Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP recovery disk can't install on SATA HD.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _Alessio_

_Alessio_

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:07 AM

Hello,
I have the Toshiba dt01aca050 500GB SATA HD, don't know if it has been formatted,
 I connect it to the desktop computer "hp t130.it" using this IDE/SATA adapter

adaptateur-convertisseur-sata.jpg

with the jumper in MASTER position.

I turn on the pc and go into BIOS settings, there's the hdd "TFS@ABA DT00ACA0"
 but if I quit BIOS and insert the first recovery disk (cd 1 of 5), the cd start,
 the hdd led light up permanently but the pc screen is all black with only the intermittent
 white cursor
, after a few seconds the cd stops.

I left the pc in this state for 20 minutes and nothing change.

Reboot and tried with another dvd drive and it's the same.

I removed the 500 GB hdd and IDE/SATA adapter then I reinstalled the original 80GB PATA HD
(full of data and can't use recovery disk in it),
 I start XP and insert the first recovery disk to see if the cd has data inside and yes,
 all the data are there.

Can you explain why only with cursor appear on the screen ?
Is the pc trying to format the 500GB hdd?
How long does it takes to format a 500GB hdd?

Can you suggest some test to do?

The last succesfull recovery that I did in the original hdd was 10 years ago and I had no trouble.

Thank you for reading and for answer I hope.

Alessio

Edited by hamluis, 14 October 2015 - 11:04 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:44 PM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer,

On the BIOS can you see the Hard Disk size with the correct number of sectors, heads, etc.?

I really have some doubts that the old motherboard/BIOS can handle a so big hdd (for 2003 standards).

Can you post the brand and model of the IDE/Sata adapter?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 _Alessio_

_Alessio_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:16 PM

I'll have a look tomorrow for the BIOS numbers (hd size/num of sector/heads)

The IDE/Sata adapter is Unbranded/Generic, it's slightly different from this:

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

I'll post the exact pics tomorrow.

Thank you

Edited by _Alessio_, 23 September 2015 - 01:22 PM.

#4 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:28 AM

I think you would be better off using an external adapter and another computer to copy the contents of the 80 gig drive to the 500 gig drive. Then install windows on the original 80 gig pata drive and use the 500 gig drive in the sata adapter as an extra data drive.

#5 _Alessio_

_Alessio_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:21 AM

It's the adapter:

I checked continuity of the adapter board from every single IDE pin to the respective via and got continuity,
 so the problem is the continuity from the via to the the chip or the chip itself.

The chip has too thin pins and I can't use my probe because of their large size.

Here's a SATA WD hd in an ASUS P4S533-X motherboard:
WDC WD3200┴A╩[-88L╗A0
instead of
WDC WD3200AAJS-08L

Also the motherboard ASUS P4S533-X give me another name for my toshiba,
 different from the name my MSI motherboard could read, will report in the future.

I'll write to the seller and report it's not working on 2 different machines.

Character translate:
┴=ALT+193
╩=ALT+202
[=ALT+91
-=ALT+45
╗=ALT+187

Don't buy RXD-629A7-7 adapter or any other adapter that looks like.
They might don't work with several SATA HD.

sku_165213_1.jpg

ATTENTION: WRONG PICTURE IN POST 1 AND 3.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:57 AM

Those adapters are released at the time of transition from IDE to SATA Hard Drives, most of them if not all will only work with SATA I specification, present drives are SATA III 6 Gb/s...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#7 Pentodes

Pentodes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:44 PM

Xp needs Sata Drivers doesn't it? XP has never had Sata drivers.

If so, go to mobo's web site and dl chip-set drivers for XP,  you'll need to open the folder and copy the ACHI folder onto a floppy or whatever.... or copy the recovery disc slip-streaming the ACHI  folder which contains the SATA drivers.

Pretty sure I am right in saying that it's the drive that needs the drivers not the mobo..... Sata drives are backward compatible, A CD rom or whatever isn't going to transfer the data anywhere near the Sata speed of 6Gb/s.....  in some cases they have to be used in IDE mode which is configured in bios, again this depends on the mobo.

Normally, when installing XP on SATA drives as opposed to recovery  it'll load the files then ask for the SATA drivers to be installed usually from a floppy pressing F6 to continue.... what method is used in recovery I can't say.

Best advice though once you get the drive running always keep a cloned drive, so it's always at hand should anything go 'up the spout', this can be done externally, I use Acronis.... there are others around, but do keep updating it regularly and any important files always keep on a slave drive as back up.

Dave

Edited by Pentodes, 08 October 2015 - 12:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users