Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC suddenly sluggish, plus BSOD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 John Mitchell

John Mitchell

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:07 AM

Attached File  perfmon report.zip   143.22KB   1 downloadsAttached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   271.22KB   2 downloads

Hi,

I am running Windows 7 on a desktop.  A couple of weeks ago I was having issues with it, which turned out to be hardware, I took it to be looked at and found there was a malfunctioning PSU, which I then replaced.

Since then I noticed I was having trouble connecting to the internet.  I was using a LAN cable to start with, but have just moved house and am now wireless.  I am still able to connect, but it is somewhat sporadic and often slow.  (I also have a laptop, which connects without any problems, and the internet connection seems reasonably fast).  Yesterday whilst trying to open a browser I got a BSOD, I wasn't able to read the error message in time as it then restarted.  I decided to just go with a fresh install of Windows 7 as there had been an error with upgrading to 10 anyway.  But I hadn't thought about dump files and so I don't know if that will have erased them.

So, I am running Windows 7 home premium, it is a fresh install from disc, OEM version (for Dell).

The hardware is about 5 years old and was a custom build.  Newer hardware: 1TB hard drive which is 1 year old.  256GB SSD (with the Windows OS installation on) which is 1 year old.  PSU, which is 3 weeks old.

16GB installed RAM

CPU: AMD FX™ 8350 8 core processor

PSU: Corsair CX 430

Motherboard: ASUSTeK M5A78L-M/USB3

Graphics card: VTX X edition Radeon HD 7850

I have no real idea how to find the fault now, or even where it is likely to be, so thanks in advance for any help,

John

Edited by John Mitchell, 24 September 2015 - 10:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:54 PM

Unfortunately, installing the Dell W7 on a custom built system violates the EULA with Dell (and with Microsoft).

We'll be glad to help further with this problem if you obtain a genuine copy of Windows:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/genuine

Meanwhile, as you may not have understood this when you built the system, I'll start an analysis for you.

I won't be able to finish it unless you get a legitimate copy of Windows - but something is better than nothing in this case.

No memory dumps in the attached upload.  As you suspected, a fresh install of the OS probably wiped them out.

In the future, memory dumps may be found in C:\Windows\Minidump

Only 4 Windows Updates installed.  Most systems have 300 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).

Your 802.11n Wireless LAN Card has drivers that date from 2009.  I'd strongly suggest updating them.

These devices have problems in Device Manager:

Not Available    ACPI\ATK0110\1010110    The drivers for this device are not installed.
Ethernet Controller    PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_85051043&REV_09\4&1708FA51&0&0050    The drivers for this device are not installed.
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller    PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_1042&SUBSYS_84881043&REV_00\4&AB0F605&0&0038    The drivers for this device are not installed.

The first one is the Asus ATK0110 ACPI Utility driver.  It must be installed.  DO NOT USE a version earlier than 2009 - as they are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (2009 version is OK)

The second one is your wired ethernet driver

The third one is most likey your USB 3.) controller driver

All of these should be available on the support site for your Asus mobo.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 John Mitchell

John Mitchell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:23 AM

Hey Usasma,

thanks for the response.

I bought the PC second hand just over a year ago and was given the reinstallation disc with it, I never questioned whether it was a genuine copy and didn't look at the disc until just now when I went to reinstall.  Even then I thought it was legitimate.  So thanks for letting me know, and of course I understand that you can't help further given the circumstances.

Thank you also for the advice.  Unfortunately I now don't seem to be able to get online at all to update the drivers even (it says I am connected to the network and have internet access but it lies).

I'll sort out a new copy of Windows when my paycheque comes through.  Until then I'll just get by with my laptop.  Thanks again,

John

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:43 AM

Thanks for being so understanding.  The network issue might be fixed by downloading the drivers on another computer - and using an external device (CD/DVD/Flash drive/USB drive) and walk them over to the problem system so you can install them..

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users