Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

raw external hard disk

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 paulos123

paulos123

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:21 PM

hello guys,

first of all im using win 8,1 64 bit .

its been some time that i cant install the windows updates.

when i hit install and it says that is downloading the updates it freezes.

so without the new updates i see that i cant safely remove my hard disk(external)

so im removing my external hard drive just like that

and today my 2tb seagate external became raw(one of the two partitions)

i really need your help here to restore the disk to its normal status and find a solution with win updates cause i dont want this to happen again.

wating asap for your answer

thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:32 PM

Firstly, I would not have the external drive attached when doing updates. 

That being said I would download Testdisk for Windows and unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. Run Testdisk and do a QuickSearch. After a QuickSearch does it detect both partitions on the external drive? Highlight the RAW partition and press the "P" key. Do you see your files on the RAW partition? 

Windows  This is the file to download

If doing a QuickSearch does not detect both partitions then do a deeper Search. 

Do you have enough space on your internal drive to copy the files from the RAW partition?

TestDisk step by step

#3 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:59 PM

i dont want to recover my files with a recovery program,it will take ages

i tried to fix a raw usb once with test disk and it suceeded

no im afraid not to do any mistake and loose the files.....................

cause its a hdd with 1tb full of media(the raw partition)

Edited by paulos123, 25 September 2015 - 12:59 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:01 PM

Using testdisk to copy the files will not take ages if it can see the partition. I only suggested it because if writing a new partition table goes bad there is always a small chance it would go bad and you would then need to recover the files using another method which would take ages.

#5 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:35 PM

i pressed quick search......it really seems to take ages........

i ll wait though.................

i want to recover the partition table.

any other way or program to access my files?

fyi disk became raw only cause of taking it off without safe remove

health and performance is 100%(hard disk sentinel)

also checked smart and looks ok

just raw system needs to be changed and fixed

i just cant afford to loose all these files

Edited by paulos123, 25 September 2015 - 01:47 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:50 PM

A 2TB drive will take awhile to scan even on Quick Search. See this guide on writing a partition table with Testdisk. Don't write a partiton table unless you can see files from both partitions pressing the P key.

You can try booting a linux distro like Parted Magic, It may see the partition where Windows fails. Burn the iso to disk. See this guide.

A couple of other options. Partition Find and Mount. If it detects your RAW partition it allows you to mount it as a virtual disk. It has a quick and thorough scan.

Partition Wizard by Minitools allows you to try doing a partition recovery. If it finds your partition then double click it to see your files. If you see your files on both partitions then you can write a new partition table. It also has a quick and thorough scan.

#7 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:55 PM

still 26%.............

going very slow

after the scan how possible is it for new parttion table write,to go bad?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:00 PM

I can't tell you what the odds are. If you find both partitions of the 2TB drive and you can see all files by pressing the P key on both partitions then I would say the odds are good. You can easily copy the files from the partition by pressing "a" and then upper case "C". The files and folders will copy to the folder you unzipped Testdisk to by default. You would need at least enough space on your hard drive as the amount of data on your RAW partition.

#9 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:04 PM

i really dont have enough space for copy..........

i was hoping to make the partition usable and visible again

if there is a possibility this to fail and lose the files then its better to order a new hdd and copy the files there.........

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:15 PM

That would be the best option. You could also copy a few files at at time and then transfer them to another device or to the cloud. You would highlight the files/folders you want to copy and instead of press the "a" key press the ":" key.

There is always the possibility a partition write can go bad no matter how small. It depends on how much you value the data. 

#11 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:57 PM

im waiting all day an still it is 83%

as i mentioned i dont have enough space to copy

if i try to create new partition and fix the disk mand make it as it was............it perfect

but if this fails as you say then next time i ll do a quick test im not gonna find my files to copy them?

johnc_21 till now i really appreciate your help and your guidness,thanks a lot and sorry for asking all those,

is just i need to recover the partition cause all my files from ever are there.............

and try with recovery programs isnt a good idea for me,it takes ages and with corrupted files

please advice

thanks again

Edited by paulos123, 25 September 2015 - 02:57 PM.

#12 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:16 PM

scan finished............

it didnt find any partition and since quick search took hours,im not gonna do a deeper search

i dont know what to do..im losing it............

i need to fix the disk

all this time i had hard disk sentinel to monitor the disk and its 100% healthy drive

just its RAW

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:23 PM

A RAW partition indicates file system corruption. You can try using Partition Wizard's partition recovery wizard but that would scan the drive similar to Testdisk. 

I think at this point your best option is to get another hard drive and then use a program like Easeus Data Recovery or Minitools Data Recovery to scan the drive and recover what files it can to the new drive. Both of these are paid programs. You can also use PhotoRec, included in the Testdisk folder, but any files it recovers has generic file names with the correct extensions. You would need to open the files and rename them accordingly. Another free program is Recuva. This would also scan the drive. You can use Recuva to scan the drive and recover a few files to see if they are corrupt or not. PhotoRec recovers files in real time so you would need a disk with enough capacity to recover all your data.

#14 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:02 AM

i tried as i told before testdisk at quick scan and didnt find anything

same with partition find and mount

i boot into linux and doesnt see files either(at least it sees the amount of my files which means they still exist and disk isnt formated)

with easeus recovery it ll take ages and my files will be corrupted or messed up(tried it before)

i dont know what to do there must be a solution

also with mini tools partition i followed the instructions.........

it sees my partitions i do what is written here http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/partition-recovery.html

but in the end no option to apply solution

i booted with gpated but dont know exactly what to do

last thing i see that hard disk is now always working not being at 0%

on task manager is 80% and most of times its working with no reason

Edited by paulos123, 26 September 2015 - 06:08 AM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:29 AM

When you used Partition Wizard did you see both your partitions at this screen?

partition-recovery-3.jpg

If you did, then you need to double click each partition to see if there are any files listed. If you see your files in each partition then check both partitions and select finish. If Partition Wizard did not find your partitions then I believe your only option would be to use a professional data recovery service. The only way Easeus would corrupt your files is if the disk was failing and doing a scan stressed the drive further. Your drive tested okay. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 September 2015 - 07:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users