Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo Y510P Won't boot, Disk write protected

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bransonb3

Bransonb3

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:04 AM

I have a Lenovo 510p running windows 8.1. It did an automatic update after restarting it showed a BSOD for less than a second then went into startup repair. It said "Startup repair couldn't repair your PC" it had a spot to display a log file location but it was blank. When I tried to refresh it said "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again". Reset said "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing". System restore said "To use system restore you must specify which Windows installation to restore." I only have one Windows installation. When I ran chkdsk it said (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B24yfUwZYyCQRWtySHlyc2plNEk/view?usp=docslist_api) when I did chkdsk /f it said (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B24yfUwZYyCQZHlQNFlFWmN2WGc/view?usp=docslist_api). I ran the Lenovo system restore and it restored back to factory settings, but still won't boot. If I connect the drive to another computer I'm able to see all the files but it won't boot on the other computer either.

Thanks in advance,
Branson

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:31 AM

Hi Branson,

After restoring to factory settings do you see any error during the boot process?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Bransonb3

Bransonb3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:50 AM

It comes up with a BSOD for less than a second, is there anyway to make it stay for longer?

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:55 PM

Hi,

It comes up with a BSOD for less than a second, is there anyway to make it stay for longer?

Do you have the Windows 8.1 DVD or a USB Windows Recovery Drive?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 Bransonb3

Bransonb3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:03 PM

No, is that something I could create.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:06 PM

No, is that something I could create.

Do you have another computer running Windows 8.1 and a flash drive?

___
Rui

#7 Bransonb3

Bransonb3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:52 PM

No its running Windows 10

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:19 PM

No its running Windows 10

In that case it's probably better to download the Windows 8.1 DVD directly from Microsoft http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

or during the error boot circle can you access the Advanced Options -> Command Prompt?

___
Rui

#9 Bransonb3

Bransonb3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

Yes I can

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:21 AM

Yes I can

In that case from the Command Prompt type the following:

bcdedit  /set  {globalsettings}  advancedoptions true

the result should be "The operation complete successfully" or similar

Restart the computer and now you should see a menu like this:

bootoptions-557x600.png

Press F9 to disable the automatic restart after failure and it should stop showing the error code.

Post the error code and any file name mentioned if provided.

Edit: Probably after pressing F9 you need to choose the windows installation to boot from.

Edited by SleepyDude, 26 September 2015 - 09:22 AM.

___
Rui

#11 Bransonb3

Bransonb3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for all the help. When you said something about recovery disk, it reminded me that I had the windows 8.1 installtion media creation tool. I was able to install 8.1 used the flash drive I created and as soon as it finished installing it asked if I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10. Everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks again.

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for all the help. When you said something about recovery disk, it reminded me that I had the windows 8.1 installtion media creation tool. I was able to install 8.1 used the flash drive I created and as soon as it finished installing it asked if I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10. Everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks again.

Good to know. Thanks.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users