Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Load Windows

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stotic

Stotic

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:34 PM

Hello, I recently used a program called TuneXp (you might have heard of it). The program offered several options that made your comptuer run more smoothly. My computer is several years old so I looked at it as being an opportunity to squeeze some resources out of it.
After running the program and restarting everything was fine. The next day didn't fair to well though. Windows did not load and instead I received the following error message:

-
file is missing or corrupt:
\Windows\System32\Config\System

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
-

After this I restart the computer with the Windows XP and boot from the cd-rom. The Windows Setup loads a bunch o fdrivers/controllers/etc., then it says the setup is starting windows. I then receive the following error message:

-
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Chec for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

technical information:
*** Stop: 0x0000007B (0XF7B1A524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)
-

I'm kind of left in the dust on how to recover my hard drive or what to do next. If anybody can provide me with some useful guidelines or incite, it would be most appreciated.

Specs -
WinXP Pro
1.4 AMD Athlon
80 GB

Thanks a lot for your assistance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kb1ibh

kb1ibh

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:46 PM

to my knowlage, the best thing you can do at this point is reinstall, or at least repair the existing copy of XP by going into the setup on startup right after the POST

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:52 PM

Well, Stotic, at first glance this does not appear good.

First HERE is an article from Microsoft regarding your particular issue.

If you do not have current backups of your data from your hard drive, you could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive. The working computer should still boot up from the 'good' Master hard drive, and then you will be able to navigate (Start > My Computer) to the slave drive and recover your data. More info on how to install a second drive can be found HERE. I would do this immediately BEFORE trying any repair methods.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:11 PM

Just as a defence for TuneXP - I have been using it for once about 8 months at least once a month (usually only use the recommended for everyone options, and particular like to do the 'Ultra Fast Boot') and haven't had any dramas as yet!
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users