Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Big Brother is watching you", me/us!?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Graphicool1

Graphicool1

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:50 AM

For weeks now, I have been having MS constantly and consistently harrowing me to install W10; I decided to make the move and remove the folder $Windows.~BT. I thought, it's just a folder, it's been downloaded to my system without my say so and as yet hasn't been installed. So I'll just delete it. Right click the folder, clicked delete! A window opened...

"You need permission to remove this file"

It's been put on my PC, without my permission. But, I (the administrator) needs permission to remove it!? Who do they think they are, arrogant or what?!

For sometime (before it's launch on an unsuspecting world) I, (a nobody in the greater scheme of things) have had my concerns about the coming of W10 or as it was seen at that time, the next, maybe 'Win9' Operating System? (OS). Not least, because it would be heralding from the Microsoft stable.

Looking back at all that has gone before, the procession has hardly been an auspicious progression of progressive greatness, has it? So it was with some trepidation that I half welcomed and half dreaded the onset of this new dawn, in the latest chapter of the Microsoft dynasty.

I wasn't to know, (no-one was) that this was going to be the latest and perhaps greatest OS disaster in the history of Microsoft. Yes there may be aspects that could be described as good, but these are so easily overlooked on the back of all that's bad. Initially, the pressure to download, followed by the blocked regular 7/8 updates. Then along came the sting of a forced install.

If these faux pas weren't bad enough, look no further than that EULA. Yes, it's true I hold my hands up, in the past, I, like so many others who have wanted a particular (free) software programme; have turned a blind eye to the contents of the EULA. By just clicking on the 'I Agree' button, knowing that if I didn't I wouldn't be getting the software. But hey, hitherto they've only said something along the lines of...

'...This non-exclusive License allows one registered user to install and use the Software on one (1) computer or local workstation only, subject to the terms and conditions of this License Agreement...'etc

'...The update or upgrade may only be used to replace the original, legally licensed version and the original version may not be transferred to another user or other third parties...'etc

'...Reverse engineering, disassembly, decompilation and any and all other methods capable of providing access to the trade secrets contained in the Software are all strictly and expressly prohibited...'etc

Yeah, yeah I know all this, it's doing my head in, just give me the freeware already!.

Did we ever think that one day some company would come along and take advantage of our lack of diligence. In a world where so many sicko's lay in wait to pounce on stupid and unwary folk? No of course we didn't, we are the innocents, sure we know it happens, but to someone else, not us!.

Then along comes Microsoft, our buddy that sold us the world and more in a little box. Out of everyone that we might think could be out to get us, it wasn't Microsoft. Why not? Because, for all it's past mistakes, it hurts itself and it's own credibility more than it hurts anyone else. Almost every time it launches a new OS (with 1 or 2 exceptions) it shoots itself in the foot!

So, with that in mind, how did they think that this, their latest harbinger, would be received by the people of the world? What were they thinking? Or perhaps the question should be...were they thinking? Could the truth of the matter be that they have got too big and it's gone to their heads. Their latest EULA that accompanies Win10 would have you believe that this might well be the case.

When I read...

"Problem: MSFT, magazines and other public-discourse outlets are NOT properly explaining this text. Yet it becomes your responsibility to obey, if you install Windows 10; for you become contractually bound to terms that you won't fully understand. Here in particular there is great shock at what 'rights' MSFT has over your data. Should be even greater shock at MSFT's enforcement rights over the content of your machine, to the point where it can purposefully and remotely, disable or remove

• features,
  • programs, and/or
  • private and personal content
  • from your machine for reasons which in its opinion, are right.

There's no precedent for these provisions, in other products I can find. When you buy milk or shoes, the milk or shoemaker has no rights over how you use the milk or shoes. When you get your driver's license, the polity granting it to you can revoke it, yes: but it doesn't police your driving habits. When you buy other software, how you use it is your responsibility, not the software issuer's; so, there is a standard disclaimer clause to that effect; meaning, the software maker disavows any policing authority over software it contracted with you."

(The above is a direct quote from)...

http://brainout.net/frankforum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=59&p=53#p73  

I myself am an artist, poet, photographer and writer. So, what do you think that the above reference and explanations would mean to me?.

The following phrase came to my mind..."Big Brother is watching you", me/us!?

