Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions for an upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hman123467

hman123467

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:44 AM

Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade my current mobo/RAM/CPU (most likely all of them) but I don't know what kind I need and how I would replace it (ie reinstall Windows). My current setup is:

mobo: Gigabyte g31m-es2l
GPU: Gigabyte GT740
CPU: Intel Pentium E5200@2.4GHZ LGA775
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar

Cheers,
hman out

Ps this is a bit off-topic but when you upgrade to Windows 10 do you have an option of 32bit or 64bit because I'm looking at going from 32bit to 64bit?

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2015 - 11:10 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:24 AM

Yes there is x64 iso's for Windows 10 Pro and Normal

#3 scottc67

scottc67

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:26 PM

Lots of places to start thinking...here's how I'd start wrapping my mind around this.

-What will the primary use be for the maching? Gaming vs general internet / word processing, for example.

-That decision will steer you toward certain chipsets / mobos / hardware. For instance, if you need high gpu performance, pick out a card then start looking for cpu / mobo combinations that work for that gpu.

-Or, if you find a chpset you like, that will narrow your list of mobos to work with and you can looking at mobo features.

There are several really good websites that let you piece together systems and help make sure hardware is compatible and will help you price the build out. G'luck.

#4 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:43 AM

You will not really be upgrading anything, you will be buying/building a whole new computer. Be aware of the pros and cons of windows 10 before getting it.

Yeah the main issues are what will you be doing with the new machine, and how much money can you spend.

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:26 PM

If your pc is not 64 compatible, you will not be able to upgrade to Windows 10 64 bit.

Edited by Captain_Chicken, 27 September 2015 - 08:27 PM.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users