Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Says Windows 10 Will Be the Last OS Upgrade You値l Ever Need

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:40 PM

So what happens after 2025? Maybe the key word here is Upgrade.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:44 PM

Or (click here, relevant at about 6 minutes in, when 'Cadwalleder' enters, and then for the next five mins or so; free episode if you are Amazon Prime, am watching it now).  Notice he didn't read the lifecycle EULA prior to signing, either.

Edited by brainout, 24 September 2015 - 07:00 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:55 PM

Maybe the key word here is REPLACE ????

W 10 has never been a "long-term" project, so it seems like Bill will take his $Billions and shut the gates ... ! !

It was only ever designed to last 2 and a half years longer than W 8.1 (as in your listings) and a final build may have not yet been released..

Ever think we are still getting BETA releases, and the "builds" are due to response from the spyware included ???

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:05 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

I've wondered about that myself, as every Windows release has an expiration date set before it's release. An exception was made to this for XP consumers. 

So let's assume Windows 10 makes it to the 10 year mark. By then, code will have advanced, and Windows 10 will be what XP now is, a broken OS held together with spit & duct tape. Packages upon packages of updates, at some point, the house will begin to crumble. 

Yet we may not have it to worry about, as word has it that 'Windows Cloud' will debut in 2020, if so, that will be just in time for both Windows 7 & 8.1 users. 

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Rumor-Mill-Microsoft-Working-on-Windows-Cloud-Free-Windows-Version-Coming-in-2020-480597.shtml

http://www.winbeta.org/news/rumor-windows-may-be-moving-cloud

A 'forever OS' is just too good to be true, even if it were Microsoft's intentions for Windows 10. The only problem they'll be facing is that Google by then will be 10 years ahead in the consumer cloud OS business at that point, with lots of experience & getting better as time passes. We all know that every other Windows OS has been a flop, and surely their first attempt at a cloud one will be also. Yes they are hosting cloud services for corporations with their Azure client, yet that & consumer based OS's are two different targets with lots of gaps to fill. A corporate environment is far more tightly controlled than a consumer one is. 

Microsoft will need last every day to the last second of that lifecycle to even think about competing with one of the most richest corporations on the planet. Unlike Netscape of the 90's, Google can match Microsoft dollar for dollar in every area possible & come out on top easily. The best thing that Microsoft can & should do, is extend the lifecycles of Windows 7, 8.1 & 10 & pray that Google somehow goes bankrupt or their investments takes a wrong turn, but they can't bank on that. Where are Microsoft's 'smart cars' & other goodies hiding? Google has these & are on the inside of many technologies other than figuring out how to spy on it's users. True, they use our browsing habits to feed us ads, but isn't that what adblockers are for? 

Otherwise, herds of users will be flocking to Google (for the eXPerience factor) in 2020. Talking about a bullet coming back to bit Microsoft in the rear, 19 years later, this will be a big one. If the above leaks holds any truth, Microsoft had better change plans & fast. They had plenty of warning that the Modern UI (Metro) wasn't going to work in 2012, because Ubuntu users by a clear majority rejected the same style of OS 28 months in advance. Yet Steven Sinofsky went for it anyway & paid the price. Other's careers followed down the same path as the fallout continued, until finally, Bill Gates right hand man for years finally took the fall. 

Yet all of that could have been prevented by the axing of the one who wanted 8 the most anyway & that was Sinofsky. Windows 7 & Office 2010 was a combined 1-2 cash cow for Microsoft for years & there's no denying it. In fact, there's still demand for the new Windows 7 Pro computers on the market, as well as the OS. Maybe not so much for Office 2010, yet had Microsoft just spent 50% of the wasted cash on the Windows 8 project on 7, there'd be a SP2 & other improvements. Windows 10 could have been created fairly much without Windows 8. 

Rather, one man wanted his child, got it & took a dive 2 months later, derailing the corporation, as well as the careers & lives of many with his creation. 

I didn't & never have believed that Windows 10 was going to be their last OS standing & never will. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:10 AM

But isn't Win10 as 'last', just another way of saying a rolling distro?  Isn't it really the reverse of last, continually 'reinvented' (keyword of Ballmer Nadella loves, see here)?

And no matter what that OS turns out to be, it's far worse, never know when its interface might again change in horrid ways, and you can't opt out.

I really hope the Linux programmers are getting the impact of this.  For desertion from Windows will rise exponentially.  We are starting to realize we've ransomed our lives to a three-walnut-shellgame.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:29 PM

Post #4 "what XP now is, a broken OS held together with spit and duct tape"

XP is not THAT bad, sure it has colossal problem thesedays that a machine running xp can't be very secure if it ever goes online because of all the unpatched vulnerabilities which it has accumulated since support ended but as an OS it was good up until the day it became unsupported. I still think that in the concepts of what it did it is the pinnacle of operatng system design, even if not perfectly executed. It would be nice it if it had the built-in systems image making features, like windows 7/8/8.1 have, perhaps being able to pin programs to the task bar within it would have also been nice, but otherwise I can't think of much that needs improvement in terms of features.

