Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Timeshift Clone

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:38 AM

I want to know if I can use my Clone of Mint KDE from an Intel Laptop to put on another Laptop with AMD Hardware?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:45 PM

Wanted to point out that I know, or think - that I will have to Install First - then drop the Clone onto "/ root".

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:19 AM

I'm not a TimeShift user so I can't say. When-ever I've done anything like this it meant re-setting up networking on the transfered install. I've had success with resetting up some lan connections, but never with Wifi (not that I know anything about setting up networking interfaces).

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:30 PM

Thanks hollowface, I have realized that it is not a good proposition - and will just use that Clone in case of failure on the same machine.  I should set up a script like Nick does for new installs to other machines.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,538 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:43 PM

I should set up a script like Nick does for new installs to other machines.

Now you see why I prefer that script?, Just remember to add any new software you install to the script.

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:16 PM

@pcpunkpshot

Hi punk - if you choose to take the Timeshift option, it only involves a few steps, and there is no need to drop into root, all you need is an 8GB stick.

1. Identify the snapshot you wish to port to the new puter. This will be under a folder called timeshift in File System. There is a subfolder snapshots, but there will also be others called eg snapshots-weekly, snapshots on-demand, &c.
  2. The snapshot for most buntu-based Distros will typically be 4.3GB to 5.3GB hence if you are only porting one, the 8GB stick
  3. To establish the size of the snapshot you can go to Terminal, and to the folder where the snapshots are held. In my case, having them on an external HDD, I have a partition called SaveCarcass, contains my first bricked Ubuntu. I typed, (on my wife's laptop)
  4. cd /media/elaine/SaveCarcass/timeshift/snapshots

5. ...but that last folder might be eg snapshots-monthly, whatever your circumstances
  6. ls

... from there shows me the snapshots, in my case I wanted 2015-09-21_15-10-47 so I cd'ed to that

7. man du

will list the options for the du command, which will allow you to get the size of the folder, subfolder/s and files. I like

8. du -ah

because it whirls away like DOS dir /s does, in the end it gave me 5.3G as the size.

9. Now on your blank stick, create a folder called timeshift, then within that a folder called snapshots, or snapshots-weekly &c as appropriate.

10. Copy (dony't move) our folder, called in my case 2015-09-21_15-10-47 to there, and you're sweet.

11. On the destination puter, install Tony George's Timeshift:

12. sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install timeshift

13. Fire up Timeshift (usually found by then in Menu-Administration), and choose under Backup Device, your USB stick
  14. If all goes well, you will find your snapshot, click to highlight/select it.
  15. Click Restore and follow the steps

Of course there are likely shortcuts and other ways, but I find this pretty idiot-proof, or in my case Chris-proof - YOU might, too, lol.

Anything goes wrong, I was never here at the time and I don't know you :hysterical:

:wizardball: Wiz

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:07 PM

That sounds good Wiz!  What you are explaining is what I meant by Dropping Onto /root, does that not make sense? really, I'm asking.

I'm a little confused on what the Clone would be good for then? if one can just use the Snapshot?  I even tried to boot from the Clone as I thought someone said that this was possible, but it did not work - even on the machine it was made on.  It would not boot.

And, I'm not confident that this will work - going from my Intel machine - to my AMD machine.  What do you think of this?  Sounds like you have done this with success so your way ahead of me.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:50 AM

@pcpunk

my comments different coloured font and italicised for easy reading

That sounds good Wiz!  What you are explaining is what I meant by Dropping Onto /root, does that not make sense? really, I'm asking.

No, my bad. I should have clarified that there is actually very little difference between the snapshot facility and the cloning facility. That does not mean that the clone is a waste of space & effort. Reference Tony George's site here -  http://www.teejeetech.in/2014/09/timeshift-v16.html where Tony says, in part:

...This is similar to restoring a snapshot to another device. Only difference is that system files are copied directly to the target device without creating a snapshot. The /etc/fstab entries on the restored system will be updated to point to the target device.

I'm a little confused on what the Clone would be good for then? if one can just use the Snapshot?  I even tried to boot from the Clone as I thought someone said that this was possible, but it did not work - even on the machine it was made on.  It would not boot.

Tony also says, on that page:

... Boot from the hard disk on a laptop or another desktop to use your cloned system.

That could be read two ways, but I have not tried it.

And, I'm not confident that this will work - going from my Intel machine - to my AMD machine.  What do you think of this?  Sounds like you have done this with success so your way ahead of me.

I am not so far ahead of you as you think. I started a Topic on Clonezilla, early March, since moved to Software - Tips and Tricks -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/569522/cloningghostingsystem-imaging-taking-clonezilla-for-a-walk/

... and it was my intention at the time to then compare with Timeshift's cloning capability, and perhaps a couple of other solutions. I have not had the time nor opportunity to do so, to date. So I have only used the Snapshots side of the product.

Regret I can't be of more assistance at this point, but perhaps soon.

:wizardball: Wiz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users