Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delete Email?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dphenry157

dphenry157

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:12 AM

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone.  Currently the device is lagging very seriously.  I am assuming that to be the case because I have 5,000+ emails currently on the device.  How can I delete the email messages on the S4 without effecting the email on my MS Outlook on my desktop and laptop devices.  I am afraid that if I arbitrarily delete the emails on my S4 that I will also lose them on the desktop PC and laptop MS Outlook programs.  Help please?

TY,

Edit: Moved topic from Cell Phones to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:09 AM

My laptops and Samsung Galaxy Tab3 are set to leave emails on the email server.  Only desktop Thunderbird deletes emails from server.  Before you delete anything -- look for configuration panel and the choice to leave emails on the email server.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 dphenry157

dphenry157
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:35 PM

Where is configuration Panel?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:43 PM

I don't know.  Actually, now that I recall my adventure with the generic emailer -- I remembered that I could not delete my email via tab3's emailer, 'cause it also deleted same from email server.  I do not know where that configuration panel for your emailer would be; haven't found mine yet.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:00 PM

What app are you using to view your MS Outlook mail? Secondly can you use a desktop browser and log in to Outlook and view the mail? Or is it missing from Outlook, when mail is viewed through a desktop browser. If it's still in Outlook when viewed from a desktop browser, then your Android app is not deleting from the server.

If you can only see the emails through your Android app. Then the Android app is deleting your emails from the Outlook server once downloaded to your phone. They only exist on the phone in that case.

Clear as mud?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:07 PM

Crystal clear, Animal!  That's what happens on my Tab3, if I tell it to delete emails off the tab3, and then such is off my email server.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:19 PM

If your email account is an IMAP account all mail is synched across different devices.
This means it is on the server and when downloaded to one device the mail will remain on the server.

You then go to a different device and the same mail is downloaded on it.

When using IMAP, when you delete a mail on one device it will also delete it on the other devices and from the server.

This statement " Only desktop Thunderbird deletes emails from server" is true only if using POP mail and Thunderbird is not set to leave a copy of messages on the server.

In any case, even if Leave a copy of messages on the server is checked, deleting it from Thunderbird or any other email client will automatically delete them from the server and you lose that mail. (at least I think this is true. I will have to try it see)

#8 dphenry157

dphenry157
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:20 PM

Thank you, very valuable info!

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, Queen-Evie!  :)  Will add this info to my info-folder this week.  I never realized such a difference between pop and imap existed.

Edited by RolandJS, 24 September 2015 - 12:34 PM.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:37 PM

Thank you for that addition Q-E. I never use IMAP so I had forgotten to include that. Good information for those who use IMAP.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users