Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Boot Into Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mystic1

mystic1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:57 AM

My computer has encountered an interesting problem. When I try to boot up in safe mode (using any one of the safe mode options), the safe mode drivers begin to load and then stop. The computer begins to reboot, I press F8 to enter safe mode options again, only to have this process repeat over and over again. I have absolutely no problem booting normally and my machine seems to run without any problems aside from this safe mode thing. I have read about this problem before on other forums but there does not seem to be any clear explanation/fix for it. Just prior to discovering my problem, I replaced a CRT monitor with an LCD. I thought perhaps this could be a video driver problem, but if so, why would it only show up when booting into safe mode?

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this? TIA for any help offered.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:30 AM

it shouldn't, but to see if there is a driver problem with your monitor go to your device manager and look for a yellow or red warning icon
system/hardware/device manager/monitor

If there is, delete the entry, reboot, and let Windows find and install it.

If not:

Start in safe mode and choose Last Known Good Configuration

Let us know.

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 July 2006 - 01:31 AM.

#3 mystic1

mystic1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:38 AM

Thanks Enthusiast for your reply. My apologies for not responding sooner. I tried what you suggested prior to my post. Hardware checks out AOKAY; using last known good config does not change anything. Still baffled, still no joy on this one.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:54 AM

Boot your computer normally and go to:

Start > right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery Settings

Uncheck Automatically Restart

Click Apply and then OK

Try rebooting into safe mode and see if your computer stops on a blue screen.

The 'Blue Screen of Death' (or BSOD) is refered to by Microsoft as a Stop Message. They can occur for many reasons. In order to diagnose it's cause we need as much info as you can give about the stop message. Please write it down and post it back here the next time it happens. In particular, it helps to have the somewhat cryptic series of numbers about half way down the blue screen that have this sort of format:

0x0000008E (Followed by four other sets of numbers in parenthesis.)

It is also helpful to know the answers to these questions:
  • What are you doing when this happens (are you on line, starting the computer, etc).
  • Does it always happen at the same time?
  • Is it always the same message, or is it a different set of numbers each time?
  • Have you added any hardware or software lately?
  • Are you experiencing any other buggy behavior from this computer (such as it runs slower than it used to, etc)?

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:52 AM

Sometimes, although not always, the problem is caused by InCD. This is a program bundled with Nero and is used to allow you to drag-and-drop files into a burnable folder. If this is what's causing your problem, the fix is to update InCD at the Nero site. If you do not have Nero on your computer, then the cause is something else. I ran into a computer the other day that did not have Nero and would not boot into Safe Mode, and I couldn't determine why - and it did not have an LCD monitor, either. Usually, if it's caused by InCD, it will begin scrolling the lettering by on a black screen and stop at mup.sys. If you think it's InCD, go here and try Update Package 3.

#6 mystic1

mystic1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:03 PM

I've been out of town since my last post. I can see I have some catch up to do.

In response to Albert Frankenstein: There was nothing out of the ordinary happening with my computer. No added hardware (other than the LCD I mentioned in my first post) or new software added. I run a very clean machine so I am reasonably confident my problem wasn't caused by a virus or some other vermon that may have gone undetected. And, as I previously stated, there were no signs of abnormal functioning when booting and running in normal mode. I simply decided to start up the pc one day into safe mode (no particuilar reason for doing so) and noticed that it wouldn't boot. I didn't force a BSOD screen to show up as you suggested so I don't know if an error message would have appeared. I chose instead to do a repair install which for now seems to have cured this little hiccup and brought a happy end to this little mystery.

In response to Herk: I have heard about problems that InCD can cause but I have not used Nero for a very long time, and when I had used Nero, booting into safe mode was not a problem.

Thanks to all who replied. Your suggestions and willingness to help was greatly appreciated!

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:08 PM

Sorry we didn't have a better answer for you. I'd certainly be interested in finding one!

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:15 AM

When you installed the lcd did you make sure you set the resolution for one it can display?
Also the refresh rate?

Look at the documentation for it and make sure your grapic adapter is set properly.

Edited by Enthusiast, 27 July 2006 - 06:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users