Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Black Screen with working cursor and odd message offering helpProblem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 1jorviK

1jorviK

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:37 PM

Hi:

I have just signed up for a Bleeping Computer account. My wife's computer had a strange problem yesterday, as follows.  When turning on the computer for the first time in the day, she reported that win 7 opened directly to a black screen with a cursor, and a large print message about viruses  and 3 choice;  she does not remember exactly what the choices were but one was to contact  something for help and a second option was to reboot.  She cannot remember any other details and I was not at home.  She chose to use the cursor to reboot, and (to my surprise) this worked.   The computer shut down promptly and then rebooted normally.  It worked for the rest of the day without any problems.

When I got home, I checked it carefully and could not find anything abnormal. Her antivurus program showed no quarantined files r other problems.  I did a deep scan with the antiviurs program and a complete scan with malware bytes;  neither program identified any bad files or other issues.

the next morning, the computer started up normally and appears to be working as usual.  I checked the event viewer and found a string of error messages at around the time she first saw the black screen..  All of these events appeared to have the same message:

Error     CAPI2  4101

Failed auto update retrieval of third party root certificate from:

<http://ctdl.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trusted/en/D69B561148FO1C77C54578C10926DF58856976AD.crt> with error: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

I was unable to connect to the http site, so I have no idea what microsoft might have told me  I know that you have a comprehensive protocol for diagnosing this kind of issue but I have not done all of the steps in your protocol inasmuch as her computer was working well up to yesterday and has continued to work as usual once she rebooted it. 

If it was not for the funny message she reported on the black screen, which really made me think of some kind of virus, bot etc,  I am writing to ask if you have any thoughts about what might have caused this problem, so that if it occurs again, I can deal with it more thoroughly and submit the information you need for a thorough and proper investigation.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Jorvik

i

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:09 PM

I'd suspect that, for some reason, there was a web page that was open and it was hijacked to display that message.

As your wife didn't click on the page itself, but rather used the normal shutdown process (I presume that's what she did), then she avoided tripping the malware package that was probably hidden in that page.

I'd start by updating everything on the computer:

- Windows Updates

- System Updates (from the system manufacturer's website)

- updating any software - to include things like Java, Reader, Shockwave, Flash, Air, Silverlight, etc

Then I'd also have the folks in the Am I Infected forum look over your stuff - just in case:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 1jorviK

1jorviK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:13 PM

Many thanks for the quick and helpful response.  I only wish I had been present to obtain further details.  The computer is relatively new, is rarely used for web surfing or downloading, and I try to keep things upto date.  She has very few extra software or programs, but I will review all which are present and update whenever I can do so.

Meanwhile, I am pleased that I have finally become invloved with Bleeping Computer, although I was aware of its existence before this time.  I hate to say it, but I hope I don't have too many occasions to call on your help, but it's nice to know that you are there!

1jorvik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users