Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions on good inkjet printer that I can get cheap ink for?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 krs000a

krs000a

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:30 AM

Hello,

So here's the story... My HP Color LaserJet CM1312 MFP printer has been the worst printer I ever owned. The other day it finally broke down for good and I need a new printer. It sucks because I had bought several extra spare toners I had purchased so I wouldn't be completely out, and now I have no use for them (won't be buying another CM1312 MFP, that's for sure).

I don't live in the U.S. and toners / ink is super expensive in my country, and ordering laser toners from abroad is obviously a bad idea because of their weight, so now I have reconsidered buying another laser printer and I'm instead thinking about getting a good inkjet printer.

The reason I'm writing here is because I need advice on which one to get. It does not need to have any fancy features, LCD screens and I already have a scanner so no printer/scanner combo neccessary. It also don't have to print masterpiece images, but I do print alot of pictures, so it needs to at least do a decent job and not look awful like CM1312 MFP did.

Most important thing is that I want there to be good priced ink cartridges available for whatever printer I end up getting. Since they don't weigh much, I could order them from wherever they're cheapest (companies that only ship within the U.S. are OK too, as I have delivery addresses of friends there who will let me use theirs and they can forward it to me).

Perhaps there is some kind of printer that has good 3rd party cartridges (that don't suck) available at good prices? The printer needs to work in Windows Vista 64-bit.

PS: One last question... I was looking around some myself for inkjet printers online, and noticed that most of them say things like "4 color carts", "6 color carts", etc. What's up with that? Last time I owned an inkjet printer there were just black carts and color carts, not 4 or 6 carts (I have not owned an inkjet printer since the mid 90s).

Sorry for the long message. Thank you for reading and any suggestions are welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:57 AM

The first thing I check on a new printer is if the heads are built into the cartridges or it has it's own separate print head. Separate print heads wear out eventually and they are not cheap. The next thing I look for is if you can purchase the cartridges on ebay as remanufactured. If you can find them on ebay then you most likely will be able to fill the cartridges yourself with bulk ink. Check out inktek's website to see if they offer a refill kit. You can get these kits on ebay. Some of the kits have a plastic device to hold the cartridge while filling and to prime the inkjet heads in the cartridge after filling. After you purchase the kit with the primer and use up the ink in the kit you can then purchase bulk ink on ebay. I have refilled an old lexmark blank cartridge at least 5 times and it still prints well.

Epson is changing it's model by offering a printer that using inkjet tanks but this requires a separate inkjet head with as I said before will eventually need to be replaced. You should get at least two years out of it though. The printers are not cheap You also need to print regularly or the ink in the head will dry out. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 September 2015 - 08:05 AM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:39 AM

IMO for a bit more $$$ go for a color lazer, they there are far cheaper in the long run to use and also last way longer!  A real Win Win!!!!!!!!!!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:08 AM

I know you're not happy with HP but they have a pretty good line of ink jet, all in one units, for 50 to 100 USD.  Ink is pricey, but refills make a great alternative.  I keep a new tri-color and black cartridge for photos to be sure the colors are exact. 

#5 bdr33733

bdr33733

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:13 AM

After trying several Hp and Brother models i can tell you that having a printer with separate print head (like Hp8600, 8610..etc) is a total nightmare, once the print head wears out or even get blocked (which can easily happens) you are forced to buy a new one with the price of a new printer (Hp 8610 print head costs $120) or you have to live with improper striaghted prints.

On the other hand you better buy an advanced Hp printer with built-in print head cartridge (like Hp 4645) , once having any issue with the print head you can easily replace it for new one, besides the cartridge can be re-filled and re-used using the 3 cartridge swape process, and the best of all is that its cartridges are really cheap and gives sharp crisp prints.

#6 krs000a

krs000a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:46 AM

Thanks for your replies!

Just one side question regarding laserprinters... If I was to give it another shot and buy a laserjet, which manufacturer generally produces the better printers? Like I said, I had bad experiences with HP. Do you think this was perhaps just bad luck? My mother has a Canon laser printer which was purchased around the same time as mine, and although hers has always printed beautiful pictures, ironically it has now also broken down and won't print anything anymore.

Which is better, HP, Brother, Canon, Epson? Anything in particular I should pay extra attention to / avoid when buying a laser printer?

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:10 AM

I will address your question regarding 2 cartridges vs. 4 or 6.

This is based on units that use 4 cartridges.

2 cartridges (black and color) or 4 cartridges (one black and one each cyan, magenta, yellow)

I will say that I prefer 4 cartridges over 2.

The reason is that all 3 colors-cyan, magenta, yellow-are combined in a single cartridge for printers using a single color cartridge.

Depending on what is printed it is possible that one or two colors will run out but the 3rd color ink will still be in the cartridge. Kind of difficult to print a multi-color page if the only color left is magenta. So you buy a new color cartridge and waste what color was left.

Multi-cartridges likely won't run out of color at the same time. It is *usually* cheaper to buy only the color you need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users