"Big Brother is a fictional character or symbol in George Orwell's novel Nineteen Eighty-Four. He is claimed to be the leader (either the actual enigmatic dictator or perhaps a symbolic figurehead) of Oceania, a totalitarian state wherein the ruling Party wields total power "for its own sake" over the inhabitants.

In the society that Orwell describes, every citizen is under constant surveillance by the authorities, mainly by telescreens (with the exception of the Proles). The people are constantly reminded of this by the slogan "Big Brother is watching you": a maxim which is ubiquitously on display. In modern culture the term "Big Brother" has entered the lexicon as a synonym for abuse of government power, particularly in respect to civil liberties, often specifically related to mass surveillance."

(The above is a direct quote from)...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brother_%28Nineteen_Eighty-Four%29

Is it just me, or can anyone else see the comparison?.

Such is Life

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:14 AM

Microsoft has been doing it for a while now and it drives people crazy!

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:54 AM

Ironic, that I'm the link used for this topic, so I should weigh in.  Sorry for not coming sooner.  I had an internal drive die and needed to replace it, the replacement still ongoing.  Win7 updates are OFF, naturlich.  For Win7 is the old license, sans snooping.

Snooping, began with Win8, where the express purpose was to 'monetize the desktop' pre Microsoft's own reports to Wall Street, look up 'Amy Hood' and 'Windows' and 'monetize' in Google to see both 8 and 10 are designed for that reason.

But in 10, you get the cursed aka.ms/msa which turns your machine into Big Brother.  But not only for Win10, but for Office 365, Bing usage, a wide variety of nonsense.  See for yourself, type/paste that 'aka' into your browser address, and then click on 'here' for the 'services', which takes you here.

So yeah, MSFT as Big Brother (paragraph 3) monitoring and holding you to a CODE OF CONDUCT (ibid) if you use ANY of those services.  Which of course you do, in Win8, if you use BING to search for anything (as indeed you must).  Or, Office365.  Or, many of the other 'services' which are endemic to Win8 and 10.

So, Graphicool1, you read the EULA now, right?  And did you download KB3050265 to stop GWX from installing on your machine again, or do you have Windows 7 Home, which requires a different solution?

MSFT sings the same 'safety' song with excuses like the opening soliloquy by Danny Aiello in Purple Rose of Cairo (currently on Comcast MGMHD, as I type), all dog-ate-my-homework and bullying the victim, playing the victim like any abusive husband plays on his wife or religionist plays on everyone else, or vice versa.  Been there, done that once too often now.

Edited by brainout, 24 September 2015 - 05:18 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:36 AM

Hi brainout

Re your question's...

"So yeah, MSFT as Big Brother (paragraph 3) monitoring and holding you to a CODE OF CONDUCT (ibid) if you use ANY of those services.  Which of course you do, in Win8, if you use BING to search for anything (as indeed you must).  Or, Office365.  Or, many of the other 'services' which are endemic to Win8 and 10."

Well actually no, I don't. I have a dual boot of W7 Pro 64 bit and W7 Home 32 bit. My search engine is Yahoo! on Firefox. Neither do I use, or have ever used Office of any number. Also I like to think I fly underneath the radar. As I don't use Facebook, Twitter or any other such data mining programmes.

"So, Graphicool1, you read the EULA now, right?"

Most certainly.

"And did you download KB3050265 to stop GWX from installing on your machine again, or do you have Windows 7 Home, which requires a different solution?"

Well now, here's a thing, I attempted to. I did download it, but when i came to install, it said you already have it installed on your PC. So I did a search with 'Agent Ransack' and he turned up 18 items associated with KB3050265 all dating from 09/05/2015...

C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_13_for_KB3050265~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.9.cat (10.00 KB, 09/05/2015 11:36:37)

C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_13_for_KB3050265~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.9.mum (4.00 KB, 09/05/2015 11:27:44)

There are 8 of these, the only changes being, firstly instead of (13) there are 2x14 - 2x73 - 2x74 each alternating between cat & mum followed by...

Two lines as above but with 'SP1' after the KB number. Then another two lines also as above, but without any number where '13 - 14 etc had been. Then 1 line as...

C:\Windows\System32\catroot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\Package_13_for_KB3050265~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.9.cat (10.00 KB, 09/05/2015 11:36:37)

Followed by three more lines the same except for the numbers, IE following 13 as above with 14 - 73 - 74 just one line of each all being 'cat'. Then two more lines as the last 4 with the changes being 'no 13 - 14 etc numbers' but both being 'cat'.

