Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Panel Doesn't Exist

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 falconmd

falconmd

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:25 PM

I finally installed SP2 a couple of weeks ago. :thumbsup:
Now I have no control panel. It starts to search when I click on settings then the window closes out never bringing up the services normally associated with control panel. How do I get there?

TIA

MD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:22 PM

See if this helps:
kellys-korner

Restore the Control Panel - #256, on the Left

NOTE: This is a registry edit. If you're not familiar with working in the registry, DO NOT ATTEMPT.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 falconmd

falconmd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:19 AM

Thanks Tg1911,

Tried the registry edit and it still didn't work. Same results, starts to open searching for files then blanks out back to desktop.

MD

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:45 AM

Try running sfc /scannow

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:50 AM

If this is a problem you've encountered because of installing SP2, you should try contacting Microsoft.

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).
There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.
International customers can get support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries.
Phone numbers for international support can be found at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:40 PM

Any reason not to try uninstalling th SP2 update and seeing if it comes back? I have had to uninstall it on a couple of other computers because of bad results from installing it, and things went back to normal. I always make a restore point, just to be safe. Just a thought.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:04 PM

You can do that but it's a huge file and would be a real pain to install it again, which you must do. Running XP without SP2 would be a dangerous and reckless thing to do.
Are you sure the computer was clean of malware before you installed SP2?
Malware on the computer while installing SP2 can cause severe problems.

If you are sure the computer was clean I think you would be better off calling Microsoft's free support number and see if they have a fix that would be more efficacious, which they should have.

If not, uninstall it, do what it takes to remove whatever malware exists and then reinstall it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users