Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I upgrade monitor?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:25 PM

I was thinking, should I upgrade my old 17" 1280x1024 monitor to a slightly bigger and higher resolution monitor (like 22" and 1920x1080)? Although if I do so, I may have to upgrade my GPU (I currently have a GTX 750 Ti) as well since a few demanding games and 3D modelling software run OK on my current monitor but it may struggle struggle with a higher resolution monitor. What are your thoughts?

:)

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:58 PM

I would say yes.  It depends on you, but then I haven't used a 17" monitor like that in a long while, and I've got used to wide screen higher resolution IPS monitors now :)  I don't think there's necessarily a need to change the GPU, you can always turn down game detail settings if needed.  It can always be changed at a later date if you really find it's not sufficient.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:06 PM

I would say yes.  It depends on you, but then I haven't used a 17" monitor like that in a long while, and I've got used to wide screen higher resolution IPS monitors now :)  I don't think there's necessarily a need to change the GPU, you can always turn down game detail settings if needed.  It can always be changed at a later date if you really find it's not sufficient.

How, specifically, would I benefit from a monitor like that though? Pretty much everyone has one nowadays.

Also, what would you recommend as an inexpensive 22" monitor that is reliable?

Edited by gigawert, 23 September 2015 - 10:07 PM.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:18 PM

Higher resolution = more screen "real estate" (I hate that term, but you know what I mean?).  So, you can work easier on two windows side by side.  You could have say a web browser and a spreadsheet running side by side using Windows "snap" feature, and have a better chance of using them both.

I don't know what you currently have, but if it's a good few years old then the fluorescent backlight might well be wearing out, resulting in less vibrant images.  IPS screens which were once extremely expensive are now quite affordable, and these give true 24 bit colour without dithering, plus wider viewing angles (no annoying colour shift as you look at it from an off centre position).  LED backlights which are now common last longer and use less power.

This Dell looks good value.  I haven't owned that screen specifically but I've found other Dell screens to be pretty good quality.  LG also make a few good value screens of a similar spec.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:23 PM

Higher resolution = more screen "real estate" (I hate that term, but you know what I mean?).  So, you can work easier on two windows side by side.  You could have say a web browser and a spreadsheet running side by side using Windows "snap" feature, and have a better chance of using them both.

I don't know what you currently have, but if it's a good few years old then the fluorescent backlight might well be wearing out, resulting in less vibrant images.  IPS screens which were once extremely expensive are now quite affordable, and these give true 24 bit colour without dithering, plus wider viewing angles (no annoying colour shift as you look at it from an off centre position).  LED backlights which are now common last longer and use less power.

This Dell looks good value.  I haven't owned that screen specifically but I've found other Dell screens to be pretty good quality.  LG also make a few good value screens of a similar spec.

Lol, my monitor (Samsung Syncmaster 173s) says it was manufactured in February of 2004!  :hysterical:

I don't have lots of desk space, so I'm thinking a monitor no larger than 22" and also less than $100 will be perfect. I will see what other Dell and LG monitors there are available.

#6 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:58 PM

What do you think about this one? Best monitor for $99.99 IMO.

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:30 PM

I think that monitor choice is good, has a great value and reviews.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:49 PM

Agree, it should be fine.  There's not a huge choice of 22" monitors at that price, so it looks a good deal. I think it would definitely be an improvement over the current monitor, given it's age.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:57 PM

Ok, then. :) I'm planning on using my current 17" for a Raspberry Pi project, an all-in-one computer to be exact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users