Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update not downloading updates- clean install Win 7

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:45 AM

Just did a clean install of Win 7 SP1 and started windows update- but it just hangs there- with the green light going across the screen- i know this happened when I had win7 before i upgraded to 10. Did MS change the way they do this? In the past- when I would restart the computer it would say-Don't turn of your computer- windows is installing updates- What's going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:07 AM

Try again, please.

What version of IE is installed?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 September 2015 - 11:07 AM.

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:45 PM

8- I am downloading 11 to see if that corrects the problem-!

Edited by paul88ks, 23 September 2015 - 06:18 PM.

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:27 AM

ok- i updated IE to the latest version- and then went back to Windows update- and just let it run- went to work- then got home and Windows update said it had downloaded 199 or so updates but failed to install- so - on a hunch - i decided to restart- and now- windows update is installing the 199 or so updates that it is supposed to install- REALLY? please do not turn off your computer while installing updates- I kind of expected this, but- i realize it's an old computer- Dell - pentium 4 with 4 gigs of RAM- but i don't remember it ever taking this long- trying to figure out a way to explain it to my client----- he said there was no rush- but REALLY?? At this rate, it could be days before i get it back to him- -and BTW - he wants a Linux install on a separate partition- which I know how to do quite well - right now i am hating Windoze alot!

Dell optiplex gx720- Pentium 4 at 2.93 ghz. with 4 gigs of RAM- i told him to start saving his money - he needs a new computer------

Edited by paul88ks, 24 September 2015 - 03:53 AM.

#5 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:25 PM

Maybe IE is the missing link to why i can't get updates to download after i switched back to 7 form 10 .   Where did you download the latest IE from if i may ask ?

On another note ,  i have a machine that has more modern specs than what you listed and it also takes me a full day or more to download and install all those updates so your not alone.

Edited by herbman, 24 September 2015 - 01:27 PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:29 PM

I recommend setting Windows Updates to notify user of available updates, let user choose to download and install.  Then, user can allow updates in clumps of 5-10 at a time.  As Louis said elsewhere, do the updates in order.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:54 PM

Maybe IE is the missing link to why i can't get updates to download after i switched back to 7 form 10 .   Where did you download the latest IE from if i may ask ?

i downloaded it from Microsoft! Just do a Google Search for IE 11-

#8 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:11 PM

Alright thanks.

This is what someone else said about Win 7 updates

You'll be fully updated in 2~3 days. I think MS is prioritizing bandwidth for Windows 10 installs. Every Windows 7 machine I've loaded recently just hangs and hangs on checking for updates when done manually.

Edited by hamluis, 24 September 2015 - 05:46 PM.

#9 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:04 PM

Well - the computer finally downloaded updates- but it doesn't install them until you either shut down or restart.I don't remember MS doing it that way! going on 200+ updates.My DVD was Win 7 home Premium SP1!

#10 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,322 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:29 AM

You'll be fully updated in 2~3 days. I think MS is prioritizing bandwidth for Windows 10 installs. Every Windows 7 machine I've loaded recently just hangs and hangs on checking for updates when done manually.

Well - that's exactly what happened- finally finished installing tonight at a bout 2:00 A.M after  numerous reboots! And still no little upgrade to Win 10 in the corner yet----

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users