Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed Reset after bootloop.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:08 PM

I have a 4+yo Asus laptop that has just been upgraded from Win 7 Home Premium 64bit to the 10 equivalent. All was fine for just under a week, (install when fine) but then the machine went into a Bootloop. Tried all available non data destructive options - start up repair, system restore, build reversion and non data destructive Reset (reinstall windows but keep data). Nothing would work, something causes reset to abort. Decided no choice but to do a destructive/formatting reset. After a slow start it seemed to work then at around 66% complete it aborted, and now cannot find windows at all! I presume enough of the reset was completed before aborting to wipe Windows without reinstalling it. I am now stuck with a pc with no operating system!

What do I do now. I still have the original recovery discs made when purchased, but of course for 7 not 10. I have no external media for 10 and no recent system image.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:20 PM

You can download a fresh Windows 10 iso. Pick Windows 10 as you don't want the N versions. The iso works for both home and pro.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

#3 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:30 AM

Thanks. However......

I am confused by this problem. I thought the borted reset had removed 10 from the system, hence why i am getting the error message "An operating system cannot be found, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" . I decided then to try reinstalling 7 using a Boot/Install disc i already had (from an ISO File i suppose). When i loaded this disk instead of simply going thoroght the proceedure of installing 7 it tried to repair the windows 10 installation that it apparently found on the machine, i then got given the same repair options as 10 gave me when the problem first started, none of which worked.

As I type this i am downloading a 10 ISO file to put on a DVD. I  am not sure whether to wait for that and try booting from the 10 ISO disc or just go back to my original plan of a clean install of 7 and start again.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:08 AM

There are several different ways to go at this.

- install 7 and stay with it

- install 10

- install 7, then update to 10

If you've activated Windows 7 SP1 or W10 on the internet - then the system "hash" will be stored on Microsoft's servers.

This will allow you to install W10 without needing to input a product key.
To do it, install W10 and skip the 2 requests to enter the product ID.  Once the system boots to W10, check to see if it's activated.  It should be - I've done this on 4 computers at work and it worked on every one of them.

BUT - since you're having problems, it depends on how much time you want to spend playing with the OS's

The safest way is to install W7 and see how the system works.

Then you can either:

- stay w/7

- update to 10

- clean install 10

FYI - we still follow the old adage that updates have more problems than clean installs.
That being said, updates on a brand new install have less problems then updates on systems that have been used for a while.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:57 AM

Thanks "usasma". The machine was upgraded to try and overcome some issues its 7 install was having - errors, slowdowns, etc and generally give the laptop a fresh start. The only other option wold have been a reset of 7. I had hoped upgrading to 10 would get rid of some of the problems 7 was having, but perhaps what ever was affecting 7 was carried on into 10 and maybe got worse with the new features 10 added.

The last bit of your post does give me encouragement and might go some way to explaining what went wrong. it also encourages me to go back to 10 once the  laptop is working properly again with 7

I recently upgraded another ASUS laptop from 7 to 10 and have had no problems at all in the month it has been upgraded. The difference between it and the laptop with the problems is than the 7 install was a fairly recent event, having been a clean install on a replacement HDD. The 'failed upgrade' ASUS laptop in contrast was upgraded from its original 7 install (plus updates) on the original HDD. This probably made a difference.the more i think about it.

#6 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:48 PM

Whats the difference between the file downloaded via the media creation tool and the version downloaded via the 'Tech Bench; facility? I have downloaded the iso file via media creation tool and the file was too large for a DVD-R and would not copy to an external hard drive. I have a flash drive and a couple of SD cards available, could i use those in place of a DVD? Is the Tech Bench ISO any different? Smaller/more flexible to move and load onto the laptop needing help?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:14 AM

We use the techbench version at work.  It runs a couple of scripts and is (IME) a bit more reliable than the standard version when you're doing an update.

Just run the scripts with powershell, and select the defaults.
Keep an eye on the script to see if says anything ominious (and if unsure, post it here for us to have a look at).

One of the early actions of the script may be to ask for the place that's running the script - just put in a text string of your choice.  It stores this somewhere, so I wouldn't be funny about it in case it goes out on the web (like to Miicrosoft's servers - which it probably does).

The media creation tool will ask you questions about which version you're installing, then will let you select the ISO to install from.

More details (with screenshots) here:  http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9230-windows-10-iso-download.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:33 AM

Thanks but sorry, Techbench looks a bit too advanced for my level of PC Knowledge. I thought it was just a case of downloading and copying to disc or flash drive. Thats really what i want, an ISO file that does most of it for me. Thats why i am frustrated that i couldnt get the Media Creation Tool version to work as i wanted (burnt to DVD). 

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:40 AM

What sort of error did you receive with the Media Creation tool? 

Did you try following the steps in the link that I provided?

#10 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:47 AM

What sort of error did you receive with the Media Creation tool? 

Did you try following the steps in the link that I provided?

No, not an error as such, my prefered option was to burn to DVD but the file was too big for a standard DVD-R. Thats why i tried to use the the Tech bench version. Could try creating a bootable USB Flash Drive, but again I dont have anything bigger than 4GB and until i clear a device and try i dont know if it will work that way either (not without buying new).

#11 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:53 AM

Update: Managed to create a bootable USB for 10 via the Creation Tool. Ran it and while it gave me one or two other options to try to recover things i still ended up going around in circles for a while before telling be i had no other option but a clean install. Which is what i suspected might happen but i had to try all other avenues first.

Looked at ways to save the data on the machine and found i could access it using a Linux Live CD but as there is quite a lot of data there i started to think of ways to avoid losing the data in the first place, primarily through partitions. All or most of the user data is on a seperate partition to the OS. Can i just reinstall windows on the OS partition and preserve the data partition? I think i have seen that optionon one of my recovery or installation discs but i am not sure if it will work in this case?

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:07 AM

In most cases it will work this way - but be sure to place the partition at the end of the disk.
Be careful, as some choices during the installation may unknowingly wipe the drive - that's why it's suggested to back it up separately.

You also may be able to mark the partition (after making it and transferring the data) as read-only.  That'll be one more thing to help ensure the data isn't accidentally wiped.

Finally, this caveat:  I don't do this often, and haven't done anything like it in a long time.  I'd post over in the forums of the software that you're using to partition the disk just to be sure.

#13 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:23 PM

No the disc was already partitioned using the windows tool. Anyhow I got the data backed up and used a windows 7 ISO disc to do a clean install of 7 over the top of the corrupted 10 installation. The installer on the disc let me select the OS partition only and install is now done with data on the other partition intact. All looks good.

Not sure now whether to put the software back and leave 10 for now or go ahead and upgrade before reinstalling the software. Pros and cons to either approach.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:03 AM

I've been thinking about this - and the ability of W7SP1 and W8.1 to store their activation on the Microsoft servers.

So, I think to myself, why not assume the same thing for W10? (this means that you must be sure that W10 was activated after installing it)

And, if that's the case, then you should be able to install W10 on the same hardware even after the free year has expired.

This is just a theory and will have to wait until next year to be tested - but it makes sense as it'll allow the folks who updated with the year to reinstall if necessary.

In most cases, updating/upgrading an OS will go much smoother if you have a fresh, clean installation than if you have an older, clutterd installation.
That being said, there's no guarantee's that it'll work.
But as you're able to go back to W7 if you want - I'd try going back to 10 even if just to see if it'll work for you.

Then, if unsatisfied, return to W7 and stay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users