Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU stops sending signals to monitor when gaming (under load)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:44 PM

Hello 

I've been having problems with my pc lately. when under load, suddenly monitor says no signal and gpu fans go at full speed (like when it does when you don't connect 12v atx's correctly) including the second one which only starts working after a certain heat level and leaving me with having to restart it.

I feel like frequency of this happening is getting rather quick. But it might be because i am stress testing on another game, so don't quote me on that, just keep in mind.

I considered psu problems, but have no ability to test it.

Also got to mention this is probably not a heat issue. Heat doesn't gradually build up, case fans don't go to %100 before this happens.

My pc isn't new, it's been working perfectly for a couple of years. Here are the specs

-Sapphire hd radeon 7950

-I7 3770k

-Corsair VS650 - 650w 

-Motherboard is pegatron ipx-something, it really doesn't matter. I know it's horrible.

-8gb of ram

Thank you for your assistance!

Edited by Galaxystarr, 25 September 2015 - 05:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:33 AM

Hi GalaxyStarr ^_^,

Could you please attach a screenshot of the Sensors and Grahpics Card tabs of the GPU-Z?

GPU-Z Download Link - https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

I feel like frequency of this happening is getting rather quick. But it might be because i am stress testing on another game, so don't quote me on that, just keep in mind.

Testing on another game? I did not get this :(

I considered psu problems, but have no ability to test it.

Detecting Power Supply problems can be very hard.

Also got to mention this is probably not a heat issue. Heat doesn't gradually build up, case fans don't go to %100 before this happens.

This does not mean that the GPU is not heating up. Did you see the temperatures (GPU-Z would help).

Also, make sure that you are not doing any kind of overclocking. In case you are doing, please reset everything to stock settings.

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#3 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:51 AM

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/15/09/25/g8m.png

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/15/09/25/zke.png

Shoulda been more clear, my bad. Problem occured two or three times when i was playing heroes of the storm. When i decided it's time to troubleshoot, and acknowledged there is a problem, i wanted to test it on a more resource intensive game and chose Battlefield 4 instead. Whatever wrong it is, it happened on the login screen of the game, while trying to load the map whereas in HoTS it was a couple minutes into the game.

Also have to add i took off the rams (two 4gigs) cleaned them and changed their socket with each other. I ran battlefield 4 again and was able to play about 5 minutes then i decided to close the game because it was super late.

Is there any way i can guarantee this problem might be gone and it was because of the rams? like a stress test maybe?

-Enes

Edit: Played a round of bf4, i'd say about 15 minutes. Nothing happened.

Edit2: Disregard all. World of Warcraft was running in the background, i had alt tabbed in the loading screen so i was at dekstop. Second i switched to WoW, it happened again.

Edit3: Remembered what you said about no overclocking, i didn't overclock but wanted to make sure so i reverted to the default in amd catalyst. It says -128 ° C now. it's still funtional. When i play a game it goes up to - 66 ° C. Tried restarting twice but it didn't work. Minus degrees are weird o.o  Also in my first revert to default it set overdrive into 300 mhz which is the lowest it can get. but the pointer where you drag to increase or decrease mhz was way below the ui, Second revert changed it to 925 again.

Edited by Galaxystarr, 25 September 2015 - 10:24 AM.

#4 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:28 AM

Hi GalaxyStarr ^_^,

Could you please run the diagnostics listed below? (Thanks usasma!)

http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Kindly upload the ZIP file according to this thread as well -
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

I would like to see the diagnostics first before I can say anything on this :(

Let me know how it goes ^_^

-Pranav

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#5 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:16 AM

I edited my second post, see my edit 3, it went up at the same time you posted this.

I cannot get a good read of my gpu temp. I refuse to accept heat sensor is broken because it was working fine until i clicked defaults button. 

Furmark and everything shows -46 now, on max load it goes up to +20 deg c

I need confirmation whether to go on regardless, or do something about it.

Edit: I think it's coming together, it was -128 idle, now it's -10 idle.

Edit2: it's around -40 again. disregard my other statement

Edit3: It's stable +33 deg C again. Furmark triggered the issue so i can't post any furmark results or any gpu stress test programs. Let me know what i should do next, do the steps you provided or something else? 

Edit number for the love of god it doesn't end:  Furmark works fine now <.< http://www.ozone3d.net/gpudb/score.php?which=176054 i did it after another stress test so the temp started a little high, it's normally 33 c idle. I literally have no idea what to do. One thing works for one second, then not.

Also the link you provided (http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html) is VERY cluttered. Being the casual guy i am, really having difficulty navigating in it. Bootable ones are not a problem, but the order which i run things or even what to run is very foggy

Edited by Galaxystarr, 25 September 2015 - 03:03 PM.

