Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(Debian) steam will not start "Fatal Error..."

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:54 PM

Whenever i start steam i get this error:

Fatal Error: Failed to load steamui.so

I understand that this was brought up a lot and i have tried googling it but everyone seems to have a completely different problem.

If i open it in terminal, this is everything it says:

$ steam
Running Steam on kali 1.1.0 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1440016726)
[2015-09-23 20:52:45] Startup - updater built Aug 19 2015 11:27:40
Looks like steam didn't shutdown cleanly, scheduling immediate update check
[2015-09-23 20:52:45] Checking for update on startup
[2015-09-23 20:52:45] Checking for available updates...
[2015-09-23 20:52:46] Download skipped: /client/steam_client_ubuntu12 version 1440016726, installed version 1440016726
[2015-09-23 20:52:46] Nothing to do
[2015-09-23 20:52:46] Verifying installation...
[2015-09-23 20:52:46] Performing checksum verification of executable files
[2015-09-23 20:52:47] Verification complete
[2015-09-23 20:52:48] Shutdown

It gives me the error as soon as the update comes up. 

I was told i had to download libcurl3 but i already have it(it also says i may have broken packages but synaptic says otherwise).

ooh, i have a signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:37 PM

I don't know about Kali. Kali would be set up more towards pen testing, So it may be missing some  32 bit libs.

Have you tried this.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/846940248468745632/

Kali Linux is based on Debian "wheezy"

Edited by NickAu, 24 September 2015 - 12:41 AM.

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:01 AM

Kali probably isn't the best Linux distro to try and run steam. Steam can be a bit finicky anyway sometimes, so that just compounds the problems. I would install Ubuntu and give it another try. I usually don't have any problems running it on that.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:35 AM

Just found this while poking around. Again though, I would just install Ubuntu and run it on there. Kali is not meant for these types of things.

#5 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:55 AM

I don't know about Kali. Kali would be set up more towards pen testing, So it may be missing some  32 bit libs.

Have you tried this.

I know that and have already tried that. As a matter of a fact, i was debating whether or not to put "Wheezy" in the title, but everything i did was based on my system being Debian Wheezy-like

Just found this while poking around. Again though, I would just install Ubuntu and run it on there. Kali is not meant for these types of things.

I have tried it before and it led me to this error. Kali may not be meant for these things but if i do it like the distro it was based on it should work the same(To be completely honest, I only picked kali over debian itself because of the nice background. I know i could probably just find it on the internet but i thought, "What the hell, they are not that different. They just have different sources and bleep."

also in that link, the DL is broken

ooh, i have a signature

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:12 AM

Have you tried this.

I know that and have already tried that. As a matter of a fact, i was debating whether or not to put "Wheezy" in the title, but everything i did was based on my system being Debian Wheezy-like

I have tried it before and it led me to this error. Kali may not be meant for these things but if i do it like the distro it was based on it should work the same(To be completely honest, I only picked kali over debian itself because of the nice background. I know i could probably just find it on the internet but i thought, "What the hell, they are not that different. They just have different sources and bleep."

You can change the background, haha. Really if that is what you chose it over I would wipe Kali. If you are not using it to do any pen testing at all then it is not worth having. Kali is highly customized to be used as a pen testing distro, it is not meant to be used as a day to day main OS. I would actually say that Debian and Kali are quite a bit different. Kali was built off of Debian but that doesn't mean that they are close to the same. Again Kali is highly customized as a pen testing distro, there are more than likely a lot of different things that were left out of it due to this fact, or run different because of this. If the background was really the only reason you chose kali, then I don't see why you would want to fight with steam to get it to run when you could run other distros and run it perfectly fine.

This is just my opinion though. All up to you on what you want to do. I just don't see the point.

#7 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:58 PM

Have you tried this.

You can change the background, haha. Really if that is what you chose it over I would wipe Kali. If you are not using it to do any pen testing at all then it is not worth having. Kali is highly customized to be used as a pen testing distro, it is not meant to be used as a day to day main OS. I would actually say that Debian and Kali are quite a bit different. Kali was built off of Debian but that doesn't mean that they are close to the same. Again Kali is highly customized as a pen testing distro, there are more than likely a lot of different things that were left out of it due to this fact, or run different because of this. If the background was really the only reason you chose kali, then I don't see why you would want to fight with steam to get it to run when you could run other distros and run it perfectly fine.

This is just my opinion though. All up to you on what you want to do. I just don't see the point.

You can't have a kali background without kali XD

also i do use it for pen-testing as well. I also use it as an everyday computer. My point was, i could get the pen testing tools fairly easily and the background was what caused me to not care about whether or not they were pre-installed

Edited by TOMIS13LACK, 24 September 2015 - 05:00 PM.

ooh, i have a signature

#8 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:47 PM

Just wanna relate that a few months ago I attempted to install Steam client on Debian Jessie, following instructions from Debian Wiki, and got similar results to you - constantly starting up and terminating itself without ever finishing launching.

I gave up on getting it to work in Debian and installed Ubuntu. Steam client worked fine in Ubuntu, although my Nvidia driver caused Unity desktop to break. I was able to install Mate desktop and all was good.

#9 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:38 PM

You can't have a kali background without kali XD

also i do use it for pen-testing as well. I also use it as an everyday computer. My point was, i could get the pen testing tools fairly easily and the background was what caused me to not care about whether or not they were pre-installed

Kali backgrounds

Of course unless you are referring to the desktop environment? But c'mon man, if you do pen-testing you should know you can find just about anything on the web! :-P

Just wanna relate that a few months ago I attempted to install Steam client on Debian Jessie, following instructions from Debian Wiki, and got similar results to you - constantly starting up and terminating itself without ever finishing launching.

I gave up on getting it to work in Debian and installed Ubuntu. Steam client worked fine in Ubuntu, although my Nvidia driver caused Unity desktop to break. I was able to install Mate desktop and all was good.

Yup, steam works great on Ubuntu. To be fair though, that is the distro Steam was developed for. They did all their testing for the initial release of Steam on Ubuntu.

#10 mattiwolf

mattiwolf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:46 PM

I am running kali linux and this is how I got steam to work

sudo su

apt-get install steam

source

http://askubuntu.com/questions/596741/error-installing-steam-on-ubuntu-14-04-fatal-error-loading-steamui-so

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:27 PM

Come on guys - cut back on the quoting !  Please !

By all means use quotes to highlight one particular point but it is very seldom necessary to quote a complete post, especially if it is almost entirely a string of quotes from preceding posts. Anything posted in a topic stays there for the life of BC so it's not as if it is going to disappear. Yes, very occasionally posts are deleted but this is almost always for serious breach of forum rules. Almost everything stays here.

Please !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#12 Enzix

Enzix

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:49 AM

Haven't tried gaming on Linux that much (tried a few Indie games and they work fine but those AAA not so great) but if you really want to play games from Steam...

My suggestion is to setup a dual-boot Windows and Kali.

Windows for gaming and Kali for Pentesting.

Of course, its possible to set it on Linux but it can be a hassle and might not perform well on Linux like it works on Windows.

I tried Arma3 which is available for Linux but it crashes a lot so.... just my opinion...

#13 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:05 AM

Guys, this is a year old thread. Lets leave it be!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users