Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any way to speed up extremely slow machine? Task Manager: "System" high % of RAM

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:20 PM

Any way to speed up my extremely slow machine? Task Manager always has, for example, "System" at a high % of RAM, always in red zone, but I read online that that's okay, that it just means that what the system isn't working on is referred to as the RAM that isn't being used, but everything is so slow during every step of work, every little step is slow, resulting in too much frustration. If Task Manager has all the answers when it comes to where the RAM is going, is this high % of "System" process really okay? Any way to alleviate any issues? I already googled how to make the system faster which mainly resulted in my uninstalling a lot of unneeded programs but I still don't remember the computer being this slow before Windows 10, for example, even if that may be unrelated.

Attached File  system.jpg   29.81KB   0 downloadsAttached File  9-22-2015 08;24;28PM-.jpg   93.07KB   0 downloads

Edited by andrewset, 22 September 2015 - 07:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:09 AM

When thinking of upgradeing you need to see if your motherboard and bios can support an upgrade and how much you may or may not be able to do.

Belarc advisor is a good tool for this. Sort of a soupped up system information tool. Plus a little more.

That will head you in the right direction.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:34 PM

Something is eating up your RAM.

Likely it's something using the System process - not the System process itself.

Check under the performance tab in Task Manager and open Resource Monitor

Then click on the memory tab and start looking for 3rd party (non-Windows) processes that are eating up the RAM

If this doesn't work, post back for a lot of other things to try.....

Edited by usasma, 23 September 2015 - 07:35 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Baitfish

Baitfish

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:23 PM

Something is eating up your RAM.

Likely it's something using the System process - not the System process itself.

Then click on the memory tab and start looking for 3rd party (non-Windows) processes that are eating up the RAM

If this doesn't work, post back for a lot of other things to try.....

I am having an issue with my ram being ate up, 95% pretty much at all times. I've already checked task manager for processes that could be eating up my ram, but no luck so far. Any ideas?

#5 ChuckPasadena

ChuckPasadena

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:57 PM

I'd use one of the all in one tune-up suites as most have an app that defrags your RAM. Go to the Downloads section and sort them by highest rating. I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you which one works best but I'm confident enough in the people on this site to trust their ratings implicitly. Every utility I've used has been based on their ratings and my 18 month old laptop has run better in the 6 moths since I first found bleepingcomputer.com and followed their advice than it did at any time the first 12 months when it was still under warranty.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:40 AM

baitfish - please start your own topic so that your problem can get the individual attention that it deserves.

Please post these reports in your own topic:

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please provide this information (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Also, try this:

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 LundUK

LundUK

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:35 AM

I had exactly this problem.  It turned out that this disk activity was due to Windows 10 indexing my entire file system, including the contents of documents, etc.  The process didn't start immediately after I installed Windows 10, but it started shortly after and then carried on for a few days. The process starts and stops as you reboot.  It is sometimes difficult to grab control of the PC from the process while it is very active.  The length of time it goes on depends on how many files you have, obviously, but it can take days.  Once initial indexing was completed, the problem stopped.  Windows 10 has been great during the one month since indexing finished.

#8 Randem

Randem

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:33 PM

andrewset,

You were not very clear on your issue so I will go thru a few issues and solutions for your slow computer:

1 - If you just installed Windows 10 then it will be compiling core programs in the background resulting in high CPU and disk usage. If your computer is left idle for a long time; this will complete and restore your system to normal

2 - Windows 10 does a lot of background tasks that you will be completely unaware of. This is the new default for Windows 10 - see items 7 thru 11

3 - Windows 10 is Indexing your file system

4 - Disk defragmentation needs to be done.

5 - Malware or adware

It could be any or a combination of all...

Edited by Randem, 02 October 2015 - 11:33 PM.

People who don't know what they are talking about will provide arguments instead of any valid proof to their claims...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users