Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:12 PM

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.shtml

Msft should read article 12

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:21 PM

Not just MS, any national or multinational corporation that writes an EULA. Or any business that adds a disclaimer about the use of your personal information. The list of names is in the hundreds of thousands. If you're going to name names, name them all.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:22 PM

Actually, I truly believe MSFT has no clue that its Win10 EULA is bad.  I would be less concerned if it knew.  Scarier still, is the lack of press attention.  Just reading Paragraph 2 and 3 of aka.ms/msa, which is incorporated wholly into Win10 Paras 1b(i) and 14.. not to mention it severally applies to a wide swath of other MSFT software products.. should be front-page news.

So then why are so many silent or clueless?  I really don't get that.  My clients barely know what a Windows version even is, I have to explain that to them.  But what about those who just accept the new because it's new?

The universal human right to be clueless...

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:33 PM

@ Animal.....As you said..."The list of names is in the hundreds of thousands."  and to list them all here is therefore quite impractical.

However, I believe the point which is being made all over BC, is that because Msft is the driver of the OS which includes/encompasses many many programs which also violate our privacy...(avg, avast, etc etc)....then Msft get the lions share of the attention simply becasue they are perceived as being in the drivers seat. 

In the current climate, if a person wants a relatively easy to use, easily available Operating System ....then Windows is it. They have the market share and the 'name'.  The principle 'grrr' which has inflamed many a debate and angered many a consumer, is that msft have taken advantage of the very people who have supported them through thick and thin for over forty years.

Not to digress too far.....I believe there is a 'mindset' whereby the general approach is...."If they can do it, so therefore can I".......which is a perilously dangerous situation that has evolved and now affects us all.

edit edit: @ brainout.....I believe the human condition is called apathy

Edited by Condobloke, 24 September 2015 - 08:07 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:04 PM

The point I'm trying to make is that it is not just one company that is doing this. I do not want this particular topic to devolve into another Windows 10/Microsoft bashing topic. That has already been done ad-nauseum. If you want to discuss the Human Rights document. Then by all means discuss the document. Do NOT use the document as a pawn to further the agenda of bashing one corporation while not even acknowledging thousands doing the same thing.

So lets stick to the Human Rights document and leave EULA's out of the equation, huh? We get it, that you think Microsoft is a kitten eviscerating second coming of satan.

But I'm going to say this only once. Bash them all or have this topic closed just as quick as all the others. But ideally don't bash any and stick to discussing the subject line of Human Rights.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:23 PM

""We get it, that you think Microsoft is a kitten eviscerating second coming of satan.""....good joke....

UNITED NATIONS EDUCATIONAL, SCIENTIFIC & CULTURAL

ORGANISATION

INTERNATIONAL DIMENSIONS OF CYBERSPACE LAW

PROTECTION OF PRIVACY AND HUMAN RIGHTS IN THE

DIGITAL AGE

The Hon Justice Michael Kirby 1

http://www.hcourt.gov.au/assets/publications/speeches/former-justices/kirbyj/kirbyj_unesco1.htm

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:05 AM

Giving someone rights usually ends up taking rights away from someone else!

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:55 AM

Only if it's a positive right. For example, a right to education requires that other people pay. Whereas a right to speak freely doesn't take any right away from anyone else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_and_positive_rights

It's my understanding that in the US, certainly in "right to work" states, people do not have a right to paid holidays which are at the employers' discretion, which would be a violation of Article 24. Is that correct?

Article 24.

• Everyone has the right to rest and leisure, including reasonable limitation of working hours and periodic holidays with pay.

Edited by Al1000, 25 September 2015 - 06:59 AM.

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:07 AM

Yep, Beel.  And that's the purpose of the UN.  To take away rights, and arrogate to itself the moral high ground.  I used to believe in it, until I went there on a kind of scholarship in college, 30+ years ago.  It's degraded even more, since.  Its purpose is to make the West feel guilty all the time, and to bash.  But, it does delay wars, which was its founding purpose.

Nationalism is what protects rights.  Willingness to fight for your own nation's people.  Empires come and go, rising in a vacuum of unwillingness, falling when the empire's own members are themselves unwilling to fight for it.

So the sentiments in the UDHR are nice, but when one entity sponsors them, look out.  Because, we really are clueless, en masse.

Giving someone rights usually ends up taking rights away from someone else!

So to carry that thought a bit farther: there's a trend in history going on right now, toward a kind of universalism, pretty much the way it was going this time last century.  The MSFT thingy with Win10 is just a symptom of it.  Part of a whole.

The whole seems to be a kind of resigned wistfulness, fueled by a weariness over the too-fast-pace of change.  Was that same weariness here last century?  Could be.  People were questing something big to save them.  Spiritualism, big ideas, unity, a vastness of larger purpose to make sense of the massive changes people were going through as mechanisation engulfed them.  Remember the classic movie Metropolis?

So when we look for saviors, we start to become willing to lose freedoms.  Long-winded way to say that history seems to be repeating itself.  There doesn't need to be a UDHR.  Its political popularity means people feel meaningless, and they want to blame someone.  War follows.

Okay, shutting up now, sorry.

Edited by brainout, 25 September 2015 - 11:09 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:17 PM

Natural law dictates universal natural rights which are bestowed by the Creator of the Universe. Such rights belong equally to all and cannot be taken away without an act of injustice, oppression or conviction of crime.

Any right given by man (government or organization in any form) is a right which can be taken away as easily as it was given.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:35 PM

You all know im not a MS fanboy. And that I love sticking it to MS at any given opportunity.

But if all this is such an issue, Then stop using MS products, Simple.

Just remember this.

If it wasn't for Microsoft millions of average  people around the world would never be able to use a pc or get on line, and all the joys that go with it. You truly want somebody to blame in all this? Blame Microsoft Share holders,  If Microsoft don't make a profit that is bigger than last year heads roll. 

I bet that if at the next AGM if the share holders told the board of MS, To stop all this data gathering and selling for profit, That MS would stop it.

Yes I stuck up for Microsoft.

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:38 PM

@ quietman7  , I know precisely what you mean.

Somewhere in my ramblings, hopefully there will be a spark of light, or whatever it takes, to effect change.

Many people will (and have) scoff at my rather feeble attempts to swing the voice of opinion against msfts antics.

They (msft) will continue on their chosen path, as long as they can get away with it (make a profit)

The instant that shows any sign of changing...then the second line of your post will come into effect. ....the offending piece will be taken away as quickly as it was put there.

Am i voice in the wilderness ?

Probably.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:29 PM

With every demand for rights there should be an equal demand for responsibilities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users