Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting laptop to wi fi

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ytgrrl

Ytgrrl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:27 PM

When i try to connect my laptop to wi fi it says Iam connected but with limited access local only. My phone connects to the same wi fi no problem
But not the laptop. It won't connect. Even to my friends hotspot on her phone.I'm running windows vista. Last week it got on the wi fi at motel 6 no problem.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 September 2015 - 09:52 PM.
moved from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:37 PM

Sounds like your connectivity is being shut down by your firewall rules.

Are you using Windows firewall and/or 3rd party protection?

#3 Ytgrrl

Ytgrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:17 AM

Just windows firewall. I suspect it is a setting that some how got changed but I cant figure which one
But also I think think the password from motel 6 is still there I've tried to change I type it in but it goes back to what ever is in there ani can't check the show password box I see it but its lighter than every thing else

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:32 AM

Just right click on the Motel 6 connection and select "forget". Problem solved.

then

• Start>Control Panel>Classic View.
  • Double-click on Windows Firewall icon.
  • Click on "Change Settings".
  • Go to the Advanced tab.
  • Click on the "Restore Defaults" button.

iGcy1FiQ-firea-s-.png

Works now?

Edited by TsVk!, 24 September 2015 - 02:38 AM.

#5 Ytgrrl

Ytgrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:39 AM

The motel 6 is gone so couldn't forget it and did the default reset did not work. I forgot to say originally too that it says its unidentified. Also in security the password (still don't know what is typed in there) is wrong because it doesn't have enough characters but when I back space and type in the correct PW it just goes back

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:08 PM

If you can get on motel 6 but not your own wifi router the problem does not appear to be firewall related.

If you can access your wifi router with the phone then its not the router.

That leaves only one thing: your wifi card.

Don't over think what you see for the amount of characters in the wifi password.  The dots can be more or less characters and the amount of them doesn't mean anything but are there as a standard so if someone was looking over your shoulder they wouldn't know the amount of characters since that would give them a clue in hacking your connection.

If you have saved a wifi profile for your home wifi access delete it and recreate it.

Check to see if there are updated drivers for your wifi card.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:57 PM

If you can get on motel 6 but not your own wifi router the problem does not appear to be firewall related.

If you can access your wifi router with the phone then its not the router.

That leaves only one thing: your wifi card.

That doesn't make sense. We established the wifi card works because it connects to the motel wifi.

Also the router could be restricting the network access specifically for that computer, we haven't ruled that out either. We don't know if it is the router at this stage, that is a later step if we can't establish a local problem.

Don't over think what you see for the amount of characters in the wifi password.  The dots can be more or less characters and the amount of them doesn't mean anything but are there as a standard so if someone was looking over your shoulder they wouldn't know the amount of characters since that would give them a clue in hacking your connection.

Totally. If you are getting limited local access you have the right router password and you wifi card is working.

The next step is to check that you are obtaining your IP and DNS automatically.

Follow this how to with pictures except choose your wireless adapter, not the ethernet adapter like in the tutorial.

Was it set to a static address and/or DNS? And you changed it to "obtain automatically"?

Works now?

#8 scotv

scotv

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:15 AM

Most probably a DNS issue.

check router setting s on your system.

Get you ISP technician to check whats the problem.

Scot V

Marketing Head

Member- DSIM

Fastest Web Browser for Windows

#9 Ytgrrl

Ytgrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:48 PM

Thank you allso much for helping Mr with this issue I've tried every thing but still it won't connect to the motel I'm staying at now but it will connect to the hot spot on a phone wtf? I'd rather use the hotel free wi fi its faster

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:57 PM

See if this would help

Tekken

#11 anonyirony

anonyirony

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:50 AM

Hi, I had the same problem a few days ago. Tried everything and nothing worked. In the end I just had to restart the router... haha simple, but worked... haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users