Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update problems in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mattflann01

mattflann01

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:49 PM

Hello.
I currently use an Acer Aspire 5253 laptop which I have owned since 2011. Recently, I had a Java-related virus infect it, and after much troubleshooting, I decided to factory reset the laptop as my last option (as other solutions were not working). After the reset, the laptop was running fine (although, during the software installation step, it was stuck on "Installing Sysprep - Factory Mode 35/35" for hours, so I improperly shut it down, but when I restarted the laptop, everything was working fine). With my laptop back to tip shape, I decided that it would be a good idea to get all the updates reinstalled via Windows Update so that I may be lucky enough to upgrade to Windows 10.
I start installing the updates that Windows Update found, and they all installed without a hitch. After a few updates, however, Windows Update said that Windows Update needed to be updated, so after updating to the current version of Windows Update (shown as "Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320"), I had Windows Update try to check for updates. However, after an hour or two of checking for updates, no progress was made, as it was on the "Checking for Updates" step after all that time with the green bar running.
I decided to do a little troubleshooting myself first. I ran a /sfc scannow in the Command Prompt, but it returned showing no issues. Then I attempted to download the Microsoft Fix It for Windows Update, but it would remain stuck on the "Checking the computer for updates" box for a long time. I then ran a MISC scan through the Command Prompt, but it returned "Error 87" when I did both commands. Finding no real solution to the problem, I decided to factory reset the laptop again, which I had it restart the process and download the same software again (It has the issue with "Installing Sysprep - Factory Mode 35/35"  like last time, so I just shut down the laptop like I did last time).
This time, I decided to download the updates one at a time, in chronological order, to see if that would've made a difference. I had just installed the "Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB976932)", and after restarting my computer to complete the update, Windows Update asked for it to have Windows Update update again, and after finishing its update, I tried checking for updates again. However, the problem was still there, as it has remained stuck on  "Checking for Updates" step after all that time with the green bar running.
I am unsure of what to do, as I have done quite a number of things to try to resolve the issue, but have failed to fix the issue. I am unsure what is causing the problem, which is why I am coming here to see if I can get my laptop running again (as it would be a pain on my finances to buy a new laptop).

Thank you for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mattflann01

mattflann01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:22 PM

Disregard my issues with Windows Update: I left it alone about an hour longer, and I returned from my run to find it found around 213 important updates I needed to download.

Now my question is: In what order should I have the updates download? Should I download each update one at a time, or can I allow all of them to download without a hitch? Are there any issues or problems regarding certain updates I should be wary of when I attempt to download the updates?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:45 AM

Let Windows decide the order...that's the approach I take.  I assume that you are only talking about critical updates, since there is no sound reason to install any optional updates.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 September 2015 - 10:47 AM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:52 AM

Louis, would it be better to do 'em in clumps of 5-10?  Of course, in Windows Update given order.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users