Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My "shutdown Computer" Button Has Dissapeared!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ThomasElite

ThomasElite

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:26 PM

The shutdown computer button in the start menu has dissapeared. Does anyone know why? I can't recall exactly when it happened, so I would'nt know what caused it. When I press the power button on my computer that doesn't work either. The only way my pc can shut off is if I log off first. Then it will let me shut down. This problem also seems to be coupled with my Icons not staying where I put them on my desktop. I can move them around, but when I restart, they're back in their old position. And my videocard won't stay overclocked either, when I shut down everything seems to revert. Maybe it's because of some setting I tampered with, but I'm just not sure. Help would be much appreciated, I'm feeling like I don't control my own pc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:35 PM

If it was mine, I would do a clean install & start over.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:20 AM

Reset your bios back to safe configuration - overclocking can cause many problems including burning out your video card, motherboard and processor.

After you do that, start in safe mode and choose last known good configuration.

Let us know.

#4 ThomasElite

ThomasElite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:06 AM

I probably should reinstall windows, but my damn pc provider didn't leave me a windows intall disk. Good thing I gots the UK Magizine PC Answers to show me how to make my own. YEah! Well, I think I just realized my dual hardware Profiles I made may have been the thing messing with the icons. (I had one profile for single screen, and the other for dual) SO I just ditched the dual and reverted to a single profile. Got to check throughly if it works. As for the Shutdown button, I've been thinking... Maybe my computer mas become a zombie or something. Like, someone else is conrtolling my pc. (I read about it in PC Answers too) (No, that's not the only resource I have for pc knowledge!) It just seems to be the only thing that would make sense. I forgot to say that the other problem I recently realized is that some programs I have schelduled to run at startup don't. Like avast! Kerio Firewall and other just fail to start, even when I click on them the manually make them start! Ugh! Anger! HULK SMASH! Does anyone know if this is caused by some known virus or such? MUCH appreciated.

(Oh, and I tried just not overclocking my videocard, as it is the only thing overclocked, damn motherboard makers make it HARD to tamper with CPU! I'll see how it works out) Safe mode I didn't know what button to press to start it. Is it different than BIOS? (F2) Many a Thanks for helping!

Edited by ThomasElite, 18 July 2006 - 09:11 AM.

#5 ThomasElite

ThomasElite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:17 AM

Oh, and just for additional information, I have limewire, frostwire, yahoo mail (My mom's) Bitdefender, RegSeeker and other tweaker programs. Could something like limewire be the cause?

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:39 AM

Certain versions of Limewire software will infect you with malware, and 80% of the shared files you get through Limewire are bundled with malware.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users