Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A friend's email address is on multiple emails to contacts

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 techboy

techboy

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:49 PM

A friend of mine recently started getting a lot of emails from people on her contact list saying that they look like spam. They asked her if she sent these emails and of course, she didn't. She has changed her password but the problem persists. She has run a number of different scans and that hasn't solved the problem either. Is there anything that can be done?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:13 PM

If her contact list has been hacked, it can't be undone.  If they have the contact list, changing the password will not change anything.  Sounds like she needs to lock down her phone better.  She needs to be more careful, and check all her privacy settings.  Have her create a new email and let her contacts know.  People don't realize that they are granting the world access to their personal information with these phones.  Google+, Facebook, instagram, Pinterest, etc.... they all access ALL your personal info by default, and makes it simple for others to gain access.  

Edited by MarkMCS, 23 September 2015 - 05:31 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:50 PM

I would advise she has her machine checked for malware here on site or by a professional.

It is a common function of malware to propagate itself and distribute spam through email contacts, and if the machine is infected changing the password locally will do little to remedy the issue.

#4 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:10 PM

I may have been mistaken, but from what you said, I assume the breach occurred through her smartphone.  Most people secure their computer, but leave their phones wide open!  Many apps, e.g. gmail, Facebook, access ALL your phone data (including contacts), unless you specifically secure them using settings.  Someone got the data.  I have a couple of friends who have had the same issue. 

Edited by MarkMCS, 23 September 2015 - 07:17 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:12 PM

This is the Windows Vista forum Mark :whistle:

#6 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:07 PM

I know that, TsVK......and your point is???   I was only responding to Techboy's post.  I think his friend may have been hacked from her phone.  I've seen it quite a bit.   :bananas:

Edited by MarkMCS, 23 September 2015 - 08:08 PM.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:12 PM

I know that, TsVK......and your point is???   I was only responding to Techboy's post.  I think his friend may have been hacked from her phone.  I've seen it quite a bit.   :bananas:

My post actually made sense before you edited your one before mine.... tut tut.

Just trying to deal with the posters question with the information available, without speculating.

#8 techboy

techboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:04 PM

I may have been mistaken, but from what you said, I assume the breach occurred through her smartphone.  Most people secure their computer, but leave their phones wide open!  Many apps, e.g. gmail, Facebook, access ALL your phone data (including contacts), unless you specifically secure them using settings.  Someone got the data.  I have a couple of friends who have had the same issue. 

No, this happened on her computer.

#9 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:11 PM

Well, whether she was hacked from her computer or from the email app on her phone, the damage is done.  Be certain her computer is clean, and tell her to change her email.  At least her contacts will know it isn't her anymore.

#10 techboy

techboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:36 AM

Well, whether she was hacked from her computer or from the email app on her phone, the damage is done.  Be certain her computer is clean, and tell her to change her email.  At least her contacts will know it isn't her anymore.

I've advised her to do exactly that. I told her to get a totally new email account and get it all set up, then let all her contacts know that effective immediately, the old address will no longer be valid or responded to.

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:42 AM

That is not what I would advise in the first instance.

If her machine is infected the problem will continue with the new mail account also.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:52 AM

I would advise she has her machine checked for malware here on site or by a professional.

It is a common function of malware to propagate itself and distribute spam through email contacts, and if the machine is infected changing the password locally will do little to remedy the issue.

In the years I've been here watching the malware removal threads here I have never once seen an experienced malware removal expert recommend the user change their email address.

Edited by TsVk!, 24 September 2015 - 01:00 AM.

#13 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:01 AM

In the years I've been here watching the malware removal threads here I have never once seen an experienced malware removal expert recommend the user change their email address.

Agreed. If the machine is infected changing emails won't help.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:08 AM

IF a spammer has "borrowed" [spoofed] an email address, it matters not what is done to computer or phone.  However, youse guys are right as rain, OP needs to up the security on computer and phone to ensure malware does not originate from said devices.

Edited by RolandJS, 24 September 2015 - 12:31 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#15 techboy

techboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will pass this along and see what she decides to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users