Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help finding copy of linux or ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 davey crockett

davey crockett

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:39 AM

HI folks

I have a 10 year old acer laptop, with not much ram. I am looking for a good place to download maybe Linux lite or a lite version of Ubuntu as they have both worked fine up till lately. I wanted to try and re install the os on this pc because I come up with an error message (that I cannot correct) each time I try to do updates. So far I have attempted reinstalling Linux lite a couple of times with no success. Does anyone have an idea on where to get a useable copy of the os ( I am in Canada - maybe wrong source is the issue) so I can rule out that this old acer is, or isn't, a boat anchor?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:10 AM

LXLE is an excellent choice for old computers. I use LXLE 12.04.5 32bit on my 10 year old laptop which doesn't have much RAM (768 MB), dual booting with Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.6

Modern versions of Ubuntu and Linux Lite desktops are too graphically intensive to be able to run on old computers

#3 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:13 AM

. . . a 10 year old acer laptop . . . a lite version of Ubuntu . . . where to get a useable copy . . . 

Davey,

Try http://xubuntu.org/ or http://lubuntu.net/ .

lubuntu is a minimal install for low resource or diy builds.

Also, you can try Puppy Linux.

http://puppylinux.org

It has versions for older hardware, as well.

Cheers!

Naught

Edited by Naught McNoone, 22 September 2015 - 11:14 AM.

#4 davey crockett

davey crockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:23 AM

Thanks - I will give your suggestions a whirl - would you know if LXLE will boot off of a thumb drive/usb?

#5 TangoKiloRomeoZulu

TangoKiloRomeoZulu

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:31 AM

Thanks - I will give your suggestions a whirl - would you know if LXLE will boot off of a thumb drive/usb?

You'll be able to live boot LXLE from a bootable USB.

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:40 AM

Yes indeed. You can either use something like Unetbootin and use the ISO, or else install LXLE to the USB drive as if you were installing it to an internal drive.

Of course it will run far more slowly than if it was installed to an internal drive.

more info on LXLE

Edited by Al1000, 22 September 2015 - 11:41 AM.

#7 davey crockett

davey crockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:55 AM

Thx a lot, I will let you know how I fare..

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,002 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:52 PM

HI folks

I have a 10 year old acer laptop, with not much ram. It would be good to know what make and model computer you have?  I also have an old Acer that might be similar to yours.  Edit, I see it now!

Ubuntu 14.10

Travelmate acer

CPU 540@1.86Ghz

1Gb

I am looking for a good place to download maybe Linux lite or a lite version of Ubuntu as they have both worked fine up till lately.   I wanted to try and re install the os on this pc because I come up with an error message (that I cannot correct) each time I try to do updates. So far I have attempted reinstalling Linux lite a couple of times with no success. 

What distro Version where you using.  If it was out of date then maybe that was an issue, or maybe there is something wrong with the pc.  Did you record the Error Message?

Does anyone have an idea on where to get a useable copy of the os ( I am in Canada - maybe wrong source is the issue) so I can rule out that this old acer is, or isn't, a boat anchor?  Generally I go straight to the source.

Answers in Blue Above

Lots of good suggestions above.  Typically I will Burn a DVD to run linux in Live Mode just to see if I like it, DVD-RW or R or + will work.  If you have a good idea of what you want - the LiveUSB boots up faster - and you can use it for a while - making changes to it that can be saved.  With the LiveDVD you cannot Save anything to the OS, but you can save stuff over to a usb, or another OS if another is installed.

My Acer was real quirky and had some minor issues with LXLE, hopefully that won't be the case with you as LXLE is quite nice.  I also ran Mint Mate 17.1 and 17.  Actually ran many in LiveDVD Mode first, so if yours is like mine I could help out, the Speccy is in my Signature. 

If yours is like mine, everything I ran was to slow and glitchy with graphics, and that was with 2gb of ram.  The issue I had was with the AMD stuff and the wireless card.  I ended up with Mint Xfce 13.  I tried all Mint 13's and none ran less Overhead on CPU or RAM - Way Less!  Hopefully yours has different hardware LOL.

Edited by pcpunk, 22 September 2015 - 01:09 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:13 PM

Thx a lot, I will let you know how I fare..

You're welcome. Look forward to hearing how you get on. Please let us know if you have any more questions.

#10 davey crockett

davey crockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:24 PM

Well, no success on getting this machine to boot on 32 bit versions of Linux that I downloaded to a disc and flash. My issue with Linux lite is that I cannot run printer software or stuff like netflix, but I was able to do all current updates after following some instructions via the terminal fx. Will see how things go from here, thx again for the input.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,002 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:07 PM

Wait, do you know how to do this?  You said that you ran Linux before?  You can't download to DVD or USB you have to Burn Image to DVD, or use one of the popular Installers to make a LiveLinuxUSB.  If you need help just say so on which medium you want to try first.

Edited by pcpunk, 22 September 2015 - 06:07 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,002 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:17 PM

Would help if you posted your Acer Model.  Here is a link to instructions for burning Image to disk in windows 7.  Note, it is a link to anther Topic on the Linux forum. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/590959/step-by-step-needed-for-a-newbie-please/#entry3823422

You can use this Software to make a LiveLinuxUSB: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Then of course - you will have to change the Boot Order, if you need help with that just say the word.

Edited by pcpunk, 22 September 2015 - 06:22 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users