So, my question is, if indeed I already had/have KB3050265 why am I suffering under the weight of the continuing barrage of the W10 installation attempts!?

Edited by Graphicool1, 24 September 2015 - 06:48 AM.

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:34 AM

Then, darling GC, you didn't watch my video, did ya.  It shows live how to ENABLE that KB.  For just downloading it doesn't solve anything.  And you got it on 9/05, but didn't run it.  Video shows you how, so just do the steps in the video, since the KB is already on your 64-bit Pro system.

As for the 32-bit Home, last Monday I got an email from Woody Leonhard at Infoworld (in polite reply to my weekend query re the silence over KB3050265), saying he wrote out the instructions, here.  Search on Josh Mayfield, and then follow the instructions after that.  Mr. Leonhard wrote to me that those instructions belong to Win7 Home.  I don't have it, so I can't vouch for it.  I can vouch for the video on 32-bit Win7 Pro, which should be the same as 64-bit Pro, as I did the steps live onscreen for 32-bit.

Edited by brainout, 24 September 2015 - 07:41 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:35 AM

@Graphicool1, your analogy is "spot on".

My rig is Windows 7 and I tried to download KB3050265 and the standalone installer reported that " This update is not applicable to this machine ". I have updates set to "check for updates but let me decide whether to download and install". Changed to this setting several weeks ago. I do have $Windows.~BT folder and am undecided at this time to attempt to uninstall as I'm hoping MS will reverse this path they are currently traversing. Not holding my breath though.

Most likely MS will not change direction unless the "Court of Public Opinion" creates such a backlash they have no alternative or a Class Action or some kind of litigation forces them to acquiesce. We'll just have to wait and see.

#7 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:38 AM

@brainout,

Did see your video about that KB and how to enable. Thanks for that, even though I haven't actually 'enabled.

#8 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:47 AM

@sikntired, understood.  It's a personal decision everyone must make for himself.

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:29 PM

Graphicool, see my suggestions on dealing with the permission error in the post I made on your other thread. Also look here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/551980/the-windows-updates-monitoring-thread/page-7#entry3774175

the post is about deleting another file than the folder you mention, but the method is the same as you'll need to use, only you'll be deleting that BT folder instead of the gwx exe files I was eradicating when I made that post.

And look here, once again this is about deleting some gwx files, not deleting the bt folder, but it is the same principle of changing owners and permissions. Look at the second last paragrpah of that post to see what I mean, I remind you the post is about gwx files but the same method can be used for the bt folder, and make to have a system image first.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/585313/gwxuxworkerexe/#entry3782820

Hope that information helps you solve your problem.

P.S. you mention the novel 1984, I don't know when I wrote it but somewhere on here I have a post describing how the interfaces of "tablet y" styled systems could be considered to be like "newspeak". Here is that old post of mine: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584617/like-akbar-says-its-a-trap/page-2#entry3781014

Brainout post #3 "if you use BING to search for anything (as indeed you must)"
I certainly remember managing to remove bing from my machine, I think it can be removed from windows 8/8.1 fairly easily, just uninstall the program. Windows 10 is another matter though. Are there other features built into windows 8.1 which are actively snooping, that is features which can't be disabled, rather than bundleware which one uninstalls within 20 minutes of having a new machine.

Edited by rp88, 25 September 2015 - 01:14 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:55 PM

Well, rp88, the bigger point was that the 'services' are in use in other versions, not merely 10.  So the minute you use them, you are under aka.ms/msa , which is the offending agreement.  To a lesser extent, aka.ms/privacy is legally offensive as well, its section on 'Reasons We Share Personal Data', which Gordon Kelly and some of the UK pubs were repeating to no avail, the section after you enter that Paragraph and click on 'Learn More', quoted below in context (bolding added):

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:

1. comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;
  2. protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;
  3. operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or
  4. protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services - however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer's private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

So now look:  Say Sam uses Office 365, or the other 'services' listed in aka.ms/msa -- AND/OR uses Win10.  He's thus under aka.ms/msa, and maybe (I didn't check all the instances) under aka.ms/privacy as well: definitely under both with Win10 Paragraphs 1, 3, 14.

