Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 won't go into sleep mode

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mercuriality

mercuriality

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:42 PM

Hello,

I have a weird problem, and I hope this is in the correct section - my apologies if it isn't. My computer won't go into sleep mode if it's been on for a while. It will go into sleep mode if it's freshly booted. Whenever I check, powercfg -requests is clear. Currently, powercfg -requestsoverride shows process: chrome.exe display system awaymode, driver: \filesystem\srvnet system. When it won't go into sleep mode, it won't even automatically turn off the monitor. My settings are set to allow sleep. Ideally I would like a fix for this, but I would also be okay with some kind of program that puts my computer into sleep mode after 30 minutes. I used to have such a program a long time ago, but I have forgotten the name of it, and googling 'sleep timer' just shows sleep mode tutorials. Googling 'powercfg requests is clear but computer won't go into sleep mode' hasn't been particularly helpful, either. Does anyone have any ideas? I would be happy to provide any more information if it is needed, I wasn't sure what all was relevant. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PeterQ

PeterQ

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:25 PM

I have the same problem and have tried all fixes without success however I found if I sign out it automatically goes into sleep mode after a while , I could always do it manually from the start/ power button but not sure whats going on after the upgrade from windows 7 to W10

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,382 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:28 PM

First step is to update all of these to W10 compatible versions:

- antivirus/internet security

- audio

- video

- chipset

- any Intel utilities installed

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have lessened and I'm able to post/respond without too much difficulty. (05 Sep 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems come on suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 PeterQ

PeterQ

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:45 PM

First step is to update all of these to W10 compatible versions:

- antivirus/internet security

- audio

- video

- chipset

- any Intel utilities installed

Thanks, I tried that but in device manager but after a search it came back with you have the best driver

#5 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:11 AM

Google Windows 10 won't go into sleep mode and you will see a hit on a microosft page.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#6 mercuriality

mercuriality
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:20 PM

I am pretty sure my drivers are up to date, I can go through them later, but would that cause the computer to be able to sleep automatically after it's freshly booted, but not after it's been on for some time?

Also, unfortunately, google doesn't really help because the problem is much more specific than "it won't go to sleep". That directs to a very simple fix that has not helped me; I have all of the settings set the way they recommend, but it won't go to sleep after it's been booted for a while.

Powercfg -requests shows nothing, and I don't know if there's any more detailed way to get information on what's preventing sleep.

Thank you for your help so far, though!

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,382 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:32 PM

Updating through Device Manager won't work - it only offers drivers that are present on Windows/Microsoft update servers.

You must update them either from the device/program manufacturers website, or in some cases, on the system builder's support website.

As no information was given about the system involved, I'm afraid I can't be more specific

As for sleep - it is very affected by drivers.  And problems like sometimes being able to sleep and sometimes not being able to sleep are most likely a software issue that's usually related to the drivers.

Also, drivers can be the most current - yet they may become corrupted - and that may cause problems also.

So we can provide more detailed information, please provide these reports:

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please provide this information (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

The most straightforward way to see what's happening is to use Process Monitor to monitor the system while a sleep transition is occurring.

Then you can look through the log to see what failed when.

Unfortunately, the log file is huge, with thousands of entries every minute - so it requires a bit of skill to locate the errors that pertain to your particular problem.

If you'd like us to have a look at the log file, please do this:

- download Process Monitor (it's free):  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb896645.aspx

- install Process Monitor

- start Process Monitor running a trace

- immediately initiate a sleep transition

- when the sleep transition fails, immediately stop the trace

- zip up a copy of the logfile and upload it to a free file-hosting service such as OneDrive or DropBox

FYI - I'm not real good at this, but have been known to fumble around in the logs a bit.

My point here is that I may not find anything in the logs - simply because I'm not experienced with the specific things I need to look for in this case.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have lessened and I'm able to post/respond without too much difficulty. (05 Sep 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems come on suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users