Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Installation Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tangentsrcs

tangentsrcs

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:14 PM

ok i have win2k sp4 and i am trying to install xp. when i put the cd into the drive, it autoruns normally. i can seleect most of the options, but by choosing "install" or "check compatability" the pc immediatly freezes and wont respond. i also tried to boot from it (to do a clean install) but no luck... it says the normal press any key to boot from cd, then when a key is pressed, it just freezes for about 1-2 minutes and then just reboots. it sound like the cd is bad to me but i was wondering if there might be any other explanation? any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kb1ibh

kb1ibh

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:28 PM

another thing to try might be to swap out one of your cdrom drives with another one... in the past, ive had alot of issues with cdrom drives not being able to read or boot from XP discs...

another thing to consider is if its pirated or not... if it is, buy a copy... most burn from ISO's dont boot very well....

if none of the above work, look at your mobo manufacturers site and look if theres a BIOS firmware update...

#3 tangentsrcs

tangentsrcs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:46 PM

thanks... ill see whats up

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:22 AM

If this is not a new, never used Windows Full Installation cd or a Windows XP Pro upgrade CD it will not install.
If it is a New, full Installallation Windows XP Home CD (not an upgrade cd) you must reformat the hard disk to install it.
If it is new upgrade CD it will not install over Windows 2000 as Windows 2000 is a pro version and not compatable with Home Update.

If you are trying to use a pirated CD the key number will not authenticate and the XP operating system will completely shut down in 30 days rendering the computer useless.

If you have a legitimate, never used Windows XP Full installation cd or a legitimate XP Pro Upgrade and you have the 25 digit Microsoft key number that came with it, enter your bios and make sure boot from cd is the first on the list.

Place the cd in the drive and reboot your system.

When you say "I selected MOST of the options", what exactly do you mean?

What happens?

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 July 2006 - 12:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users