Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Proving port blocking

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tizzie

tizzie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:09 AM

Hey guys,

2 year sys amin here looking for some more insight into proving a network traffic problem is present on a VPS server I purchased.

I an running a game server that requires ports be opened and traffic to flow through ports 7777, and 27015. After an exorbitant amount of troubleshooting, and doing what I can to have the VPS provider take this issue seriously. I am at a point where I need to try and prove that there are ports being blocked on my IP.

I have forwarded the ports I require on both TCP and UDP to be thorough, taken down the firewall altogether, reinstalled from Server 2012 R2 to Ubuntu 15.04 Server, and Arch Linux for proof of concept and the specific ports always function the same way, some are opened, and the ones I mentioned above remain closed when checking them with a external port checker.

The server I am running in turn does not function as it is supposed to, and I have been banging my head against the wall to get the VPS provider to start investigating their end for some traffic problem with either their equipment, or their leased line.

Is there a way I can analyze the traffic and provide some sort of concrete evidence that the port filtering we are seeing is not coming from my configuration? I definitely don't have a strong grasp of internet traffic, or network analysis tools to fight this battle myself.

I see this issue more that I like to see at work where an ISP promises that they do not block traffic whatsoever, and after some analysis from our advanced team we find that there are traffic blocks in place that nobody knew about.

I am quite confident at this moment that I have no control over this issue as it has been the same problem without change no matter what configuration change I their at it.

I would appreciate any insight into this.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users