Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD failing? Slow loading, restarting.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nick_9

Nick_9

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:59 AM

A couple of days ago I left my PC for a few minutes before turning the monitor on again and finding out that it crashed (had graphical glitches on the screen).

I cleaned it immediately, then turned it on only to find out it loaded really slowly. Eventually it just restarted.

I was able to boot up a few times after that and save some of my data, but mostly it just gets stuck on the "Starting Windows" sign. The few times I was able to boot up successfully, it eventually restarted.

I have a Blue Caviar WD drive. It makes a distinct noise whenever my PC boots up - whee, click, click, click. The problem is that it does this continuously now.

Things I tried:

1) reset CMOS battery
2) boot with just 1 RAM stick and in different slots
3) ran Windows memory test; no errors
4) ran memtest86+; 20 passes and no errors
5) try out different molex and SATA cable
6) ran CHKDSK; D: drive no errors, but it did remove some errors on C: drive (corrupt atttibute 128 and more)
7) ran HD sentinel, SeaTools and WD short tests, no errors. HD sentinel shows 100% health and performance. Couldn't run the SeaTools extended test, it froze at 5% and I don't want to run the WD one in fear of losing data.

My configuration:

Intel E8400@3.00GHz (was 3.6 up until the crash)
2x2GB Kingston
GA-P35-DS3R
620w PSU
Gigabyte Radeon HD7950
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
WD5000AAKS-65YGA0

http://oi57.tinypic.com/219qxbq.jpg - HDD S.M.A.R.T. data from HD Sentinel.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:57 AM

I'm serious - do you know where your data files are?  As quickly as possible, copy 'em off onto any available external media! Your hard-drive is failing; HD may have as little as 1 hour spin time, or, maybe 1 day of spin-time.  Copy whatever data files you can. You might have to download a Puppy Linux ISO, create USB or DVD boot, plug in an external HD or storage media, download quickly. Puppy Linux stuff needs to be downloaded & created using another computer.

If you have lots of stuff to save, and Puppy Linux is new to you -- consider paying a local source to save your stuff.

Edited by RolandJS, 23 September 2015 - 11:58 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:32 AM

Hello Nick,

I am sorry to hear about you having problems with your WD drive.

It seems that there is a mechanical damage in your hard drive. As RolandJS mentioned above, the hard drive might fail at any moment. I would encourage you to back up your data as soon as possible.

I would also advise you to check your hard drive's warranty and replace it, if possible.

Warranty Check: http://support.wdc.com/Warranty/warrantyStatus.aspx

RMA Service: http://support.wdc.com/Warranty/rmaStatus.aspx

Keep us posted,

Citizen_WD

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:42 AM

If out of warranty, HDs [platter-driven] are pretty cheap.  SSDs are still pricey. And, the warranties often span 1-2 years; can also buy extended warranty, however, that's a roll of the dice.

Edited by RolandJS, 24 September 2015 - 09:54 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Nick_9

Nick_9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:51 PM

I understand. Thanks for your help. Yeah, uhm, I think it's some 5 years years past warranty, hehehe (ran for ~7.053 years, or 2570ish days). Guess I can't complain, it has served me well. Managed to back most of my data.

What's a good HDD manufacturer these days (if I understand correctly, these change with time)?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:24 PM

There are really only 3 hard drive manufacturers these days...while there are multiple SSD manufacturers.  Hard drives are fading, SSDs are coming in.

Western Digital, Toshiba, and Seagate...are the big three and I've never found one manufacturer superior to the other in terms of quality of work.  Seagate and WD are billion-dollar organizations, Toshiba is a trillion-dollar corporation...I suspect that each will continue to produce quality hard drives as long as there is money to be made by doing such.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2015 - 03:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users