Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autochk/Chkdsk Error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFGhost

OFGhost

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:03 PM

Every time I restart my computer, I receive this error message:

2q99bmh.jpg

At this point I don't think that system restore would help me. It's been too long since I first noticed this problem. (And yes, I'm an idiot for not taking action sooner.) I'm just hoping this isn't a serious problem. I don't really know the difference between Autochk and Chkdsk, but today I got a Windows notification saying that I needed to run Chkdsk because an Avast antivirus file was corrupt. I tried to run Chkdsk, and the program started to run but gave up immediately. So I can't get Chkdsk to run either. Is anyone familiar with this error and how to solve it?

I have a GatewayP7YS0

Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:10 AM

Please use the directions below and try running the chkdsk again.

Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the hdd and recovers any readable information.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png, then type in cmd in the Search programs and files box.  When cmd is seen in Programs above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Copy and paste chkdsk /r in the command prompt, then press Enter.  Please note:  If this is a SSD, do not run the /r switch, use the /f switch.  

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

When the scan is finished please download and run ListChkdskResult.

This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan.  Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.

If the scan fails to complete again, please do the following.

Please download and run SeatTool for Windows.

When the website opens scroll down till you find the I Accept button and click on it.

If you scroll down below this button you will find instruction for installing this.

Once you install this program you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for hdds on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB port.

2.  Detected Drives will list the hdd/s found.  Place a check mark in the drive you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

6.  When the scan is complete you will see Test results, post the status.  If it is green it has passed the scan.

Edited by dc3, 25 September 2015 - 09:14 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:28 AM

Not being able to do a chkdsk with avast installed is a known issue. If your hard drive passes the Seatools test uninstall avast and see if chkdsk runs.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=174575.0

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=173836.0

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 September 2015 - 09:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users