Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Right UPS For My Needs?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yookaloco

yookaloco

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:51 PM

Hi all. I recently moved into a new building with terrible electricity. Having blown out power supplies in old computers due to much less obvious wiring issues, I'm scared to set up my machine here, and I want to get a UPS for the sole purpose of filtering the dirty electricity. The more I read about UPSs and watts vs VAs, the more confused I get. Also... money is a massive consideration - I'm living paycheck to paycheck after the move, and I need the computer for work, so every penny counts.

My machine was mid-high range when I got it 4 years ago. Power Supply is 450W. 2 bargain bin Seagate 1TB HDs. Graphics Card is a Radeon 4800 series. Obviously, I game. I do some video and photo editing, and I multi-task. Please let me know what I should be looking for, should beware of, and what $$ range I should stick to. Help me Oh-bleeping Wan computer forums, you're my only hope.  :)

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:09 PM

When I researched one for my needs (looking for clean power) I went with this unit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101419 which runs both my rig sig and a home server with a AMD Hexacore.

What you want/need may be slightly less wattage wise but stay with APC BRxxxxG as this model has the voltage regulation you're asking about.

I've run this for almost 2 yrs now without a hitch. My main rig is always OC'd hard and while stress testing and having the server performing daily duty's I can watch the wattage output on the UPS's LED readout and have run this unit right at the edge of it's rating. It's rated for 865 watts and I've run 862 to 865 watts for hours at a time with no issues.

It's best if you can measure the power at the wall outlet with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

which can be found local usually and there are cheaper versions as well. Maybe someone you know already has one?

Take the wattage reading while running a good stress program  (Prime95 etc) to get a more accurate idea of what you'll need for a wattage minimum while shopping.

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:25 PM

I went to a couple of business-oriented computer stores, asked lots of questions, gave him/her my list of goodies to protect.  Ended up with UPS [Tripp-something] for the computer center and another for the 4VHS-DVD combo recording entertaintment center.  It's monies very well spent!

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 yookaloco

yookaloco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:01 PM

.... What you want/need may be slightly less wattage wise but stay with APC BRxxxxG as this model has the voltage regulation you're asking about.

I've run this for almost 2 yrs now without a hitch. My main rig is always OC'd hard and while stress testing and having the server performing daily duty's I can watch the wattage output on the UPS's LED readout and have run this unit right at the edge of it's rating. It's rated for 865 watts and I've run 862 to 865 watts for hours at a time with no issues.

Wish I could get a kil-o-watt. Maybe I could borrow one from a vendor I might buy from, but for the most part, I'm really stretched that thin, and I don't know anyone with IT gear here.

An APC BR or BE "xxxG" is what I was hoping would work for me, but I may have to go without and save up for a month or two if I'm gonna afford something that is rated for my wattage, which adds other complications (but at least not the complication of losing my computer and all my data). Then there are those articles that say that's overkill, especially since I don't need my machine to run more than a couple of minutes should the power cut out - it's for filtering, after all.

I went to a couple of business-oriented computer stores, asked lots of questions, gave him/her my list of goodies to protect.  Ended up with UPS [Tripp-something] for the computer center and another for the 4VHS-DVD combo recording entertaintment center.  It's monies very well spent!

I'm hoping stories like these, with specifics, will start painting a consensus as to what I need. Thank you both, much appreciated. Keep em comin. :)

#5 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:02 PM

Yes it is all about clean power. Having extra run time was never on my mind.

This one would probably do you real well http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101393 (600 watts)

A little cheaper. I remember what it was like when I purchased mine (was laid off work).

Was always hard to justify spending the funds on voltage protection when all I wanted to do was feed my addiction to OCing lol.

You could probably get by with the BR700G version but it might be close depending on what else you want to protect and the actual work load on the machine. (430 watts)

With power being so shaky something to consider is what about your TV, stereo etc? One UPS can multi function with a little planning.

As for the kill a watt it really isn't a IT tool and a lot of plain ole handyman types might have one in the garage (coworkers/friends). Just have to ask around, it might surprise you.

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

#6 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:32 AM

Keep in mind that not all UPS's clean the power. The lower end UPS's don't clean it. (I was surprised when I learned that, I thought they all did.)

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:56 AM

Concerning working on data files, remember that even a very fast, very short-lasting, brown-out or black-out can eliminate the RAM-stored work in progress, putting you back to whatever the file had before said brown-out or black-out.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users