Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flummoxed and at my wits end

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Solowka

Solowka

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:24 AM

Hi, ive built numerous pc`s over the years and im flummoxed as ive never had a problem like this and ive exhausted my knowledge (albeit limited). decided to build a media pc as im keeping my main rig purely for gaming.

the specs

Asus M5A97 evo R2.0 (mobo)

AMD FX 8230 (CPU)

2x4gb Corsair DDR3 (RAM)

Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB (GFX card)

Kingston 240gb SSD

WD 3TB HDD

G7 power extreme 780w (PSU)

Problem.....the MemOK led flashed while the cpu led was constantly red....Monitor displayed "no signal". Reseated ram and cpu...MemOK led gone off...cpu led still on. Tried another psu (650w) same same result. Removed mobo from case and switched on, cpu led flashed twice then pc turned off. Swapped cpu to an amd fx 8320...same result. Swapped mobo...everything powers up, cooler fans work, gfx card works, exhaust fan works, disc drive powers up....no signal on monitor. Swapped gfx card...same result. Also tried different HDMI cables and monitor.....help please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:37 PM

Hi Solowka & Welcome to the forums ^_^,

Did you do anything with the system like flashing a BIOS update?

Also, is this the first time you are trying to turn on the system? As per your diagnostics, the only part which has been left unchanged in this whole process seems to be the processor.

See if following the below Hardware Stripdown guide by usasma (Thanks!) helps -
http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Let me know how it goes ^_^

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#3 Solowka

Solowka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:16 PM

hi, thanks for the welcome, ive not flashed the bios, and this has been happening since the 1st boot, its never posted. Sorry I must have left that off, i did originally have an old 8150 and a mate had an 8230 hes never used so i "borrowed" it haha

#4 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

hi, thanks for the welcome, ive not flashed the bios, and this has been happening since the 1st boot, its never posted. Sorry I must have left that off, i did originally have an old 8150 and a mate had an 8230 hes never used so i "borrowed" it haha

Did the system work fine with the 8150? Ask your friend if this CPU is dead or not.

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#5 Solowka

Solowka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:09 PM

the system had the same problem with the 8150, its a new build, asked my mate and he said it was new, never been used

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users