Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP activation loop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 culvercrew`

culvercrew`

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:04 AM

I had the 'blue screen of death' and opted to re-install Windows XP professional with SP2.

Install successful and activation completed but on start up and entering in password the dialogue box relating to 'activation complete' is shown and on OK returns to start menu requiring password, etc, etc.

I took advice from web to do the following but without success;

1. Start your computer in safe mode (use plain safe mode).
  2. Login using an administrator user account. 
  3. Go to Windows Start menu and open RUN. Or you can press on your keyboard the Windows key and letter R.
  4. Type CMD in the run textbox and click on OK. This will open the command prompt window.
  5. Type this last command (type exactly as what you see here):
    rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

Advice welcome

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:32 AM

Activation issues...are between user and Microsoft. 

FWIW:  All "advice from web" is not necessarily good, trustworthy advice or in consonance with legal use of software.

Louis

#3 culvercrew`

culvercrew`
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:57 AM

Thx Louis

Was hoping from a technical forum for more of a technical bias to the support reply rather than a 'soapbox' comment fwiw....

"we learn by experience and sometimes you have to balls it up to make the learning experience really useful"

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:09 AM

Well...IMO, activation is a legal issue between Microsoft and whoever attempts to install MS products.  There is no "technical" aspect to such, IMO...but Microsoft may see otherwise.

That quote you made...seems to say it all, IMO.

Louis

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:06 AM

If I've understood correctly, you're saying that you installed Windows XP SP2, activated it, and now when you login you're greeted with the activation window. The activation window lists the activation process as successfully completed. When you close the activation window you are logged back out to the Welcome screen. You are able to boot in safe mode.

I've never experienced this issue, but I've read loads of posts (on other sites) of people who've experienced login-logout loops for various reasons. Having never experienced this issue, nore being an XP expert, I cannot help solve your issue, but here are my two-cents:
1. Try googling "login logout loop + Windows XP" if you haven't already. Perhaps you'll find something applicable to your situation. But research commands before you type any of them.
2. Boot up in safe mode, and login into the Administrator account, not your administrative account. Then create a new administrative account. Reboot, and login using the new account. This way you can test to see if the issue is specific to your normal user account.
3. Worst comes to worst, try a re-install.

If you do discover a fix, please post it, so others can benefit. I, for one, am curious as the the cause and fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users