Edited by rp88, 25 September 2015 - 12:30 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:00 PM

I agree, Cat. The "last windows you'll ever need"  means, to me, that we won't need an OS on our computers, in a few years, as everything will be in the cloud. Windows as a service, and all that.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:01 AM

Post #4 "what XP now is, a broken OS held together with spit and duct tape"

XP is not THAT bad, sure it has colossal problem thesedays that a machine running xp can't be very secure if it ever goes online because of all the unpatched vulnerabilities which it has accumulated since support ended but as an OS it was good up until the day it became unsupported. I still think that in the concepts of what it did it is the pinnacle of operatng system design, even if not perfectly executed. It would be nice it if it had the built-in systems image making features, like windows 7/8/8.1 have, perhaps being able to pin programs to the task bar within it would have also been nice, but otherwise I can't think of much that needs improvement in terms of features.

I agree, if clean installed & updated to SP3, XP can be a good OS to use for offline tasks. Microsoft messed it up with piling updates on top of another, exactly what they're doing with Windows 7 users of today. And the reason why XP's not secure online is what you're saying, there's been many missed updates/patches, one a critical IE7/8 patch. The reason why IE7 is included is because of Vista, For many XP users, it's was IE8 that crippled their computers, too heavy to run on computers with 2GB or less RAM. 

Fast forward to today, or 10 years from now, Windows 10 will face the same issues. Though I still believe some of it is too many patches for botched updates. For example, an update is issued to fix a flaw in Microsoft Edge. That update causes other symptoms, so then a patch is offered to address that. Later on, that patch causes issues, and yet a 3rd patch is applied. More will likely later follow. There are many updates/patches that's released to fix what MS has messed up, in addition to more bad updates released that will require 'hotfixes'. 

See, it's not just the OS, it's that Microsoft doesn't test updates enough in the real world, these are messing up installs for many (why we need continual beta testers). By real world beta testing & not just in a controlled lab, less numbers of flaky updates will be released & these has a much better chance at working right the first time. 

Microsoft deliberately messed up XP before end of support, that why if used offline, I recommend to install SP3 & let the rest go. The rest of the updates will only worsen the OS. Windows 7 isn't quite there yet, but surely heading in the same direction & eventually 8.1 & 10 will also. A 'forever OS' is just a bad concept. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:14 AM

I agree, Cat. The "last windows you'll ever need"  means, to me, that we won't need an OS on our computers, in a few years, as everything will be in the cloud. Windows as a service, and all that.

That's right, Google has this down to a science, has been doing this with their Chromebooks for years. Microsoft will follow suit at some point. 

That's the beauty of Linux, no rumors swirling about taking popular OS's to the cloud. Yet Google Chrome's OS is a modified version of Linux, so there's already a decent sized group already there & has been for maybe 5 years or so. 

And that's where Google has an edge over Microsoft, no way in this world would I preview test their first cloud OS. 

Cat

#10 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:19 AM

Yeah, Nadella announced as much when he took office, his maiden speech about cloud first, mobile first.  I kept on telling people back then in the PC World forum (no longer extant, so I can't prove to you what I said) -- that MSFT was planning on putting the OS in the cloud.

But what I never would have guessed, is that ALL CLOUD SERVICES.. already, with Win10 but also with other stuff like Office 365 -- ALL of them are ALREADY subject to aka.ms/msa , which is what I've been harping on here as 'hitlerian' in BC for the past month.  Win10 is subject to it in the Win10 license paras 1b(i) and 14.  But Office 365 on any OS is subject to it as well, so too Bing, your Microsoft Account, EVERYTHING ONLINE.

So whatever MSFT services you use, they reserve the right to hoover (paragraph 2 of aka.ms/msa ), and reserve the right to police how you use your data via those services (paragraph 3, ibid).  So no one who curates third-party confidential data can risk using Windows 10 OR.. anything by MSFT, online.

Go read aka.ms/msa yourself; it's not long. Then carefully notice by contrast, the very long list of covered 'services' (software) at the end of aka.ms/msa .  So not just Windows 10, but anything MSFT is putting out now.  Read the aka.ms/msa paragraphs 2, 3, and 7, as these are the scariest legal paragraphs I've ever read.  Totally bypasses due process of law.  It's hard to believe until you see the text with your own eyes.  I've had people fight me and call me names over the past 45 days.. until they read the text themselves.  For after all, until you see it yourself, the anti-MSFT talk sounds like a sales pitch.  Even Woody Leonhard is shocked, see his latest article, where he calls himself naive (click here).  Yet he still hasn't read aka.ms/msa , or he'd boycott MSFT, I'm sure.

Boycott looks like the only defensible recourse.  Strong words.. again, until you read aka.ms/msa Paragraphs 2, 3, 7 for yourself.  Slowly.  Repeatedly.  Thinking out the ramifications.  It's not rocket science.