#6 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:35 AM

Memtest  http://imgur.com/7mIgNtt 

I couldn't burn seagate to a cd, but i can assure you my hd is fine. I can back up my statement if you want, let me know.

Furmark http://www.ozone3d.net/gpudb/score.php?which=176054

IPDT: 

---------------------------
--- Testing Processor 1 ---
---------------------------

--- IPDT64 - rev  2.20.0.0.W.MP ---

--- Start Time: 09/26/2015 15:07:59---

--- Skipping Config ---

--- Reading CPU Manufacturer --- 

Expected --> GenuineIntel
Detected --> GenuineIntel
Found --- Genuine Intel Processor ---

--- Temperature Test --- 

Temperature Test Passed!!!

Temperature = 61 degrees C below maximum.

--- Reading Brand String --- 

Detected Brand String:
Intel Core i7-3770   3.40GHz

Brand String Test Passed!!!

--- Reading CPU Frequency --- 

Expected CPU Frequency is --> 3.40

Detected CPU Frequency is --> 3.86439

CPU Frequency Test Passed!!!

Expected frequency - The highest frequency at which the tested processor was manufactured to operate
Detected frequency - The frequency at which the tested processor is currently operating
Power management modes can create marginally higher or lower detected frequency
than expected frequency. Small variations in clock frequencies are common.

--- FSB NOT Supported on this Processor --- 

--- Running Base Clock test --- 

Detected Base Clock --> 101
Base Clock test Pass ---
..QPI rate Test not supported..
..Skipping QPI rate Test..

Skipping QPI rate Test

--- Running Floating Point test --- 

Million Floating Points per Second, MFLOPS --> 446.4
Floating Point Test Pass ---

--- Running Prime Number Generation Test --- 

Operation Per Second--> 5.31663e+006
Prime Number Generation Test Pass ---

--- Reading Cache Size ---  

- Detected L1 Data Cache Size --> 4 x 32
- Detected L1 Inst Cache Size --> 4 x 32

- Detected L2 Cache Size --> 1024
- Detected L3 Cache Size --> 8192

Cache Size Test Passed!!!

--- Determining MMX - SSE capabilities --- 

--- CPU FEATURES DETECTION FOR ---
           ---        MMX SSE       ---
MMX - MMX Supported --> Yes
SSE - SSE Supported --> Yes
SSE2 - SSE2 Supported --> Yes
SSE3 - SSE3 Supported --> Yes
SSSE3 - SSSE3 Supported --> Yes
SSE4.1 - SSE4.1 Supported --> Yes
SSE4.2 - SSE4.2 Supported --> Yes
--- MMX SSE - capabilities check complete ---

MMX Test Result --- PASS
SSE Test Result --- PASS
SSE2 Test Result --- PASS
SSE3 Test Result --- PASS
SSSE3 Test Result --- PASS
SSE4.1 Test Result --- PASS
SSE4.2 Test Result --- PASS
MMX SSE Testing Passed !! 

--- Determining AVX AES PCLMULQDQ capabilities --- 

--- CPU FEATURES DETECTION FOR ---
          --- AVX/AES/PCLMULQDQ ---
AVX - Advanced Vector Extensions Supported --> Yes
AVX OS Support   - AVX Operating System Supported --> Yes
AES - Advanced Encryption Standard Supported --> Yes
PCLMULQDQ - Polys Carry-Less Multiply Supported --> Yes
--- AVX AES PCLMULQDQ capabilities check complete ---

AVX Compare Test Result --- PASS
AES Test Result --- PASS

Attached Files

#7 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:38 AM

Heat sensor is acting up again. I was playing a game to see whats going on, temp said 100c so i turned off the game. It got stuck in 80c even after cooling off. Now it says 80c on startup even its maximum 30 c. And starts up at %70 fan speed, (cpu gpu and case fans) because of the 80c startup.

#8 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:01 PM

I have requested for more help. Unfortunately, I am not able to figure what is going wrong :(

-Pranav

#9 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:20 PM

Hey pranav, thanks for the answer. Can you give a little bit context about the "help"? Or maybe an eta?

#10 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:24 PM

Hey pranav, thanks for the answer. Can you give a little bit context about the "help"? Or maybe an eta?

I have PMed a senior member over here . Hopefully he should reply in this thread within 2 days at most :)

#11 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:27 PM

Thanks very much!

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:51 PM

Hi!  First off, let me say that the GPU and it's sensor shouldn't be behaving like that.
I had a system several years ago that gave me severe (2º burns) when I reached in to touch the GPU.

