Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I uninstall this program?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TimothyTheTurtle

TimothyTheTurtle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:45 PM

I don't know if this is the right place for this post, but I'm currently using avast and there's a program listed under McAfee's name called "Shared C Run-time for x64". Is it safe to uninstall this, or would it be better to just leave it alone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:01 PM

After uninstalling McAfee, did you run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR)?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 eznetso

eznetso

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:59 PM

Many of the Anti-Virus softwares leave trace files on your system if you do not utilize the removal software.  These files can cause a little bit of a mess with the new software you use.  I wouldn't just delete the file and not use the removal tool.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:05 PM

Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. It is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel or to result in various errors due to the presence of related services and processes running in the background.

In some instances uninstalling may fail or not work properly. Most anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities or removal tools on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after uninstalling, or for a failed uninstall or failed reinstall. Remnants include related registry entries, files and folders created in various areas of the OS.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users