Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what happened?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:31 PM

I've been using this site off and on for maybe 4 or 5 years, I forget...  but, it seems to me that there used to be quicker and friendlier responses...  I don't use the site too often but I've noticed that in some places, replies are VERY slow and in other places, you can run into some very cranky people. 

A friend was looking for computer help and I pointed her to this forum today...  it's only been 6 hours since she posted but it seems like things used to get looked at quicker than that... Or, is it just certain sections that get more attention than others?  Actually, in one section I saw posts from days ago with no responses...  some of them looked like topics that someone here would DEFINITELY have answers to.  And I look at who is online and there's TONS of people.

So, maybe it is just that some sections are used more than others?
Am I imagining things or were things busier a few years ago?

Edit: I put this here thinking it fits under "comments" but if it fits the general chat better, that's fine.

Edited by millipede, 24 September 2015 - 08:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:48 PM

Yes I've noticed it too.

#3 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:00 PM

Not sure what you mean? With any community as it gets bigger you are more likely to come across a not so friendly person. However even after 10 years on BC I never thought the community was ruined. 

Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:07 PM

Not sure what you mean? With any community as it gets bigger you are more likely to come across a not so friendly person. However even after 10 years on BC I never thought the community was ruined. 

I don't consider it ruined by any means...  It just seems that some areas are getting fewer responses than I expected...  and, I'm a curious guy and wondered about it.
As for the not so friendly people...  yeah, I get that.  I hadn't been on in quite a while, then the other month I had a few questions and I ran into a couple of such people... that were SO bad, they got banned.  what some of them said to me was unbelievable...  I don't understand that.
But... when I was here a few years ago, I came across people that were a lot friendlier.  Even a few that are here now, I could be wrong but, a few seemed friendlier back then.  Who knows.  I'm just thinking out loud... or, not out loud...  out quiet?

I'm still here... I'm not running away or anything...  things just seem different...  and, my brain just wont stop...  ugh, I hate that. 
I find in some areas, there's few people watching them...  which just doesn't seem right given how many people are actually here.
I wonder a little if these sections were always quieter and given less attention...  Perhaps I never used them much back then.
The more I ramble on, the more I'm thinking this should have been a general chat post...  :/
Eh...  I don't know...  my brain just keeps going... wondering, thinking...  and, blah...  ha. 

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:11 PM

You have to keep in mind that helpers on BleepingComputer are all volunteers, and none of them are required, nor have the obligation to assist you with your issues and questions. There's no "employees" so to speak on BleepingComputer, so the answers and assistance you get all come from users that decides to give their own time to help users out. Also, a lot of users here are home users that only share their experiences and what they know, so obviously, they don't know everything and they cannot answer every questions that are being asked. In the other hands, there is indeed qualified users on BleepingComputer with the experience, skills and knowledge to answer questions accurately and offer proper assistance, however like the other users, it's impossible for them to pick up every threads there is. Personally, I could pick up every single threads in the Windows sections if I wanted to, however, do I do it? No. Why? Because I have other things to do: training here, training on Sysnative, work, being with my girlfriend, etc. I pick up threads whenever I can and if I can at least help a user out, I'm happy with it. Honestly, I would say to give at least 24 hours for a thread to receive a reply, even 48 hours. If you don't receive help then, you can start Googling a bit your question or issue and start adding more information about it in your thread to help the future user(s) that will assist you. The more information you can give, the better the changes of being assisted are. Also, some sections won't get a lot of reply maybe because there's not a lot of users that are interested in it. For instance, you'll never see me in the Graphics section since it's not my thing at all.

Maybe what I just said is a bit "rough", but to be honest, when I post on another forum, I don't expect an answer right away, but I usually get one within 48 hours, which I totally understand.

On a side note, can you link us your friend's thread? I'll take a look at it and if I can be of assistance, I'll help her out.

Also, there's the concept of "responsability" when you start posting in a thread as an helper and some people don't want to deal with that. It's hard to explain but it happens.

Edit:

This is her thread, right?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/591500/memory-compatibility/#entry3826310

A bit lenghty for me to take care of as I'm going to bed, I'll read it tomorrow when I wake up. Right away I can see it involves hardware which isn't my cup of tea but I can give it a try (depending on the question, even I get assistance when it comes to hardware, I didn't put together my build, my friend did and I ordered the hardware and put it together).