The GPU didn't show as being hot - yet the burns said it was.

Turning a fan onto the GPU showed that this would delay the problems - the conclusion was that somehow the GPU sensor had broken or come loose.

Secondly, the behavior gets worse when you run Furmark.

Don't you think it rather strange that it will show negative temps, then normal, then 100ºC temps?

Although I don't think that this resembles a memory problem, 1 pass of MemTest isn't sufficient to rule out the RAM.  A minimum of 3 passes should be run (others will suggest 5 or 7 passes).

I am sorry that you do not like the organization of my hardware diagnostics page.  I hope to update it a bit shortly (with more info on UEFI tests), but I expect that it'll remain cluttered simply because of all the information that's necessary to keep one from melting their system by running a dangerous test.

Have you run the Prime95 test?  If so, what were the results?

Have you run the other video tests?  If so what were the results?

Also, in the OCBase test there is a PSU tester - that'll help with ruling out your PSU.

Daemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (mostly due to the sptd.sys driver, although I have seen both dtsoftbus01.sys and dtscsibus.sys blamed on several occasions).

Please un-install the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration):  New link (15 Aug 2012):  http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads (pick the appropriate version for your system and select "Un-install" when you run it).
Alternate link:  http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptd
Manual procedure here:  http://daemonpro-help.com/en/problems_and_solutions/registry_and_sptd_problems.html

Beyond that, try another video card.  If you can't find one to try, purchase one from a shop that will accept returns if it's not needed.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 05:50 PM

Hey usasma, thanks for the quick reply!

Don't worry about the site, i was really upset and didn't want to do anything. Site is actually fine, as you can see i managed to find my way and post some results.

I've deleted daemon tools, when i opened the sptd thingy, it said there is no such thing in my computer, i took that as a win and closed it w/o doing anything.

I knew memtest wasn't gonna work with one tries but i was impatient with it and a little google search said if there was a problem first memtest should be enough unless it's a problem that happens when ram heats up. I will run it at least 3 more times.

I can't do any stress test right now because of my sensors showing 80c idle. Fans are just going bananas if i load %100 for even a second. Edit: Tried occt before i wrote this sentence. I meant it literally.

I have posted every test i've done so, no, i haven't used any other program.

I will run prime95 if it's not like occt. while pc thinks it's 120c under load, i can't do a 6 hour stress test. I need confirmation from you whether it's gonna stress gpu or raise temp in any way.

Also it's not possible for me to get a gpu without determining it's the core problem. I hope you can understand why i don't want to make a $200ish plus purchase without knowing for sure, or at least having strong evidence. (I can honestly say heat sensor and everything is really close to convincing me, so i don't need much of an ironclad proof)

I know i have literally done nothing you said other than memtest which i will post here, i am sorry for tying your hands. I hope you can understand why i cannot run any stress tests with a faulty heat sensor showing extreme temp and that temp controlling all the fans and stuff.

If the heat sensor comes together i can stress test, but based on what you said about furmark messing things up, it might not help too.

In your professional opinion, if you believe it's my gpu, don't be afraid to say it.

I will listen to what you reply and hopefully we can rule some stuff out one way or another.

Looking forward to your answer! 

-Enes

Edited by Galaxystarr, 26 September 2015 - 05:54 PM.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:59 AM

You don't need temperature sensos (but they do keep you from having to keep your hand in the case 24/7)..  You just need some common sense and some observation skills.

Simply put, if you're running a stress test and the system starts to act funny - stop it.  If you can't stop it, press and hold the power button until the system shuts down.

Tnen try it again - if the system act funny again.  It doesn't have to be the same kind of funny - just acting funny is enough.  Hardware errors tend to appear as random events.

Most systems have failsafe's built in that will shut the system down if it gets too hot - but IMO it's better to shut it down yourself rather than waiting to see if the failsafe's are working.

All the problems point to the GPU at this point, and the randomness of the errors is very suggestive of a hardware problem.

"If it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck - it must be a duck!"

We can look at this report also, but I don't expect it to reveal anymore:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

Unfortunately, with hardware errors, the tests are just suggestive.  It takes actually removing the component to verify if it's that component or not.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:55 AM

Also got to mention this is probably not a heat issue

No offense but I laughed out loud a tiny bit when I read this, because as soon as I read it I was like "Oh, it's definitely a heat issue then". Anywho, I skimmed this thread and it seems to me that your heat sensor is off by like -100 or something. So when it reports -70 it's actually 30, and when it reports 60 it's actually 160. It's overheating yeah?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users