Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Found over 50GB of data in the found.000 after a windows crashed, best approach?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 helping hands

helping hands

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:31 PM

Hello all,

Here's something i've not run into before, this in on a newer computer, purhcased in the

last 6 months, and I came back to my computer, seemed to be asleep even though I have

sleep and hibernation disabled, and I had to force my computer off, after no response from

several efforts.

Then Windows 8.1 won't start, and the automated repairs don't succeed.

When windows was trying to start, it states something about the drive being locked, and

so I looked into those errors, but they didn't seem to apply to me.

Then I booted to the command prompt, get to the C: Drive, and I look at the directory and

it seems to be missing a number of folder such as Windows, and Program Files, as well as

the users directory is missing my primary user name.

Then I look into the found.000 folder, where CHKDSK keeps it's recovered and orphaned

data and I Found over 50GB of data!

I've never seen this before, i've had crashed drives, garbled data, corrupt data, etc..etc..

but I've never found a significant amount of data, in this folder, and clearly this is where

my windows, user profile, program files, and personal data has gone.

The folder has yesterday's date and time stamp around the time I encountered this problem.

What's the best approach to work with this, besides wipe and restore?

I'm more curious than anything and clearly if I can somehow recover this, return it to

working order, vs. wipe and restore, it'd be really appreciated.

The drive is working, passes diagnostics, and is a 3.5" Seagate 2TB Sata2 Drive, Desktop Model

thanks for any and all clues, tips, advice, and help

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:37 PM

Those chk files are portions of files Windows was able to recover after a chkdsk. You can see if any are recoverable using the following methods.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-recover-chk-files-created-by-chkdsk-and-scandisk/

#3 helping hands

helping hands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for that link, i saw it early, and I understood what that was going to do, it just seems very odd that it was able to find

over 50GB for "partial" data, it seems more like "something did this".

Anyone heard or seen of results like this?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:26 PM

The only way you would get these files is if Windows determined the file system was "dirty" and did a chkdsk. Your file system became corrupted from an improper shutdown. Sometimes an improper shutdown causes no problems and other times it causes havoc especially if Windows is writing to disk during the shutdown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users