Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corel Word Perfect Trial Nightmare

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lula1023

Lula1023

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:58 AM

Can someone please help simplify this for me.

Since Uninstalling WordPerfect days ago, I'm unable to open any  .docx  files... now they are  .wp17.docx  files and every time Windows - Easy File Opener pops up w message, "cannot open .docx file...  ?

I selected Yes Convert my Office2007 Word docs to whatever Word Perfect does, thinking it'd undo and redo when uninstalled, but no such luck! And I refuse to purchase it now because this is unethical IMHO.

The option to select help from web to open the file, takes me to the same site-type where I found Corel in the first place, (Ahh,Win10, take me away soon..)

So? Yes, I have back up files from a month ago. Thanks to Bleeping Advice, now that I think about it.

And only a handful of them need updating again. Since preview pane copy/paste has been working, I can always re-type a few not 100's.

I say re-type this because as link below explains well over my head, why even the new docx I'm tring to re-create have same open issues again, the next time accessed.

So, just delete My Documents Library and repace with ones on flash drive?

Or, can I use a Briefcase File and replace contents for the handfull needing updates?

Or, can I recover "lost data files" with one of Bleeping's Apps?

Or, I'm not past purchasing a new Win10 with Office 365, but would like to be able to give this to parents and use on long visits but new Word documents issue too?

What would you do if you were me? take it to Staples? Thanks for listening,

Lula Kate

Word for Word Perfect Users

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2015 - 11:16 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Business Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:08 AM

There might be an easy way to solve this, I hope.  Libre Office can read and ReSave almost all forms of DOCs, DOCXs, and most if not all Word Perfect documents from DOS-age to present age.  You might want to download, install, test Libre Office.  Accept all defaults concerning file extensions.  And, consider installing the extra help EXE as well.

Edited by RolandJS, 25 September 2015 - 11:08 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:15 AM

Hi Lula1023  and welcome,

Roland is correct libre office or open office will deal with those files on a extra point both are completely FREE and open source

Good luck

Hedge

PS You might be able to retrieve the originals by right clicking on one of the files > properties > previous versions

and if there are previous versions > restore  hope that works. 

Edited by hedgeley, 25 September 2015 - 11:23 AM.

#4 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:31 AM

@ Lula

Your topic has moved please return to the forum index

Hedge

You have two replies

Mod Edit:  Merged OP topics - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2015 - 11:47 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:33 AM

Office 2007 should open .docx files. Right click the wp17.docx file and select Open With then select Word 2007 from the list.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/12196-open-change-default-program.html

#6 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:27 PM

Open Office didn't do it for me, but Libre Office opened every one of my old World Perfect 10 files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users