Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Clean install, Now which updates to avoid?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FluffyPup

FluffyPup

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:06 PM

I have done a clean install of Windows 7.  I have installed all the drivers needed and the computer is running great.

My goal is to keep the computer running great and get some work done.  I do not wish to return to spending massive number of hours fighting a computer and trying to regain my bandwidth and data for my use.

Is there a list of which updates to not install?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:32 PM

Typically after a reformat if thats what your calling a clean install you would want to get Windows updated, Install AV, antimalware etc.  Sounds like you had malware on the machine. Normally software can update itself. Not sure what you mean by updates to not install?

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:36 PM

I would not install the ones listed in the following link if you do not intend to install Windows 10. Do not select automatic downloads of updates. If you do, then there is a chance Windows 10 files will be downloaded to your computer even if you opt out. In the update settings choose Check for Updates but let me decide when to download them. Also uncheck Give me Recommended updates the same way I receive important updates. Be careful as some of the updates in list may appear again after you hide them by Right clicking the update and selecting Hide Update. Only install Security Updates and if you see an update listed as important click on the link at the right and see what the update does to your computer. If the update does not apply to you, then don't install it. 

http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/windows_updates_to_hide_to_avoid_telemetry_or_windows_10_upgrade.html

#4 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:50 PM

Oh ok "those" updates.More material here:

http://techne.alaya.net/?p=12499

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#5 FluffyPup

FluffyPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:21 PM

Yes, "those" updates. 

Thank you JohnC and shelf life.

Exactly what I was looking for. 

All of the info I have run across addresses Win 10, 8 and 7.  I also have a Vista Business computer.  Is there a issue with "those" updates there also?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:28 PM

You cannot upgrade to 10 from Vista so I don't think those updates in the lists will apply. Microsoft has pretty much given up on Vista. End of extended support for vista is April 2017. After that date, no more security updates will be given.

Edit: Something interesting. Windows 10 which is supposed to be the last OS from Microsoft shows extended support ending in 2025.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 September 2015 - 05:31 PM.

#7 FluffyPup

FluffyPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:43 PM

Glad they are leaving one of my computers alone!  At least that keeps me functioning rather than running in an endless restart mode.

The last is not the last.  It is just the last before the next. 

There is a great standup comedy routine in there some where.

Wonder if he would have to pay royalties?  lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users