Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen error 0x0000007E

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 victorq97

victorq97

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:51 PM

Clean installed windows 7 ultimate sp1 from dvd and every time when my laptop reboots, I get this blue screen of death. I ran memtest86 and no errors were found in memory. Also, what's weird about this blue screen error is the fact that it is persistant, basically meaning that this blue screen occurs even when I format my hard drive and reinstall windows from scratch.

Besides getting a blue screen, I also occasionally get this when I reboot/shutdown: 

Laptop specs: http://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c04693459

Original installed OS: Windows 8.1

OS is a full retail version

Age of system: about 3 weeks old

Age of OS installation: clean installed the OS a day ago

Attached Files

Edited by victorq97, 24 September 2015 - 09:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:03 AM

Hi Victorq97 & Welcome to the forums ^_^,

I just checked the ZIP file but cannot find any dump files :(
Could you please see if there are any dump files in the folder - C:\Windows\Minidump

I see that there are two folders inside that folder, please zip up the folders and attach them with your next post so that I can analyze the dump files :)

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#3 victorq97

victorq97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:45 AM

I accidentally deleted my dump files with ccleaner

Edited by victorq97, 25 September 2015 - 06:48 AM.

#4 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:33 AM

I accidentally deleted my dump files with ccleaner

Aww. Please don't use that software till we are troubleshooting the system. If the crashes happen often, you would have the dump files in no time (Provided everything else is right).

Once you have the dump files, just ZIP them up and then upload with your next post so that we could analyze them :)

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#5 victorq97

victorq97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:16 PM

Apparently, now I don't get any blue screen of deaths on restart/shutdown but instead I get this: 

does this issue have anything to do with my graphics drivers?

Edited by victorq97, 25 September 2015 - 12:18 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:07 PM

The fact that this is an error in a Windows driver makes this more likely to be a hardware problem.

But this could also be a compatibility issue - or a low-level driver issue.  It depends on what you've installed/haven't installed on the system up to this point.

Please see the Usual Causes section here:  http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x0000007E

Only 227 Windows Updates installed.  Most systems with SP1 have 300 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).

These devices have problems in Device Manager:

Not Available    ACPI\SMB0001\3&11583659&0    The drivers for this device are not installed.
Not Available    ACPI\HPQ6007\3&11583659&0    The drivers for this device are not installed.
Microsoft Watchdog Timer    ACPI_HAL\PNP0C18\0    This device cannot start.
PCI Device    PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_5229&SUBSYS_80B0103C&REV_01\4&16246919&0&0012    The drivers for this device are not installed.

The first one is either the Touchpad, Wireless Button, or Chipset drivers - try each one until one works

The second one is most likely The 3D DriveGuard driver

The Microsoft Watchdog Timer is the wd.sys in your BSOD - Get ALL Windows Updates.

The last one is most likely the Realtek Multimedia Card Reader

Please install the drivers for all of these devices

Beyond this I have these 4 suggestions:
1.  Get ALL available Windows Updates.  It may take several trips to get them all
2.  Get ALL available, compatible updates for your OS from the manufacturer's website.
3.  Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
4.  If all of the hardware tests pass, then run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

Edited by usasma, 25 September 2015 - 05:08 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 victorq97

victorq97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:41 PM

The Microsoft Watchdog Timer is the wd.sys in your BSOD - Get ALL Windows Updates.

The wd.sys bsod occurs only when clean installing windows 7 on a formatted hard drive. For example, if I go and format by hard drive right now and install windows 7 all over again, my computer will still get the wd.sys bsod on the first reboot.

#8 victorq97

victorq97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:44 PM

Only 227 Windows Updates installed.  Most systems with SP1 have 300 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).

Windows update says that my computer is up to date.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:02 AM

There are no windows 7 drivers provided by HP for your laptop model unfortunately. There are 2 workarounds you could do in your case. Reinstall the original Windows 8.1 operating system and or upgrade to Windows 10 but make sure to check your BIOS version as there is a lone version that provides support for Windows 10. Another thing worth trying is installing the graphics driver (AMD) of the Windows 8.1 OS and use the compatibility method. Right-click the exe driver installer and choose Properties. Look for Compatibility tab and choose Windows 7.Hit Apply and follow the rest of the prompts.

Tekken

#10 victorq97

victorq97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:59 PM

Microsoft Watchdog Timer    ACPI_HAL\PNP0C18\0    This device cannot start.

So how do you start the Microsoft Watchdog Timer?

#11 victorq97

victorq97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:09 PM

added updated diagnostic reports

Attached Files

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:31 PM

Starting the Watchdog Timer depends on what's causing it to not start.

If it's a software issue, replacing it may help.

You can try running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt

But it can also be a hardware problem - in which case you have to replace the hardware.

As for which hardware, I'd suspect the motherbaord or the processor.

Run some processor diagnostics to see if the processor is to blame:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html#cpustress

Unfortunately there are no motherboard tests that are very reliable - so the solution there is replacing the motherboard - which is an expensive and tedious chore to do on just a guess by me.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users