So now pretend Sally sues Sam her husband for divorce;  to get a bigger 'settlement' she alleges stuff on his computer proves he's a bad guy or cheating on her.  Absent these heinous provisions, Sally's lawyer would have to go to Sam and obtain the data, and Sam's lawyer can deny that, on the grounds that confidential data is on the machine.  Then Sam's and Sally's lawyer's negotiate a private agreement, so the data which is not involved in the divorce, is left out.  That's due process.

But with MSFT involved, there is no such thing.  Simple subpoena filed, MSFT obeys.  It's not supposed to know which is confidential or not.  Or, it's supposed to know, since it arrogates itself policing rights in aka.ms/msa Paragraph 3b.

Same, if a MERE ACCUSATION of a crime occurs.  Absent these EULA terms, the accuser has to go to the police, who go to a judge, who hears the argument for a court order to search.  But with these EULA terms, it's directly MSFT deciding to comply or not, rather than duly constituted legal authority.

Fire the MSFT lawyers.  Yesterday.  I've said this several times before, but hopefully by now you can see why.  Endless lawsuits all due to bad EULA language, backed up by 'telemetry' which gives MSFT 'teeth'.

Edited by brainout, 24 September 2015 - 09:46 PM.

#11 BlackDoveMobile

BlackDoveMobile

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:22 PM

Should be pretty obvious by now that Microsoft is not the sole creator of Windows 10 or their 45 page intentionally vague terms.

#12 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:41 AM

brainout

I did run your vid, however, when it got to the end I was uncertain as to whether or not there should be a space between...'exe' and '/force' and whether it would make any difference. I now know that if there isn't a space it doesn't run. 

Further to your W7 vid, I think I should add that your end sequence re the 'run' scenario, doesn't apply to W7 Pro. Because W7 Pro doesn't show 'run' where you show it.

So, for the benefit of those with W7 Pro if you want to find 'run'. Type:- 

run

In the Search slot and you'll see it at the top of the list that opens.

Hi Sikntired

Thanx for that. Regarding...

"I do have $Windows.~BT folder and am undecided at this time to attempt to uninstall as I'm hoping MS will reverse this path they are currently traversing."

I'm with you on this matter, I too would like to give it a go. But, not while it remains a Beta and has that dodgy EULA.

Good 'ole MS, they can always be relied upon to muddy the water's and turning public opinion against them.

rp88

I did see your suggestions on my other post and responded, I'll also check out that link. Cheers

Edited by Graphicool1, 25 September 2015 - 05:00 AM.

#13 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:49 AM

Hey, GC!  Thank you for your comments!  Yes, a space between gpupdate.exe and /force.  Sorry if it's unclear in the video.  That's standard syntax with option switches, too, in DOS, Windows post-DOS, and Linux, to put a space between the command and the switches.  As for 'Run', it's a common option to have appear in the Start Menu  (hover over Start Menu, right-click Properties, click on Start Menu tab, then 'Customize' button, then select 'Run command' near the bottom of that scrolling set of options).  So mine has it, as I need it.  You could instead use cmd.exe aka the DOS prompt black window, but since most folks I know opt for 'run' to be in the Start Menu for Win7 pro, I listed it that way.

Does this help?

Edited by brainout, 25 September 2015 - 04:50 AM.

#14 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:12 AM

brainout

"You could instead use cmd.exe aka the DOS prompt black window, but since most folks I know opt for 'run' to be in the Start Menu for Win7 pro, I listed it that way."

I like to be different, my 'Command Prompt' is permanently on the 'Desktop Task Bar'. As is, 'Win Task Manager', 'Control Panel' and a multitude of other useful things. That once upon a time not so very long ago, I needed to have close at hand!. Tho' since I've been using W7 Pro, they haven't been used very much of late.

#15 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:08 PM

Post #10, if sam were using office 365 but was using windows xp/vista/7/8/8.1 or was running office 365 using wine in linux (don't know if wine works for office 365 or not) then surely, would it not be a matter that as long as the private files hadn't been made with ms office programs (lets say sam used open office/libre office for his private things even though he might have had ms office instaledd as well)ms wouldn't be able to get at them, they could only get at the files which had been made/opened by ms office programs? Users of non windows 10 operating systems might have agreed to these new license terms for within office programs they run but they certainly won't have at any point had to agree to them in regards to the everything on their cmputers.

ofcourse with windows 10 files wouldn't be safe whichever program they were made and opened in.

Edited by rp88, 25 September 2015 - 12:10 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users