Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop keyboard - 8 letters suddenly stopped working :-(

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:04 AM

ok - so I am typing this out using the on screen keyboard app in Windows 10. I am hoping that someone might be able to shed some light onto why i have suddenly lost the use of several keys on my laptop's keyboard.

The KEYS in question are a,d,x,b,n, full-stop,comma and question-mark.

The Computer is  a Samsung notebook np3530ec which is about 2 and a half years old. changed to windows 10 about a month ago.

I have used this device pretty much daily ever since, often typing 500plus word letters and magazine articles. However, seeing that all the keys concerned failed at once leads me to feel that general wear/tear is not the issue here?

However, I did clean the keyboard on the day the keys failed, but this was approximately 2 hours before the actual failure occurred - using a light mist of pc anti -bac spray and a silk cloth, taking care as i usually do to avoid any liquid penetration under the keys themselves.

I have since performed full/deep scans with  both avast and zemana which came back clean.

Fortunately, my pc password does not contain any of the failed keys, so for now at least, I can use the app's on-screen keyboard to reply to any members here who might wish to reply.

If necessary, i would be perfectly happy to perform  a complete  disk-reformat and start again back to factory settings if that's what it takes to resolve this issue as i have everything backed up. However, i obviously only want to do this as a last resort if all else fails.

I have also tried resetting/recovery back to a date prior to the failure of the keys, but for some reason, the process failed on the 2 occasions i tried .

I would be very grateful to anyone who can help me here as i cannot afford the cost of a new pc or any hefty repair bills, but would be quite happy to make a small (but not insignificant) paypal donation to a member who can come up with a fix that means me saving on expensive repairs etc.

Thanks for reading and i will be happy to answer any further questions put to me about this issue if required, although my responses are likely to be slow due to having to use the mouse - click onscreen keyboard app.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:10 AM

The possibilities are that either the keyboard has failed physically......or a driver is doing really strange things....if you connect another keyboard via a usb port, does it work ok, or is the same drama present there as well ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:20 AM

Thanks for replying, Condobloke....

at present, i dont have another keyboard  to be able to try your suggestion, although it is feasible i might be able to acquire one in the next couple of days.

One thing i forgot to mention was that i lost power suddenly to my laptop an hour or so before the fault occurred due to a power-outage. I operate this laptop without a battery in order to keep it running as cool as possible, which in hindsight might not be such a good practise, i guess!

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:29 AM

ok...you can reset the pc in windows 10.....by going to the start button>>>settings>>>update and security>>>>>recovery>>>>>Reset this PC........This lets you choose to Keep your files or remove them.....and then re installs Windows 10

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:39 AM

OK Thanks CB....

i'll get back here when the process is complete .

i understand its night time in Aus, so i understand if you dont reply here for several hours or so.

#6 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:12 AM

followed your instructions, CB, But sadly the procedure didn't work in this instance.

I'm guessing that the problem might well be a little more serious than I had previously hoped, maybe to do with the cleaning of the keyboard or some irreversible damage to the drive caused by the power-outage.

I will try to obtain a usb keyboard in the next day or so to see if I can further isolate the problem.

thanks for showing interest in my problem.

hope to converse with you again soon

Edited by robby501, 24 September 2015 - 07:42 AM.

#7 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:55 AM

Update...thanks for your help, CB...It seems that I might have caused irreversible damage to my laptop keyboard due to over-exuberant cleaning - I got hold of an auxiliary keyboard and everything is working fine with it. I would obviously like to fix the keyboard on my laptop, but opening it up, inspecting and cleaning, I feel, is a little beyond the scope of my capabilities - so lesson learned I guess.

never mind - stuff happens!  :mellow:

Edited by robby501, 24 September 2015 - 04:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users