Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet does not have a valid IP Configuration

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:11 PM

This is my first time posting. I am on Windows 10 64 bit professional. I was trying to add RAM to my pc a couple of days ago when I suddenly lost my connection to the internet. My computer is connected to the router via Ethernet and has worked fine for years. My laptop still connects to the internet via the router. The troubleshooter says I do not have a valid IP address. I have uninstalled the network adapter driver and then searched for hardware changes, which reinstalled it, and that did not work. I've tried the cmd run ipconfig /all and that just flashed something on screen that disappeared instantly. Not sure what else you might need to know about my situation, but please ask anything you need to in order to help me find a solution. Oh, and when this first happened I called my ISP to see if they could help me, and all the young guy could think of is that my NIC card might need a driver update and he told me to call Microsoft. Any thoughts or suggestions are all appreciated! Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:52 PM

itsreallyCheryl,  :welcome: to Bleeping Computer Forums! :)

What you may want to do is first, download the most recent Ethernet driver that did work from your OEM, Realtek, or where ever you obtained it from. It could be that the OEM has updated Windows 10 drivers for your make/model of computer. If so, get the Ethernet driver from there for best compatibility. 

Then using the Device Manager, uninstall that device, being sure to check the box that says 'Delete the software for this device' & reboot. Now, install the package that you downloaded, if needed, can install in 8.1 compatibility mode (this option is under Properties). 

To help us serve you better, would you please post a Speccy snapshot of your computer's specs? We won't see the same personal information that you do, such as your Windows COA or IP address, these are filled with random data to protect your privacy. Here's the instructions, which will help if you provide the information.  

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click thebuilds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

See how easy that is? 

Look forward to hearing back from you soon! :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 24 September 2015 - 08:52 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:18 PM

I do hope I have done this right. Please let me know if this link is what you wanted. Thank you for your help.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/AYt2yfbS7rVrybDrecoVd1b

#4 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:54 PM

I am a friend on facebook and have been attempting to help some as well...  trying to help look into the driver.
what we know is...
Intel 82567LF-2 Gigabit Network Connecion
driver version 10.1.10.1
driver date 6/25/2012

Need help figuring out which download is correct.  There is no specific driver for windows 10, but there are indeed newer drivers for the adapter.
>>here's a download page for that device<<

There are a lot to choose from...  I can see one for windows 7... but, nothing that mentions windows 10

anyway, please advise on finding the right driver to try.
Thanks.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:42 AM

I do hope I have done this right. Please let me know if this link is what you wanted. Thank you for your help.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/AYt2yfbS7rVrybDrecoVd1b

Yes, that's right, you know what, I have nearly an identical PC, down to the Ethernet connection, mine may be a model different. Seems to be a former business/corporate type PC. 

You're showing having an IP address (not really yours, to protect your privacy), yet do have one, maybe that's to your router. 

Intel® 82567LF-2 Gigabit Network Connection

That is most certainly a business type of Ethernet connection (better than what's on many consumer oriented computers of today) & a fast one too, when it works. Mine does. Capable of dual Gigabit. This is what you have to do. Download the latest driver possible for the computer. I believe I've found it, though you may have to run it in Compatibility Mode for Windows 7. You'll need the 2nd choice, the one for Windows 7 64 bit. 

If the drivers does not work, do not delete it, there may be other workarounds we can use. Yet lets first try things the easy way. You can try & install it 'as-is', if not, then right click onto the file, select Properties & you'll see a Compatibility tab, that's where you want to change it to Windows 7. 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25003/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-7-

Let us know how it goes & Good Luck! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:12 AM

Thank you Cat. I will give this a try. One question though: Since I don't have internet on my PC I'm going to have to download this onto my laptop (which I'm using now). Will I have the option of saving it to my flash drive in order to move it to my PC? Just a bit afraid I'm going to mess up my connection on my laptop. Then I'd really be in trouble. My PC was built for me by a friend to my specifications. Thanks again~ Cheryl

#7 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:42 AM

I just tried installing the driver you suggested and got this message: Intel® Network Connections Installer Information - Cannot install drivers. No Intel® Adapters are present in this computer.  That does not sound good.... :( Upon searching for an answer I came across this page to download a tool, but I will not do so unless you recommend it as being safe.

http://www.tweakbit.com/land/fix-my-pc/support?build=7fFMPd&kw=Windows10&content=win10&utm_source=sevenforums.com&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=Sevenforums.1

Edited by itsreallycheryl, 26 September 2015 - 10:57 AM.

#8 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:59 AM

Don't download anything from that site.  It looks unsafe.

I just want to clarify for anyone trying to help...  This problem started when memory was put in, that likely wasn't compatible.  Didn't work and has been removed...  several days ago.
Before that, I want to clarify, windows 10 has been in for how long?

I'm not familiar with windows 10 yet but, I'm wondering if we get stuck, if we could attempt a system restore, if one can be found.

#9 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:14 PM

I have had Windows 10 for a month now, with no problems at all until I tried installing RAM that was not compatible. Is it possible that I might have touched something in my computer while removing the RAM that would cause this? I have no idea what to look for or where. Just a thought.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:07 PM

See if this driver for Windows 10 works. You need to see your Network adapter listed in Device Manager or it will not install.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

PROWinx64.exe

For some reason your computer is not picking up a DHCP address and then giving you a local address.

#11 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:16 PM

Thank you JohnC_21, but this appears to be the exact same driver that Cat had me download but yours is on a page that says Windows 10. Unfortunately it didn't work either. They both said Cannot install drivers. No Intel® Adapters are present in this computer. And when I went to Device Manger, and went to Network adapters, and I right clicked on Intel® 82567LF-2 Gigabit Network connection, it says This device is working properly. :(  But thank you anyway for trying.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:24 PM

See if resetting Winsock and TCP/IP help.

Type CMD in search. Right Click > Run As Administrator and type the following commands and press enter after each. Reboot.

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

#13 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:34 PM

JohnC_21, so do I hit enter after the entire line " netsh winsock reset ? Then enter? And then again after the entire second line? Sorry, but I am not familiar with this.

Cheryl

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:39 PM

Yes, press enter after the entire line.

netsh winsock reset    <enter>

If doing the above commands do not solve the problem download Netadapter all in one repair to a USB flash drive and copy it to the desktop. Press Advanced Repair and then reboot.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/netadapter-repair-all-in-one/

#15 itsreallycheryl

itsreallycheryl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:05 PM

Hello JohnC_21. Neither of these worked for me. I really thought the NetAdapterRepair tool was the answer. It sure looked like it was doing something good. This doesn't even make sense to me, to be working perfectly fine and then for no apparent reason to just stop working. The only thing that was happening at that time was that I had bought the wrong RAM once, took it out and everything worked great. Bought another wrong RAM and after taking that one out, turned on the PC again and this time there was no internet connection. Doesn't sound like it would have anything to do with each other, but it's the only thing that was happening at that time. Thanks again for the help. ~ Cheryl

There is a text file log for NetAdapterRepair. Should I post it here?

Edited by itsreallycheryl, 26 September 2015 - 06:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users