Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover Excel and Word files from USB drive (one or two sub-folders deep).

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:43 PM

From a Sandisk Ultra 3.0 USB drive (64GB), my mother mistakenly deleted a folder (with one or two levels of sub-folders) that had about 40 Excel and Word files.  I had her send me the drive so that I can try to recover these files.  They contain years of critical data related to my disabled brother's health, benefits, and the like.  Recreating this information would be a horrendous undertaking.

What program gives me the best chance of recovering these files?  Paid software is completely fine.  I'm not looking for 'free'.  I'm looking to fix the problem.

Mother is in a bit of a panic.   At 77 years old, she does not need to deal with this, so I will do whatever I can to recover the data.

The USB drive arrived today, but my research thus far has left me unclear as to the best plan of attack.  I welcome advice and recommendations before attempting to proceed.

(Mother had had a computer issue and moved the files to the USB drive.  Once that issue was fixed (remotely by Dell or Microsoft), she began returning files to the computer.  One of her mistakes (and yes, there were several) was accidentally deleting a top-level folder from the USB drive before returning the those files to the computer.  That folder holds these critical Excel and Word files.)

Edited by hamluis, 15 January 2016 - 12:48 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:57 PM

You could try something like TestDisk.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:08 PM

You can download Testdisk for Windows and do a Quickscan. It may find deleted files in red. You can select the files by highlighting and pressing the ":" key. You can copy the files after highlighting by pressing upper case "C". The default location of recovery is the folder you unzipped Testdisk for Windows to. There is a Quick Scan and a Deeper Search option in Testdisk.

In the Testdisk folder is a program called PhotoRec that will scan the drive and recover the files. Recover the files to your hard drive and not back to the USB flash drive or you will lose the files. The files recovered with have a generic file name with a correct extension. You would need to open the files and rename them accordingly. Do not use QPhotorec which is also in the folder of TestDisk as it is not as powerful as PhotoRec.

PhotoRec Step by Step

Edit: Video on Testdisk and PhotoRec. It is using linux but the procedure is the same.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 September 2015 - 02:10 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:18 AM

If the folder your trying to recover is less than 1 GB, you can also use the Free version of Easus Data Recovery as an alternative http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm

Tekken

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:21 PM

I was told Disk Internal data recovery tools are amongst the best, very similar in power & efficiency to what has already been mentioned.  I was going to suggest either Stellar or R-Studio, however, such might be reduntant, given earlier great suggestions by earlier posters.

Edited by RolandJS, 31 December 2015 - 09:21 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users