I had the 'blue screen of death' and opted to re-install Windows XP professional with SP2.
Install successful and activation completed but on start up and entering in password the dialogue box relating to 'activation complete' is shown and on OK returns to start menu requiring password, etc, etc.
I took advice from web to do the following but without success;
- Start your computer in safe mode (use plain safe mode).
- Login using an administrator user account.
- Go to Windows Start menu and open RUN. Or you can press on your keyboard the Windows key and letter R.
- Type CMD in the run textbox and click on OK. This will open the command prompt window.
- Type this last command (type exactly as what you see here):