Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DIMMs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 biferibiferi

biferibiferi

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:16 PM

I have been all over google and maybe it is my Bad Eyes.

So can you just tell me how Long is  DDR1  DDR2  and  DDR3  in Inches?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:52 PM

What is is it...that you are trying to accomplish?

The actual size of RAM modules...is not necessarily important, it's the number of pins used for contact by each module...which is a prime distinguishing physical characteristic.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-ddr-ddr2-and-ddr3-memories/7/

Louis

#3 biferibiferi

biferibiferi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:24 PM

Thank you.

Am I right all SIMMs are eather  EDO   FPM   

And am I right all SIMMs are eather   30 pin 32 Bits None Paridy  and  72 Pin 64 Bit Paridy?

Do I have all this right?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:18 PM

I think you can look such data up...using Google.  I never pretend to be an expert or consultant of any kind...least of all for computer hardware.

My best skill is looking desired info up...that's something anyone can do :).

Louis

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:01 PM

Thank you.

Am I right all SIMMs are eather  EDO   FPM   

And am I right all SIMMs are eather   30 pin 32 Bits None Paridy  and  72 Pin 64 Bit Paridy?

Do I have all this right?

There were EDO and FPM SIMM's, and you could get parity and non-parity versions.  A parity bit provided a sort of basic error correction.

30 pin SIMM's were 8 bit, and 72 pin SIMM's were 32 bit.  This meant, for fully 32 bit 386DX and 486's CPU's - 30 pin SIMMs had to be installed in fours.  Pentium (P5) era boards took 72 pin SIMM's, which IIRC had to be fitted in pairs with that CPU (because the Pentium had a 64 bit data bus), but could be fitted singly in 486's which had a 32 bit bus.

Obviously we're talking about comparatively ancient hardware here... 

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:47 PM

Something else to keep in mind when your talking memory is whether you want memory for a tower or a lap top

Memory for a laptop is shorter and sort of lays down one on top the other,

Another thing your PC memory is limited to what the mother board and Bios can support.

It is not much use putting 2 sticks of 1 Tetra byte memory if the board will only support 2 100GB sticks. It will only use 200 GB the rest is just wasted and your $$$.

Finding out what your motherdoard/bios can support can sometimes be a challenge. More common boards most places will list but some proprietary boards can be a challenge.  According to HP who made the board it is not even listed.

HP 15-foo9wm Notebook 1GHZ CPU 2 [4mb] memory 500GB HDD  Mobo hp 2330 99.24

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users