Edited by Aura, 24 September 2015 - 09:12 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:29 PM

How quickly something gets a reply depends on a number of factors:

One - does anyone know how to address the question and provide assistance

Two - if so, when is that person on

Three - how many topics are there that need addressing, and how many people are available to answer those topics

The response speed in the Log forum, for example, is down quite a bit from some years ago. For a while there, there were SO many topics posted in that forum that wait times for a reply often ran over a month. This is no longer the case. Folks may still need to wait a few days, but that is nothing in comparison to the up to 6 weeks wait we had there before.

The site is much larger than it was 10 years ago. There are many more areas, many more subjects, many more operating systems and devices. The membership has exploded; however, our staff has shrunk to a certain extent. There are many more members to staff than there used to be. Because of the size of the site, Admin. must spend much more time behind the scenes keeping things up and running. It is a much larger task than it used to be.

These are just some of the things that have altered over time. I myself don't spend as much time on BC as I used to because I simply don't have that time available any more. I have many responsibilities that have to be addressed.

I hope this addresses your concerns. Please note that if you see posts that are out of place, are spam, rude, or have other problems, please use the report button which will bring it to the moderators' attention so it can be dealt with.

Thank you for expressing your concerns,

Orange Blossom ~ forum moderator
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:33 PM

You have to keep in mind that helpers on BleepingComputer are all volunteers

Oh, I understand that quite well... and, I appreciate the help I've gotten...  there are definitely some wonderfully helpful people here.  This was just a rambling I guess..  and as I've heard responses so far and thought about it, I am thinking it is more of an issue(if one would call it that) that some sections don't get as much attention as others...  And that makes sense.

On a side note, can you link us your friend's thread? I'll take a look at it and if I can be of assistance, I'll help her out.

This is her thread, right?

Actually, yes and no.  It's complicated.  (computers usually are... ha)
she was looking for help on facebook and I came here to ask about the memory issue, the post I created that you linked above.  I don't mind waiting for hardware people to respond to that... it's not a big deal.  I just want confirmation and/or opinions but, I'm not seeking that here, just clarifying...
AFTER I posted about that, I was trying to help her with a connectivity issue.  I'm better at helping people with such issues in person where I can be at their computer but, I believe she lives MANY miles from here... I forget... I know it's not local though.  Anyway, during an attempt to change the memory, her internet stopped working...  I did some searching(duck duck go, not google... ha) and offered some suggestions for things to try.  She tried a few... her ISP couldn't help either...  So, I suggested she join and start a topic here.  She did.
And, someone is now responding.  (side note: I think there's a greater sense of urgency when a person's computer wont connect to the internet at all, which has been the case for a few days now... and, I think perhaps I empathize with that feeling...  I mean, what can we do if we can't be online?  HA)
I didn't want to sound impatient...  Just, thinking out loud I guess.  It was quite a few hours before anyone looked but, I think(again) it's forum specific.  I know in other places, depending on who is on and what the topic is, you can get responses rather fast.
It's just interesting how it varies.

At any rate...  I started this ramble, because I noticed a difference... between how I saw things work years ago and lately... but, again, I think I was looking at different sections back then.
Lots of factors...  lots of thoughts... 
Sorry for the rambling... 
And, thanks for the responses and thoughts. 

#8 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:06 PM

Just to remind you Aura we now have over 700,000 members on these forums.

Edited by CodeSmasha, 24 September 2015 - 10:08 PM.

#9 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,774 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:22 PM

Hi,

there are areas where this is definitely not true. 4-5 years ago the wait in the malware removal section could go up to 2 weeks because we were simply that backlogged with demands. Nowadays it's usually down to 2-3 days thanks to a few neat tricks grinler introduced on the forums. :)

Overall though, I think it's not so much that people reply slower, but the aforementioned factors from OB & aura. Maybe 'back in the days' more people from your time zone were online, so that they'd be online when you are.

Another thing that I wanted to point out with regards to the people online:
The list now shows the people active within the last 60 min, a few years ago we were showing only the people online in the last 20min. So the list should have tripled simply due to that change. :wink:

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:09 PM

Don't forget the tools that come pack a punch with lots of features.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users