Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

motherboard features ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bojekki

bojekki

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:20 PM

I'm thinking of building another PC. I am not an overclocker or a gamer. I want to ask about motherboard features, because there are so many options.

What motherboard features have you used that you feel are very useful or important.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:16 AM

Kind of a tricky question to answer.  Very subjective.  I like to have:

USB 3 - ports and internal headers together with further USB 2.0 headers and ports

At least 4 x SATA III ports

4 memory slots - for upgradeability

Gigabit LAN

A good quality audio section (this is subjective)

Chunky functional heatsinks on the chipset and the VRM (the blocks around the CPU socket - they can get very hot)

At least one and preferably more PCIe x1 slot for wireless card, TV card etc.

A choice of video outputs (where integrated graphics being used)

Good build quality

Possibly useful in new systems would be:

Support for M2 SSD's

Thunderbolt

USB 3.1

I can do without:

SLI or Crossfire support (although it's often included on better equipped boards anyway)

Multiple LAN ports

RAID (it's on most modern boards anyway, but I never use it)

Fancy colour schemes

On board wireless - it's easy enough to add a card unless a Mini ITX build, when it is a useful option to have if you need wireless

If your doing small form factor like Mini ITX, compromises have to be made.  Mini ITX boards all AFAIK only have 2 x memory slots and lack expandability in general.  Can't be helped.  Likewise if you are building a system on an extremely tight budget, compromises are going to have to be made.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 bojekki

bojekki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:24 AM

Thank you for your feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users