Had it not been for darkbit alerting us all in BC to this problem, some months prior (his collected BC posts linked here), I'd not know.  For like everyone else, initially I didn't fully do my homework, either.

Edited by brainout, 26 September 2015 - 03:27 AM.

#11 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:27 PM

Well, one thing is for sure, Windows 10 is definitely the last OS I would ever use :P

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:11 AM

Well, one thing is for sure, Windows 10 is definitely the last OS I would ever use :P

Makes 8.1 look like a good OS after all, doesn't it? :)

The OS (8.1 Pro) runs very well on the two computers that I have it on, in fact a turbocharged Windows 7. Better power management & more snappy feeling overall. Mine boots straight to Desktop, there's a setting on the Taskbar that allows for this. I suspect that sites like Newegg will be running this one on promo more frequently until supplies runs low, and it's still supported for over 7 years (early 2023). 

Plus with Update 1, it's a matured OS. I'd expect that businesses would jump on this OS over 10, and one has the choice between running as a Microsoft Account or Local. At this time, given it's lifespan left, I'd say it's a better deal & ROI than Windows 7. Fortunately, the last two pre-SP1 OEM versions of Windows 7 will have a home this week, by a couple of very unhappy Windows 10 upgraders whom didn't create their Recovery media sets. I'm happy to get my money back after close to 6 years of sitting, another left mid late last week. 

And 8.1 doesn't use all of the resources that Windows 10 does, especially the near continual Internet activity, which has a trickle down effect on other components. This wasn't what Microsoft promised, yet it's what Windows 10 users has been delivered. What did anyone expect for free? If I were to purchase a new computer today, would ensure that Secure Boot isn't locked (though my next will be either a self-build or if a notebook, a Chromebook), image the drive & create Recovery disk set. Then remove the HDD & place it aside in case warranty repair were needed & install a SSD with 8.1 Pro. 

Note that I don't 'need' Windows for myself, rather I use the OS to assist a few relatives & few select close friends, and whatever assistance I can provide on this site. For sensitive information & transactions, I rely on the latest bootable Linux Mint install media (on DVD). The session resides in RAM only & is gone after shutting down or rebooting. In fact, once fully loaded to Desktop, the DVD can be removed. 

Maybe the Topic headline holds some truth after all, going to the Cloud would be an entirely different experience & nowhere near the drive space would be needed. Though I'd still keep my Data on external HDD's, if I were to use the OS, which is unlikely & I'm positive (just as now) that the consumer is responsible for their own Data. Microsoft is held harmless for any that's 'lost'. 

Cat

#13 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:02 AM

Good enough to be your primary (or only) computer to do private work on? I wouldn't touch windows 8 with a 10 foot pole personally. And now they are assaulting windows 7, and it's just kind of annoying to keep good. For me the last time windows was good was before XP support ended. My next primary machine will be linux, and windows will just be used for toy (gaming) computers.

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:08 AM

Good enough to be your primary (or only) computer to do private work on? I wouldn't touch windows 8 with a 10 foot pole personally. And now they are assaulting windows 7, and it's just kind of annoying to keep good. For me the last time windows was good was before XP support ended. My next primary machine will be linux, and windows will just be used for toy (gaming) computers.

Actually, Linux Mint is my primary OS, I just use Windows to assist others, am not a gamer, that's one huge reason why many sticks with Windows. 

Though that's slowly yet surely changing, there's Steam for Linux & new games are being added on a regular basis. If these developers felt there was no Linux market, then there would be no Steam client for Linux. 

And for most Windows software choices, there's a dozen or more 100% Free choices, the 64 bit Linux Mint/Ubuntu has over 70,000 software choices, 32 bit users has over 40,000. There is something for most everyone, and one can begin with Linux on a virtual machine or dual boot with Windows (for best experience). Though I recommend the VM route, or Flash drive install, a 16GB sized one is often enough, some may want or need 32GB of space. 

Unlike Windows, Linux OS's by nature doesn't require a lot of space. That is, unless one runs VM's games & such. 

Cat

#15 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:09 AM

Sadly I think a lot of people are using Windows more and more not because of games, but just because A. it's cheaper than a mac and 2. they don't know any better and for some reason they fall for the MS and Google ecosystems even though I don't see what's so great about them (+lazyness),

Because, pretty much everyone I know is not a hardcore gamer who would need windows due to games. They could do just fine with Mint, Libre Office and Firefox, yet for some reason they pay for Office 365??

This younger generation that is supposed to be so "tech savvy" don't even know how to use hotkeys like Alt-Tab to get around rofl. They are used to the simplistic smart phone interface that obscures the file system, and they actually want a computer that does that too. Windows 10 is actually designed for the kind of experience they seem to want. It's idiocracy meets computing...

As far as Steam and linux games, that's primarily driven by Gaben and wanting to position themselves as a direct competitor to Windows 10. If you look at Steam OS and Windows 10, they look kinda the same and serve the same purpose (for gamers) (desk to couch, etc). Even though I'm not totally on board with Steam, thank goodness for the competition and what it could do to stop the reliance on windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users