Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows update svchost

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ladnor

ladnor

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:47 AM

I'm having problems with windows update svchost.

Update will not check for updates, or downloads show 0 downloaded. Previously a whole batch were downloaded but shown as cancelled in history. One of the updates is windows 7 sp1, but it is already installed.

After stopping update, svchost keeps running and uses 50% or more of cpu, slows everything down and fan keeps running. The only way I’ve found to stop this svchost is to restart.

I have reinstalled windows and the ultimate factory reset with no luck. I have run mbytes, avast and rkill but no problems found. Also chkdsk and sfc scanow.

I have tried to find how to remedy the problem on the net, but I can’t understand it, old age I’m afraid. Can anyone help PLEASE, in plain easy to follow language

Would be very grateful

Thanks, Ron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:44 AM

Hi Ron,

there's a chance that this is not malware, but a problem with windows updates.

Could you try to install this update manually and see if that helps:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3050265

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 ladnor

ladnor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:04 AM

Hi Sillyberry,

Thanks for quick reply

I ran the update client and three probs were fixed but I had "0x80070057 error can't be fixed"

I'm wondering if my laptop is past it's sell by date, getting a few problems recently. F3 key doesn't work on registry search and WIFI keeps dropping out showing no connections available, I reset the router but it happens again after a while. All niggling things but a pain after a while. I guess I may need a new laptop but on a pension it isn't easy

Regards

Ron.

#4 ladnor

ladnor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:00 PM

Forgot to mention, it's a Toshiba Satellite 650c.

I'm not too clever on these things but could a low cmos battery be causing problems?

Ron

#5 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,779 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:27 PM

Hi,

I would not think that this is a hardware issue, they sound more like software problems. So you could probably fix it all by reformatting and reinstalling Windows. I also doubt that a low cmos battery would be the issue. Have you been noticing other problems like wrong time stamps etc? Those are typically indicators of a low cmos battery.

Did you try to install the update manually, or through windows update?

Please try and see if Windows-Repair will help:
Download Windows Repair (All In One) Download
Windows Repair is a utility that contains numerous mini-fixes for Windows. This tool will allow you to repair common issues with your computer such as firewall, file permission, and Windows Update problems. When using this tool you can select the particular fixes you would like to launch and start the repair process. This tool also comes in a portable version that allows you to use the program from a portable device such as a USB flash drive.
Run the repairs below:
  • Reset Registry Permissions
  • Reset File Permissions
  • Register System Files
  • Repair WMI
  • Repair Windows Firewall
  • Repair Internet Explorer
  • Repair MDAC & MS Jet
  • Repair Hosts File
  • Remove Policies Set By Infections
  • Repair Icons
  • Repair Winsock & DNS Cache
  • Remove Temp Files
  • Repair Proxy Settings
  • Unhide Non System Files
  • Repair Windows Updates

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#6 Inkedup209

Inkedup209

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:53 PM

I think you have might have what I got a RAT and worm. Do you see flash player update and also windows VB .NET framework updates as well?

#7 ladnor

ladnor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:45 PM

Hi all
I did a factory reset from disks, which formats disk, would this have wiped off any nasties in there? Also ran Windows rescue disk I made when I got laptop. Downloaded wui and ran it...no luck.
Wifi connection keeps dropping out then restarting, no wifi connections available and I used to see nearby wifi connections but they don't show now
Would a wifi usb overcome my problems?
Regards
Ron

#8 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,779 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:00 AM

Hi,

When did you do the factory reset? If you just did a factory reset, then yes that should have removed the nasties. Are you in the process of reloading all updates now? If so I would recommend that you repost in the Windows7 forums, where someone will be able to help you more efficiently.

From the description it doesn't sound like malware, at least.

regards
myrti

#9 ladnor

ladnor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:06 PM

I'm totally bemused. Windows update wouldn't work and diagnosis came up with an error that nothing would resolve. A couple of days later as I turned off laptop it said 234 updates  were ready to be installed. It took some time as you can guess, not all were installed and each time I tried to turn off it said so many updates were ready to be installed, this happened again and finally all updates were installed, all 234 of them.

If I didn't know better, if I do, I would think someone else was controlling my laptop. I downloaded who's on my wifi and it seemed all clear 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users