Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean install issue

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 myym

myym

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:46 AM

I want to make a clean install of Win8 on my wife's Toshiba laptop, but I want to use my friends installation disc to avoid installing bloatwares that comes when installing from the copies I already have from Toshiba. 

First, is it possible to use a retail installation disc to reinstall Win8 on this laptop?

Second, I can't see the license number tag on the bottom of the laptop, how can I get the license that is used in my laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:59 AM

Showkey [exe or vbs] is one freebie of many that should give you the license/product key of your Windows.  Belarc Advisor should be able to also.  Productkey is another.  I believe all of these can be downloaded from BC downloads section.

Edited by RolandJS, 25 September 2015 - 09:59 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:38 AM

Hi Myym,

You can download the Windows 8.1 install DVD that match what you have now directly from Microsoft here.

About the key don't worry about it because its embedded in the UEFI/BIOS firmware and Windows will activate automatically if you use the same Windows Edition.

During install if it asks for a key simply click Skip.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:00 PM

Thanks guys for the help it was very helpful

SleepyDude,

do I need to install first Win8 and then install Win8.1? or can I just download the Win 8.1 from the link you provided?

Edited by myym, 25 September 2015 - 12:04 PM.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:09 PM

SleepyDude,
do I need to install first Win8 and then install Win8.1? or can I just download the Win 8.1 from the link you provided?

No the tool will download only Windows 8.1 updated.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:07 AM

I just saw Win 10 icon placed on the laptop so I can download it, but can I download it free of charge or is it a trial version? how to obtain a serial number for that?

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:08 AM

I just saw Win 10 icon placed on the laptop so I can download it, but can I download it free of charge or is it a trial version? how to obtain a serial number for that?

Yes you can, Microsoft is giving Windows 10 for free for users with legal versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

During install of Windows 10 on the following screen

windows-10-manual-update-media-creation-

If you select Nothing it will do the equivalent to a clean install. Make sure you have a backup of your files.

Edited by SleepyDude, 26 September 2015 - 09:08 AM.

___
Rui

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:17 AM

SleepyDude, would this type of Windows 10 install, keep files & apps, be similar to old days of Windows 7 nonDestructive ["dirty"] install?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:45 AM

Hi,

SleepyDude, would this type of Windows 10 install, keep files & apps, be similar to old days of Windows 7 nonDestructive ["dirty"] install?

If you are referring to the called Windows 7 repair install this upgrade process on Windows 10 is different because it save the old installation and you have one month to revert back, also based on user reports it seems if the original OS have problems many times they are transferred to Windows 10 or even worst, new problems arrive!

___
Rui

#10 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:19 AM

SleepyDude,

can I later on make a back up copy of Win 10, in case I need to reinstall it in the future?

What about the licence for Win 10? 

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:27 AM

SleepyDude,

can I later on make a back up copy of Win 10, in case I need to reinstall it in the future?

Yes. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

What about the licence for Win 10?

Your actual license is automatically updated for Windows 10 and registered on the Microsoft servers so in case you need to reinstall Windows it will activate automatically.

___
Rui

#12 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:42 AM

Thanks SleepyDude.

Last question, is it a better choice than Win 7 or Win 8?

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:51 AM

Thanks SleepyDude.

Last question, is it a better choice than Win 7 or Win 8?

Its difficult to say.

In technical terms check the Toshiba support pages for the laptop model you have to see if they provide drivers for Windows 10 or if they have any warning about installing Windows 10 on that particular machine.

There are plenty of discussion about Windows 10 and privacy as you can see in this section of the forum and all over the web...

___
Rui

#14 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:54 AM

Sleepy Dude,

I checked the manufacture homepage and noticed that there are no drivers for Win 10 at the moment so I will wait for a while until drivers are ready for the latest Windows.

A pop up were shown from Windows that I can reserve the new version so I can install it at anytime. I decided to click on that to keep a reserve, later the windows update showed that it is controlling the requirements and soon later it started downloading it, which I cancelled as I want to wait.

I am using a different language (danish) of Windows, and I can see from the link you provided it is a tool to download, can I use this tool to download a different language version of Win 10? or is it possible to run the windows update to only download the installation file and not installing it? if so can you guide how to do it?

#15 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:08 AM

Sleepy Dude,

I checked the manufacture homepage and noticed that there are no drivers for Win 10 at the moment so I will wait for a while until drivers are ready for the latest Windows.

In some cases for older machines the manufacture don't provide drivers for Windows 10, on those cases if you are lucky Windows 10 + Windows Update have all the drivers you need and will install automatically if not you can install Windows 10 but not use all the features, some users have troubles finding drivers for graphic cards.

A pop up were shown from Windows that I can reserve the new version so I can install it at anytime. I decided to click on that to keep a reserve, later the windows update showed that it is controlling the requirements and soon later it started downloading it, which I cancelled as I want to wait.

I am using a different language (danish) of Windows, and I can see from the link you provided it is a tool to download, can I use this tool to download a different language version of Win 10? or is it possible to run the windows update to only download the installation file and not installing it? if so can you guide how to do it?

The reservation only make sense before the official release of Windows 10, now its offered by Windows Update and when all the files are on the HDD it will start nagging to install Windows 10. Some users report that it installed automatically! (not sure about this)

You can choose the language on the download tool and its IMHO a more controlled way to install Windows 10 because you can download the ISO and burn a DVD then you can start the upgrade by running the setup on the DVD when you want. You have until 29 August 2016 to upgrade for free.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users