Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard is acting up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Simply Nick

Simply Nick

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:13 AM

It's a rather ''new'', oldschool keyboard. It has been in the dust for a long time, so it has been untouched.

I've owned it for a 3-4 months now, and it has never acted up before now.

Sometimes, keystrokes are not reacting. It's nothing huge, but it bothers me missing out on some buttons. Caps lock seem to have issues, such as turning num lock on as well, then turning off both when I hit the key a few more times. Num lock also has issues - These are persistent, except for the letters sometimes not working.

I just restarted, but got stuck @ Asrock loading screen.

Is it just some keyboard bleepery going on, or something else?

Edited by hamluis, 23 September 2015 - 01:26 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Simply Nick

Simply Nick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:11 PM

Hitting caps lock;

Works normally, writes in caps, removes to ability to use the keyboard at all, turns num lock on/off, forces me to hit keystrokes twice in order to write.

I've reinstalled drivers, cleared for dust etc. No changes. I have to know if they keyboard just needs to be replaced.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:34 PM

Is this a USB connected or wireless keyboard that you would normally find with a desktop or is it a built-in laptop type ?

If it is a desktop computer try a different keyboard, if it is a laptop try plugging in a USB connected one and see if the problems continue. If the problems stop when you try a different keyboard your keyboard is faulty. Even if it is a laptop you have the consolation of knowing that they are usually reasonably cheap and usually not too difficult to replace.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:04 PM

I get this occassionally on desk tops with seperate keyboards. My opinion is that contact is simply not been made when key is pressed. Perhaps due to dust, foreign matter build up, surface rust between contacts .. something like that. I pick it up, give it a good shake, tons of stuff drops out .. hair, food bits, tobacco .. bang it on desk .. more stuff.

Once I sprayed one with WD spray - worked a treat.

If not, buy a new one - $9 !!!

Edited by jargos, 22 September 2015 - 10:04 PM.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#5 Simply Nick

Simply Nick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:40 AM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71zXyV1IiEL._SX522_.jpg

Its this old classic.

Yeah, I'm thinking about just buying a new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users