Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keep Win7 Back-up Image?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:38 AM

I have a couple Macrium Reflect back-up images I made before upgrading to 10. At this point I am fully committed to 10. Are there any reasons to keep the Win 7 images? They are stored on an external HD which has lots of free space but I like to get rid of stuff I do not need just to keep my life simple and uncluttered. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:57 AM

You do not absolutely need those system images of Windows 7 since you state that you are committed to Windows 10, but if you can afford the space, it does no harm to keep them for a few extra months. Do you have installation media of just Windows 7 OS itself, like an ISO on a DVD or a USB? If not, go ahead and keep your Windows 7 system images a few more moths until you really see everything about Windows 10.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:58 AM

Do you have installation media of just Windows 7 OS itself, like an ISO on a DVD or a USB?

Yes, I have an OEM DVD which should be ok to reinstall on the same machine. 

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:01 AM

What about storing said images on a USB flash drive, labeling it on the outside, sticking it into your software drawer?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:09 AM

Do you have installation media of just Windows 7 OS itself, like an ISO on a DVD or a USB?

Yes, I have an OEM DVD which should be ok to reinstall on the same machine. 

I vote to just delete those system images. They are just taking up space at this point.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:12 AM

What about storing said images on a USB flash drive, labeling it on the outside, sticking it into your software drawer?

I do not have a USB flash drive and it is not worth spending $$ to get one when I have tons of space available on my external HD.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:22 PM

I save everything - I still have 5¼" and 3½" floppies with programs on them from the DOS days.

But if you don't need it, then feel free to get rid of it.  The only concern is whether you'll need it in the future or not.

For W10 - if the system is activated with Microsoft, you can just reinstall it again.

I've done 4 clean installations of previously activated systems without entering a product key.

I bypass the 2 screens that ask for it, and when I get into the OS, it's already activated (as long as it's connected to the web while doing this).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users