Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Will Not Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Moke500

Moke500

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:29 PM

The problem that I am having is that my computer will not boot up. One day it worked fine and the next time that I tried to start it - nothing. Pressing the power switch did absolutely nothing.

Over the years, I have experienced this same type problem with other computers and every time it turned out to be the power supply. Taking for granted that this was the problem, I ordered and installed a new power supply. To my surprise, the computer was still dead. I then tested the new power supply, thinking that I got a dud. I disconnected the 24 pin plug from the motherboard, jumpered pins 15 and 16, and pluged the power cord into a receptacle. The power supply fan immediately came on. I then tested all of the remaining pins. Every voltage on every pin tested out good. I even checked every ground pin on the connector, all good.

At this point, I thought that is must be the motherboard. So I ordered a refurbished motherboard and installed it. Still nothing. I then ordered a new power switch and installed that. Still nothing. I double checked every connector to be sure they were all properly connected.

At this point, I am baffled. I know that the power supply tests good. The only thing that I can think of is that the refurbished motherboard is at fault, but that is just a guess. Any ideas?

The computer is a HP Pavilion Slimline S3713W. The product number is NC733AA#ABA.
Windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:23 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Powercycle the computer. Pull the power cord. Hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord and reboot.

Detach your keyboard and mouse, also your hard drive and optical drive. Then try a reboot. The only thing that you said has not been changed is the RAM. I would pull every module except one. Then try to reboot. Do this with the hard drive and optical drive detached.  If that does not work then change slots. If changing slots does not work then substitute another module and do the same thing.

I would also look to see if your CMOS battery is good. 

#3 Moke500

Moke500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:05 PM

Hello,

I removed everything except for the power switch. Did a powercycle. Removed all of the RAM except for one and then tried switching the RAM around. Still a no go. The battery voltage for the CMOS battery is good, 3 volts.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:43 AM

tried to start it - nothing. Pressing the power switch did absolutely nothing.

Do you see any power led light from the motherboard when the power cord is plugged on the outlet before pressing the ON button?

Tekken

#5 Moke500

Moke500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:13 AM

tried to start it - nothing. Pressing the power switch did absolutely nothing.

Do you see any power led light from the motherboard when the power cord is plugged on the outlet before pressing the ON button?

No

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:17 PM

The problem then is the replaced motherboard. Nothing much you could do but RMA it.

Tekken

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:49 AM

Buying anything refurb from a supplier is a toss of the dice, but especially for a mobo. For them to offer a refurb mobo is ridiculous; if a mobo is bad it would cost in labor time more to find out what component is bad and replace it than the board costs, and that is IF they can even discover which component is bad. And if it is a trace line that is faulty it cannot be fixed.  So some warehouse guy tossed it back in the bin for resale.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:02 AM

I don't know if you want to take the time to do this but there may be a problem between the case and motherboard. You can breadboard the MB then see if it boots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users